RLN may come with a yard, we don't know yet. But unless you locate a yard in the Portlands, a RLS yard would be prohibitively expensive given land costs.
I figured there would be a connection (a long one, necessarily, with the Donlands alignment alternative abandoned) to Greenwood independently. One of the key advantages of having a relief line should be the ability to keep going despite Line 2 drama.

I figured there would be a connection (a long one, necessarily, with the Donlands alignment alternative abandoned) to Greenwood independently. One of the key advantages of having a relief line should be the ability to keep going despite Line 2 drama.

That's why the wye should be south... Line 2 trains could divert directly downtown via DRL if there's anything wrong at Bloor-Yonge/Castle Frank/Sherbourne/Broadview/Pape stations.

Station locations were finalized a very long time ago. I want to say it's been nearly two years since they were finalized.

Including the boxes and the wye? I know they decided on the general alignment and stations (e.g. "Sherbourne" "Unilever" "Carlaw" but they changed alignments as recently as last year.

Last edited:
I'm under the impression the station boxes are not finalized - they may move a bit this or that way. I will try to get confirmation monday.

Don’t forget to ask if Pape will be single or triple platform

Spanish Solution!

6d8661eb62c4326642b3ac32c05a7e29.gif

Attachments

• 6d8661eb62c4326642b3ac32c05a7e29.gif
    6d8661eb62c4326642b3ac32c05a7e29.gif
    890.4 KB · Views: 608
That's why the wye should be south... Line 2 trains could divert directly downtown via DRL if there's anything wrong at Bloor-Yonge/Castle Frank/Sherbourne/Broadview/Pape stations.

Except that even a wye to the south wouldn't be enough to allow service trains to divert to the DRL - you would need a huge loop track either to the north/east or to the south-west to allow that to happen. And even then, you're going to have north/eastbound trains bypass Pape Station.

Considering the cost of what you're suggesting, and for the infinitesimally small number of times that it will be required, it's better to keep things separate - like the way that they are designing them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Except that even a wye to the south wouldn't be enough to allow service trains to divert to the DRL - you would need a huge loop track either to the north/east or to the south-west to allow that to happen. And even then, you're going to have north/eastbound trains bypass Pape Station.

Considering the cost of what you're suggesting, and for the infinitesimally small number of times that it will be required, it's better to keep things separate - like the way that they are designing them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

But for the daily in/out, or taking an RL train out of service, wouldn't the proposed setup cause Line 2 service disruptions? If you look at the excavation map there appears to be no grade-separation with Line 2 eastbound, and Greenwood is east of Pape. In other words non-service RL trains would be crossing Line 2 at-grade.

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 11.11.20 PM.png

And this thing is supposed to be fully built by 2031? They're so full of shit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 11.11.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 11.11.20 PM.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 525
But for the daily in/out, or taking an RL train out of service, wouldn't the proposed setup cause Line 2 service disruptions? If you look at the excavation map there appears to be no grade-separation with Line 2 eastbound, and Greenwood is east of Pape. In other words non-service RL trains would be crossing Line 2 at-grade.

Into service - not really. There is very little issue with inserting an additional train into the current service stream.

Out of service? Again, not really. Trains running out of service at peak times will turn to the west, run to the centre track west of Chester, then turn back east to run to the yard at Greenwood.

By the way, at one point they were talking about storing the unneeded trains at mid-day in the tail tracks past the terminals. I suspect that they are still planning on that. That would minimize or eliminate all deadhead moves on the B-D during the busiest part of its service.

I can't see them building a crossover east of Pape Station to allow trains to crossover there, but even if they did they wouldn't use it until the headways were wider after the rush - especially considering the fiasco that's been going on with the north end of the University Line over the past 4+ months.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

especially considering the fiasco that's been going on with the north end of the University Line over the past 4+ months.

Please explain. I've taken that line up to Finch West a few times recently and the constant delays between Yorkdale and Sheppard West have baffled me. Is this what you are talking about?

Into service - not really. There is very little issue with inserting an additional train into the current service stream.

Out of service? Again, not really. Trains running out of service at peak times will turn to the west, run to the centre track west of Chester, then turn back east to run to the yard at Greenwood.

By the way, at one point they were talking about storing the unneeded trains at mid-day in the tail tracks past the terminals. I suspect that they are still planning on that. That would minimize or eliminate all deadhead moves on the B-D during the busiest part of its service.

I can't see them building a crossover east of Pape Station to allow trains to crossover there, but even if they did they wouldn't use it until the headways were wider after the rush - especially considering the fiasco that's been going on with the north end of the University Line over the past 4+ months.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Also, remember that the initial phase of the DRL will only need six or eight trains for service (I can’t remember exactly how many). With as many as four trains being stored in the tail tracks, I anticipate that bringing trains in and out of service won’t be too much of a burden on Line 2.

Last edited:
Also, remember that the initial phase of the DRL will only need six or eight trains for service (I can’t remember exactly how many). With two trains potentially being stored in the tail tracks, I anticipate that bringing trains in and out of service won’t be too much of a burden on Line 2.
Ah yes, the idea of a new subway line is so foreign to us.

View attachment 141561

And this thing is supposed to be fully built by 2031? They're so full of shit.

Most of the time allocated for any project is blathering about it. The actual construction portion is only a tiny percentage. However, given how these projects invariably end up late, add 12 months to whatever date they claim it will be built by.

People always wonder how things in Asia get built so fast, but I think it's mostly because they don't spend decades debating each and every detail, rather then differences in the actual construction speed.

Back