I'm not a fan of that aspect of the station either, though standards for finishes tend to be better for enclosed shopping areas vs. train platforms. This shopping area seems substandard.

As much as we gussy it up, it is a train station, not a luxury shopping mall. It won't be a major destination for the rich and powerful of the world to congregate and enjoy their caviar while sipping champagne. People will stop at the shops on their way to/from the train, a few people from the closer PATH buildings might prefer some of the food options at Union, but that's about it. When it comes to floor finishes, a practical, economical, all-season (not damaged by salt tracked in) solution should be prioritized over an expensive, easily damaged one that looks a bit better.

It may be covered, but on balance it's still an outdoor space. Put beautiful flooring in the great hall, nice flooring in the rest of the interior (concourses and retail), and concrete outside. Seems reasonable to me.

I'm not a fan of that aspect of the station either, though standards for finishes tend to be better for enclosed shopping areas vs. train platforms. This shopping area seems substandard.
I feel like the moat is more supposed to be like a covered patio/ walkway more than an extension of the station itself.

I'm not sure if this is already there or there are plans for it, but I think if there's a food store like a 7-11 that sells premade boxed lunches, either on the departure Hall or the platforms themselves I think it would do very well financially and for the riders. while I was in Japan, there were several of these stalls on the platforms and at the departure halls and they sold boxed lunches like hotcakes. I think it would do very well on the corridor routes especially for the morning to noon commuters as they would be able to buy and eat something for cheap from the platform and take it on the train.

As much as we gussy it up, it is a train station, not a luxury shopping mall. It won't be a major destination for the rich and powerful of the world to congregate and enjoy their caviar while sipping champagne. People will stop at the shops on their way to/from the train, a few people from the closer PATH buildings might prefer some of the food options at Union, but that's about it. When it comes to floor finishes, a practical, economical, all-season (not damaged by salt tracked in) solution should be prioritized over an expensive, easily damaged one that looks a bit better.

It may be covered, but on balance it's still an outdoor space.

I don't find poured concrete surfaces to be that practical. You have to be careful not to snub the expansion cut with your foot, or you'll damage the tips of your dress shoes. I prefer the finishes of many a PATH tunnel like stone pavers and terrazzo. Those finishes don't get damaged by salt residue. Just give me a PATH-style environment, and I'll be happy. I don't see how an enclosed walkway can be considered an outdoor space.

But aren't we doing this partly because we wanted it to be a shopping mall? To settle for cast concrete here when we didn't even use that for either the GO concourse, Front Street or the stairs leading down to the moat because it is "practical" sounds odd.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is already there or there are plans for it, but I think if there's a food store like a 7-11 that sells premade boxed lunches, either on the departure Hall or the platforms themselves I think it would do very well financially and for the riders. while I was in Japan, there were several of these stalls on the platforms and at the departure halls and they sold boxed lunches like hotcakes. I think it would do very well on the corridor routes especially for the morning to noon commuters as they would be able to buy and eat something for cheap from the platform and take it on the train.

Isn't the boxed lunch on the train deal somewhat of a cultural tradition. I came across a tv show about the shinkensen (sp?) and the host mentioned how purchasing a boxed lunch at the station to eat on the train is very popular. I'm not saying we don't have the same culture here (bringing food onto the train and consuming it), however I think there is a greater proportion of people bringing the food from outside.

I've always thought we should have "meal deals' like they have in the UK. There's always a Tesco, Sainsbury's, Mark's, etc in the train station and for £3.50 you get a decent quality pre-made sandwich, pop and a bag of crisps (chips). I lived on those things when I was travelling around.

I've always thought we should have "meal deals' like they have in the UK. There's always a Tesco, Sainsbury's, Mark's, etc in the train station and for £3.50 you get a decent quality pre-made sandwich, pop and a bag of crisps (chips). I lived on those things when I was travelling around.

I'm not sure if you've been to fast food establishments in Canada before, but that is very common here. They are often referred to as "combos".

Status update from the May Gov Mgmt Committee meeting:

Item: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.GM21.14
Report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/gm/bgrd/backgroundfile-103901.pdf

Stage 2/3
• Exterior restoration of the East Wing is 50% complete.
• Great Hall Restoration: East and West arches, including windows, north wall and ceiling cleaning complete, south wall 33% complete.
• Front Street West Moat: all underground work complete and ready for Moat Installation.
• Front Street East Moat: 75% of underground work complete and passenger switchover completed successfully.
• East Wing ground floor over 50% complete.
• Bay Concourse/Retail: Excavation 95% complete; Structural column replacements almost completed; 50% of new Bay Concourse suspended slab completed; 30% of slab on grade completed.
Future Milestones Planned
Substantial Completion of Stage 2/3 currently expected in February 2018 (excluding York and Bay Street moat covers; mid 2018), which includes the restoration of the Bay Concourse, VIA Concourse, Great Hall, remaining retail areas and East Wing exterior façade. This will trigger the turnover of the Bay Concourse to Metrolinx for final fixturing. After this time, the City will have no control of the actual timing of the opening of the Bay Concourse to the public.

Updated Schedule
Project completion is currently scheduled in early 2018. This is based upon and within the parameters of the awarded Stage 2/3 construction contract to Bondfield Construction Co. and represent their contractual schedule. Note this completion date excludes the Bay and York Street Moat Covers per the construction contract. This remains a very challenging objective and the project team is working diligently to achieve this target.

Head Lease Agreement
Since the Head Lease Agreement was signed in 2009 the vision of the Station becoming a commercial retail hub and a world class destination has taken form. In August of 2009 Council authorized the CCO to administer and manage the Head Lease Agreement with the Head Lessee, Osmington Inc. Since then City staff have been working with Osmington Inc. in managing and maximizing the value of the current and future retail spaces within the Station. In February 2016, the City and Osmington Inc. entered into a retail enhancement agreement which will generate additional revenue for both the Head Lessee and the City through sponsorship and retail tenant percentage rent. Staff will continue to work with Osmington Inc. on potential enhancements to this space and will report back to Council in the future on any matters that require its determination or direction.

The newly created retail space within Union Station is expected to open in phases as construction progresses. Raw retail spaces are turned over to Osmington to take possession, Osmington completes the necessary base building retail work, the unit is then turned over to the tenant for tenant fit-up. Typically this process would take four months however, if the tenant space is used for a restaurateur the fit-up could take six to eight months. The York Street Promenade, and the Front Street Promenade (West side only) will open for business in November 2017. The West Wing TD Credit Card Lounge will open in the Fall of 2017. The Food Court will have a soft opening in the spring of 2018. It is anticipated that all of the retail in the station will be open in the spring of 2019. (p 8-9)

AoD

But aren't we doing this partly because we wanted it to be a shopping mall? To settle for cast concrete here when we didn't even use that for either the GO concourse, Front Street or the stairs leading down to the moat because it is "practical" sounds odd.

AoD
I though the Moat was supposed to remain open at the neds hence why they are putting in doors for both the TTC and the new Go Concroses. If the Moat is an outdoor space then concret may be the best option.

Back