News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The problem with FB (which Google and Twitter also suffers, but never to the sheer intimate extent) is algorithmic as well - pushing and defaulting my timeline in a way that supposedly prioritizes what I want and not want to see first. No thanks - glad to have purged my account.

AoD

The problem with FB (which Google and Twitter also suffers, but never to the sheer intimate extent) is algorithmic as well - pushing and defaulting my timeline in a way that supposedly prioritizes what I want and not want to see first. No thanks - glad to have purged my account.

AoD
Oh that has really irked me recently.

I went onto the Fossil website looking at what type of bags they had sometime in December. Since then, I have had Fossil ads on Facebook.

Google/Facebook have given up all subtlety at this point with their algorithim.

It is also the de facto internet messenger in North America seeing as for some reason, WhatsApp is not popular here. (Though, you only need to make the most barebones account to take use of Facebook Messenger).
Ironically enough, WhatsApp is owned by Facebook. Go figure.

Meanwhile, Japanese messaging app LINE is popular in Japan and Thailand the last time I checked and it's owned by a South Korean conglomerate.

I have the gut feeling that Facebook would purchase LINE from said South Korean conglomerate (or even the whole conglomerate itself) within the next decade.

Sorry, didn't quote...this is a response to WislaHD

That's true and importantly for me it has become the de facto source of events news for the music scene I'm in....so I get friends who are on it to keep me in the know when I need to know. :)

I used to have a FB account but the place became a bog of misery and creepiness....I had to extract myself. I never look back.

I'm not knocking ya, I'm just saying, for me....no thank you, Mr Zuckerberg, I'm fine without.

I went onto the Fossil website looking at what type of bags they had sometime in December. Since then, I have had Fossil ads on Facebook.

Google won't stop reminding me that I have an interest in Dyson (which I purchased 3 months ago at HBC) and that I like the Hakka restaurant down the street....you know, the one I'm clearly aware of and already eat at because I discovered it on a walk when I first moved here (because I searched for their phone number twice).

Facebook....is where groups and organizations post important updates, events and other relevant content. It is the platform where my peer group in university organizes study sessions, share notes, ask questions, organize pub nights.
My bike club and other associations use Google Groups for this purpose. It works better for my bike club since not everyone has FB, but all have email, since google groups can email to those without gmail accounts.

My bike club and other associations use Google Groups for this purpose. It works better for my bike club since not everyone has FB, but all have email, since google groups can email to those without gmail accounts.
Personally, I think Facebook is sort of dying as a platform (the youth uses instagram, and instagram is not designed for the purposes described above).

I would welcome it if Google Groups took over for those purposes. However, it is not enough to make a good platform, you need people to actively use it. Everyone has a gmail account nowadays as it is tied to your android phone, but how regularly does anyone check their Google+ page for example?

I would welcome it if Google Groups took over for those purposes. However, it is not enough to make a good platform, you need people to actively use it. Everyone has a gmail account nowadays as it is tied to your android phone, but how regularly does anyone check their Google+ page for example?
IDK what Google+ is, but for Google Groups, my bike club seems to like it. We have one admin account that sends all official news, ride plans, etc., that we can reply to, but only to the admin, and another banter account where we can all rattle on about anything. Many group members only subscribe to the former.

Personally, I think Facebook is sort of dying as a platform (the youth uses instagram, and instagram is not designed for the purposes described above).
Ironically, Instagram is owned by Facebook. Go figure.

In a few decades, Facebook will own one's dreams. Mark my words.

Ironically, Instagram is owned by Facebook. Go figure.

In a few decades, Facebook will own one's dreams. Mark my words.
Yup. It is no coincidence that Facebook bought WhatsApp and Instagram. Even if Facebook declines, they will continue making money on the apps that youth switch to.

Yup. It is no coincidence that Facebook bought WhatsApp and Instagram. Even if Facebook declines, they will continue making money on the apps that youth switch to.
I've switched from WhatsApp to WeChat. I travel a lot in Asia, and WhatsApp is blocked in China. Sure, Jack Mao and the PRC Central Committee are likely reading my texts, but is that worse than Zukerberg and the NSA?

I've switched from WhatsApp to WeChat. I travel a lot in Asia, and WhatsApp is blocked in China. Sure, Jack Mao and the PRC Central Committee are likely reading my texts, but is that worse than Zukerberg and the NSA?
WhatsApp is the predominant messenger in Europe and Latin America (the two regions that are useful to me).

If security is the concern, you can also switch to using Telegram. The problem being of course that it does not have the userbase of WhatsApp/Facebook/WeChat.

Back