News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

^Exactly. It's a short cut maintenance takes when they don't have enough time to refill the tanks/fix the plumbing issue. Just throw a box of wet wipes in 'er, sad but true.

It would be nice if the train crew made an announcement that there are plenty of seats a few cars away. I bet some people might take them up on the offer.

- Paul

Well, I took the LSW home from the Jays game last evening, and there were repeated PA announcements made telling passengers that there was more space at the east end of the train. The difference in loading was very significant - with a sell-out crowd leaving the game, the west end of the 22:13 train was at crush capacity, while we had no problem getting seats in the easternmost car.

When we reached Exhibition, the announcement was "this train is full, please do not board, we have a second train just leaving Union, it will be along shortly".... similar to what one hears on the TTC subway after a delay.

I suspect the issue with the new York loading pattern is chronic and something GO will have to grapple with generally.

I'm showing my age, (perhaps, although I do remember being young once :) ) - anyways, I found the level of drunkenness on the train a bit disturbing, I had a similar experience coming home from the Pan Am games when there was a concert at Ontario Place. There was an altercation on our car that almost got the passenger alarm pushed. There were GO officers on the platform at Union - I'm afraid to say, their presence on the trains at night would be welcome.

- Paul

Pretty much all event trains load like that. Similar things happen at Exhibition station, with everyone crossing the tunnel and coming out at the west end of the train.

After every single TFC game when I take LSW, if I walk down to the accessibility coach, I will easily be able to find a seat, and there will often be empty seats upon departure. Yet at the west end of the train, there are people being left on the platform.

The crew has been making announcements all season about moving eastward, and things haven't changed much. It still takes 10+ minutes to board and depart.

After every single TFC game when I take LSW, if I walk down to the accessibility coach, I will easily be able to find a seat, and there will often be empty seats upon departure. Yet at the west end of the train, there are people being left on the platform.

The crew has been making announcements all season about moving eastward, and things haven't changed much. It still takes 10+ minutes to board and depart.
I'm often on the eastbound platform, watching the comedy on the westbound. I never hear any announcements until after the train has arrived. It seems particularly bad when there's a 10-car train instead of a 12-car, as the empty two spots are on the west end of platform. I fail to see on weekends, how they don't have enough 12-car trainsets to use these exclusively.

Pretty much all event trains load like that. Similar things happen at Exhibition station, with everyone crossing the tunnel and coming out at the west end of the train.

Why are the train crews left to do this? Wouldn't be more effective to have people on the platform encouraging even spacing before the train arrives?

If this is a chronic problem with event trains, I think GO needs to put additional resources towards it. And if they don't want to pay 100% of that cost, why not go cap-in-hand to MLSE/venue host?

I've experienced that as well. I'm surprised GO doesn't take a page from the TTC and have pylons up and employees directing traffic like they did for a while (and maybe still do) at Bloor-Yonge during peak. At least someone standing at the top of the stairs saying "please move down this way", and then someone a bit further down that way telling them to move down even more if needed. It may cost a little bit more, but it would raise the GO customer experience immensely, as being packed into a car like a sardine isn't exactly great. At the very least, these employees would stop people from blocking the top of the stairs! (biggest pet peeve when boarding a GO train)

I've experienced that as well. I'm surprised GO doesn't take a page from the TTC and have pylons up and employees directing traffic like they did for a while (and maybe still do) at Bloor-Yonge during peak. At least someone standing at the top of the stairs saying "please move down this way", and then someone a bit further down that way telling them to move down even more if needed. It may cost a little bit more, but it would raise the GO customer experience immensely, as being packed into a car like a sardine isn't exactly great. At the very least, these employees would stop people from blocking the top of the stairs! (biggest pet peeve when boarding a GO train)

Very good point.

Guys, we should collaborate on a letter to GO.

Very good point.

Guys, we should collaborate on a letter to GO.

Agreed! It will become especially troublesome if the Jays are playing October baseball at the same time that the Leafs and Raptors are playing. Sold out Rogers Centre + Sold out ACC letting out at the same time could be really really bad if it isn't managed properly.

I'm often on the eastbound platform, watching the comedy on the westbound. I never hear any announcements until after the train has arrived. It seems particularly bad when there's a 10-car train instead of a 12-car, as the empty two spots are on the west end of platform. I fail to see on weekends, how they don't have enough 12-car trainsets to use these exclusively.
Yes, the actual train crew is announcing the need to move downwards. There usually is not someone on the platform doing this.

I believe that I have heard an announcement over the PA system at Exhibition, though. But it is certainly not announced every time.

Why are the train crews left to do this? Wouldn't be more effective to have people on the platform encouraging even spacing before the train arrives?

If this is a chronic problem with event trains, I think GO needs to put additional resources towards it. And if they don't want to pay 100% of that cost, why not go cap-in-hand to MLSE/venue host?
I agree. GO does a bad job at this. The train crew does what it can, but there really needs to be herders on the platform.

There is signage that you can see from the platform, but not when the platform is packed with people.

This discussion took place about a month ago, maybe in this thread or another. There are only three or four available at Willowbrook on the weekends - the rest are in storage in Hamilton, Henry St., Oshawa and elsewhere, Milton I think, so they're not all available unless you want to have crews deadheading them all back on Friday night and then deadheading them out again after service ends on Sunday night.

Yes, the actual train crew is announcing the need to move downwards. There usually is not someone on the platform doing this.

I believe that I have heard an announcement over the PA system at Exhibition, though. But it is certainly not announced every time.

First time I have heard announcements was after the last home game with Montreal.....I had to leave the match a bit early to pick someone up at the airport but it was a bit comical because the lady making the announcement could, clearly, see the platform (likely on monitors) and surprised people with customized messages.....like "please do not sit on the accessibility ramps".....then moments later "to the lady sitting on the accessibility ramp on the eastbound platform please do not do that".....the announcements about where to stand were also much better that day....abandoning words like "east end" "west end" and adopting "please move down in the direction of the CN tower" and "no one further from the CN tower than the orange sign will be able to board"

Improvements are happening....but, like Nfitz, I find it shocking with all of those parked trains that they cannot schedule to make sure that it is all 12 car trains.

This discussion took place about a month ago, maybe in this thread or another. There are only three or four available at Willowbrook on the weekends - the rest are in storage in Hamilton, Henry St., Oshawa and elsewhere, Milton I think, so they're not all available unless you want to have crews deadheading them all back on Friday night and then deadheading them out again after service ends on Sunday night.

that's excatly what they should do. GO does not exist as a model railway for the pleasure of the people operating it. It is a public asset/service that should have as its one and only goal moving as many people as possible as safely and comfortably as possible. Parking 12 car trains all weekend while 10 car trains cause a convenience, capacity and safety problem at events scheduled well in advance does not meet that goal/mandate.

I happen to believe the best thing for relieving the crush loads, capacity issues and parking issues on the Lakeshore lines on weekends like last weekend is service on the other lines. This past weekend we had the Ex, sold out BMO and sold out Rogers Centre.....GO had parked trains and empty parking lots while customers crushed onto trains after circling neighbourhoods for parking. The resources of the system are not being properly managed/maximized for the benefit of their customers (who in this case also happen to be the owners).

Agreed! It will become especially troublesome if the Jays are playing October baseball at the same time that the Leafs and Raptors are playing. Sold out Rogers Centre + Sold out ACC letting out at the same time could be really really bad if it isn't managed properly.
A peek at the potential play-off schedules already indicates that there may be both a Blue Jays and Toronto FC playoff game at the same time! Though probably not much worse than the Ex and Blue Jays at the same time.

Last edited:

I have drafted something. I encourage anyone interested to provide comments.

https://goo.gl/IUOYL8

that's excatly what they should do. GO does not exist as a model railway for the pleasure of the people operating it. It is a public asset/service that should have as its one and only goal moving as many people as possible as safely and comfortably as possible. Parking 12 car trains all weekend while 10 car trains cause a convenience, capacity and safety problem at events scheduled well in advance does not meet that goal/mandate.

I happen to believe the best thing for relieving the crush loads, capacity issues and parking issues on the Lakeshore lines on weekends like last weekend is service on the other lines. This past weekend we had the Ex, sold out BMO and sold out Rogers Centre.....GO had parked trains and empty parking lots while customers crushed onto trains after circling neighbourhoods for parking. The resources of the system are not being properly managed/maximized for the benefit of their customers (who in this case also happen to be the owners).
Completely agree. Well said.

Back