I hope to god that they'll be clad in precast or something... and not left like that. :D

Probably not:

urbantoronto-1230-3702.jpg

(NORR/UT)

You can see the columns pretty much as is. Personally I am more worried about the glass roof and the flooring. It'd be so cheap looking if they just leave it as concrete floors.

AoD

Last edited:
Some additional photos not in the article:
DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

DSC_0496.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0499.jpg
    DSC_0499.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_0498.jpg
    DSC_0498.jpg
    835.4 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0481.jpg
    DSC_0481.jpg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0496.jpg
    DSC_0496.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0495.jpg
    DSC_0495.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC_0483.jpg
    DSC_0483.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 310
I hope to god that they'll be clad in precast or something... and not left like that. :D

I don't mind the exposed ironwork. Reflects that train station feel seen throughout the rest of the station including some of the new finishings. I just wish it had been done in black.

Here's a more recent rendering of how it'll look:

1230-64065.jpeg

Yes. Concrete flooring.

Though, to be fair, what's there now doesn't look finished. There are exposed holes where the canopy pillars are being inserted and the floor is rough. It'll likely receive a final sidewalk like paving at the end.

Last edited:
Here's a more recent rendering of how it'll look:

1230-64065.jpeg

Yes. Concrete flooring.

Though, to be fair, what's there now doesn't look finished. There are exposed holes where the canopy pillars are being inserted and the floor is rough. It'll likely receive a final sidewalk like paving at the end.
Concrete makes sense as it will be semi outside anyway plus concret is less slippery and easier to maintain in wet conditions if anything happened.

People will be walking in here having just been outside, so especially in the winter they will be tracking in a lot of water. Wet conditions will not be a rarity.

People will be walking in here having just been outside, so especially in the winter they will be tracking in a lot of water. Wet conditions will not be a rarity.

Something like granite, interlocking stone or cobblestone are nicer outdoor flooring options. Even concrete pavers would have been better than poured concrete sidewalk.

Meh, I don't mind concrete floors. I think given the aesthetic of everything else, going with something nicer than a concrete floor would be out of place.

Additionally, it will be able to withstand the foot traffic forever.

That's pretty much true for all buildings with an exterior entrance. If you can have outdoor plazas paved with granite (heck, even the Union Station entrance plaza is clad in it), there is no reason why that would be an issue here. This is cheap.

AoD

That's pretty much true for all buildings with an exterior entrance. If you can have outdoor plazas paved with granite (heck, even the Union Station entrance plaza is clad in it), there is no reason why that would be an issue here. This is cheap.

AoD

To clarify, my comment was with respect to EastYorkTTCFan saying "concret is less slippery and easier to maintain in wet conditions if anything happened" which made it sound like being wet would be some sort of anomaly. I didn't include it as a reply since it was a pretty contiguous chain of posts at the time.

There will be less outdoor traffic once the PATH connection is fully indoors. I'd prefer polished concrete or granite/stone.

But as long as aesthetic is worked with, I'll go with it.

Back