and I don't recall any service notices on twitter from UP letting people know that the service was interrupted in this fashion.
UP did tweet about this as it happened. Was the only example of this I could actually find in their tweet history this year ... which surprised me.

and I don't recall any service notices on twitter from UP letting people know that the service was interrupted in this fashion.

They tweeted a Service Alert on March 3. We have delays on our service due to an equipment problem & a track switch problem. Pls see #UPExpress staff for information.

Why do we have to see staff for info? Why can't they just tell us the info? Back in September they had a major signal problem and service was shut down all morning. Buses were brought in. UP express didn't tweet about it until after the problem was resolved!

I can assure you this occurred. As can United Airlines, who had to rebook my itinerary and those of other passengers who missed flights.

Well if the price was changed again so someone can hop on at weston with a TTC transfer and not have to pay again then we would see if there would be a commuter crowd

Oh, FFS. Would free be an OK price for you, Palma? Or, like negative interest rates, I need to pay you to get on the train?

No one has ever said that it should be free...

The poster being replied to was saying a TTC/GO transfer should be included in the price. $4.70 (ish) subtract a $2.90 TTC transfer is $1.80. Pretty damn close to free for a commuter train.

Subtract a GO base fare/transfer it is, in fact, roughly free.

I was a strong advocate of an included TTC/GO transfer at the old pricing, or maybe at a Pearson Presto pricing of $15 or so, but absolutely not at the $9 pearson/$4~5 intermediary fares.

If you want to look at it that way. But why shouldn't TTC and GO fares ever be integrated?

I don't know - I certainly did not state that in my post; I simply pointed out that while you said "No one has ever said that it should be free..." the previous poster had, in fact, essentially said that it should.

I definitely believe TTC and GO fares should have some degree of integration--believe me, as someone who lived very close to Exhibition GO station, having experienced the ridiculously high per-km fare structure for the trip to Union combined with no TTC fare integration, I'm a big supporter of it. However I do not agree that a UPX ride should effectively become free of charge. There is a tremendously wide field of values to work with between "no fare integration" and "one service becomes completely free", and even if TTC/GO give one another a free transfer, I would definitely object to UPX being included in that because then the trains would become overcrowded and it would become 100% useless to air travellers.

I don't know - I certainly did not state that in my post; I simply pointed out that while you said "No one has ever said that it should be free..." the previous poster had, in fact, essentially said that it should.
$1.90 and free are still two totally different things...there are many transit systems in the U.S. with a fare less than $1.90. Like I said, no one has ever said that it should be free.

Oh, FFS. Would free be an OK price for you, Palma? Or, like negative interest rates, I need to pay you to get on the train?
lol, getting paid to ride UPX sounds good to me. But no it should not be free, well again using TTC transfer, guess it would be free then

$1.90 and free are still two totally different things...there are many transit systems in the U.S. with a fare less than $1.90. Like I said, no one has ever said that it should be free.

If you've been following this thread, you should know Palma has been advocating for a lower fare consistently. It is obvious (to me at least) that Palma would like a free ride to the airport if and when he/she should ever deign to go, and therefore his/her opinion on the matter of pricing is irrelevant.

Where in the US can you get to an airport on an express train for $1.90? Genuine question.

If you've been following this thread, you should know Palma has been advocating for a lower fare consistently. It is obvious (to me at least) that Palma would like a free ride to the airport if and when he/she should ever deign to go, and therefore his/her opinion on the matter of pricing is irrelevant.

Where in the US can you get to an airport on an express train for $1.90? Genuine question.
I have been following this thread and never got that impression. You're making assumptions here.

I never said you could get to an airport express train for $1.90.

If you want to look at it that way. But why shouldn't TTC and GO fares ever be integrated?

"Integrated" is such a flimsy and stupid term.

If you want it reduced, then say that. That is explicitly and solely what you want, right? You don't want one fare that is identical in sum to the current fares, right?

Say you want it reduced, or lower, or cheaper, or whatever. Don't couch it in the sad bafflegab of backroom Metrolinx boffins and politicos.

A combined or integrated fare is of zero relevance or meaning to anyone. It's a farcical, pointless word proffered for argument over to distract from the reality it can ultimately serve to increase fares for everyone, everywhere.

Last edited:

Back