"The original phase 2 was pretty much a twin of the phase 1 east tower (see thumbnail), however MaRS is so successful, they revised phase 2 to this much larger, more ambitious design. "

Despite all of the photo-ops and bragging, I've been told by well placed sources that, in fulfilling its original mandate, it has largely been a failure. The original concept was to create a place where the public sector researchers would interact with the private sector in order to facilitate the commercialization of innovative discoveries. The private sector has mostly come to the conclusion that the high rents at MARS cannot be commercially justified. The new space will be mostly occupied by university, hospital and other public sector researchers. The private sector is shying away.

Despite all of the photo-ops and bragging, I've been told by well placed sources that, in fulfilling its original mandate, it has largely been a failure. The original concept was to create a place where the public sector researchers would interact with the private sector in order to facilitate the commercialization of innovative discoveries. The private sector has mostly come to the conclusion that the high rents at MARS cannot be commercially justified. The new space will be mostly occupied by university, hospital and other public sector researchers. The private sector is shying away.
Edit/Delete Message

I work in MaRS and this is hardly the case. Although the east tower is mainly filled with public institutions the remainder of the complex is filled up with private companies. The second tower will be primarily filled with pharmaceutical, financial and law/patent offices. I can vouch that the public/private interaction is indeed working; I am currently collaborating with a private lab in the building on a few projects.

Is the interaction between public and private enterprise really that crucial to the success of this project? I would think that if private enterprise stays away, but that the public sector fills it up, it would still be a success-no?

p5

One of the reasons for MaRS is the private component. They want to spin off private sector jobs as well. Sort of the way Stanford University in California was instrumental in creating Silicon Valley

I work in MaRS and this is hardly the case. Although the east tower is mainly filled with public institutions the remainder of the complex is filled up with private companies. The second tower will be primarily filled with pharmaceutical, financial and law/patent offices. I can vouch that the public/private interaction is indeed working; I am currently collaborating with a private lab in the building on a few projects.

Excellent news!

2111661448_1957539f6b_b.jpg

Its a magnet to dig out all the loose re-bar after the excavator has already dug out a section. The operator just moves it slowly along the top of the pile and in the ditch and it all comes zooming out. Kind of ghostlike and very cool to watch.

Wow... they have an attachment for everything. hahaha

Thanks for the picture. It will be good to watch this building go up. In the excitement over Bay-Adelaide, Telus, etc. this big building may have been overlooked by some of us.

January 16th Update

Some movement at the MaRS site now.

PICT1227.jpg

PICT1229.jpg

PICT1230.jpg

indeed! it could easily hold 4 trump Towers! Really looking forward too seeing this corner revitalized in such a big way! Should be cool to look down University from Queens Park and see an uninterupted wall on either side of the avenue....

Back