News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I really hope the polls are wrong, like they were for the last federal election.
Agreed, I hope they're as wrong as when polls were saying the Wildrose party in Alberta led by Danielle Smith at the time would beat the provincial Conservative. Not only did they lose, they got trounced. Or let's hope they are as wrong as the time they said Naheed Nenshi would struggle badly to get re-elected as Mayor of Calgary. We all know what happened there.

I could definitely stomach a PC government led by anyone not named Doug Ford. But to have Ford as premier is a shameful embarrassment.

While the trend is showing a PC momentum in the final day, what still gives me some hope are the number of local races that remain close.

The inefficiency of the NDP vote distribution helps the PCs but in the final days, that might be true for the PCs too where Conservatives in ridings the PCs were going to win anyway have come home inflating their popular vote but not necessarily increasing their seat count.

That said, at minimum, what needs to happen is that enough NDP voters lower the PCs seat count to a minority. They don’t even have to win the most seats.

In the event that happens, we’ll still need to count on the few elected Liberal MPPs bringing down Doug in a no confidence vote and then supporting the NDP. I’m cynical given the Liberals would benefit the most from a disastrous Doug Ford term and would probably allow him to govern rather than let Horwath do so. If the Liberals were to prop up Doug Ford, I’d officially become an NDP member and would not vote Liberal again. Wynne has disappointed me in attacking the NDP when her hope of forming government was lost.

I will be holding Wynne accountable if Doug Ford is elected Premier and all the subsequent consequences.

I received plenty of flyers for Mike Colle and Robin Martin, but none for Robyn Vilde.

The NDP will have a tough time in my riding, though I will still vote for them.

Bump:

According to this website, Eglinton-Lawrence is projected to be a true battleground riding (given Mike Colle's determination).

There's lots of wishful thinking here. It's going to be a shit show right up to Ford's 2022 re Election campaign.
Agreed. This is Wynne’s legacy, her incompetence, poor stewardship, and public provocations have brought a Ford to Queen’s Park.

Last edited:
Agreed. This is Wynne’s legacy, her incompetence, poor stewardship, and public provocations have brought a Ford to Queen’s Park.
"incompetence" is the question.

She was very good at what she set out to do, which was poor stewardship, public provocations, and political corruption.

I thought of the scenario where the PC's win a majority, but Ford loses his seat.

Would someone step aside for Ford to run in an immediate by-election. It couldn't be someone from Toronto, or maybe even the immediate GTA, since there would be the risk of losing that by-election as well. The scenario along your lines would be to try and replace the leader at that time. My reading of the PC constitution says that a leadership review can only be triggered if they don't form government. Thus, this could not be done, unless they somehow first revise the constitution. I could see some interesting politics occur in this scenario.
But if Doughie is found to have broken parliamentary rules things could get sticky.

And not how the PCs chose to have their coup over the past 6 months? Whatever Wynne did, it brought the opposition to the fore - not their choice of leadership.

But if Doughie is found to have broken parliamentary rules things could get sticky.

Good luck counting on rules and conventions to bound individuals who are intent on breaking them - I think we have seen enough examples of how expectations of such have failed miserably - and city council is small potatoes compared to Queen's Park when it comes to the reach of the power.

AoD

Last edited:
Good luck counting on rules and conventions to bound individuals who are intent on breaking them - I think we have seen enough examples of how expectations of such have failed miserably - and city council is small potatoes compared to Queen's Park when it comes to the reach of the power.

AoD

If Premier Doug lost his riding he could just ignore convention and not bother taking a seat. He doesn't even know what the legislature does and it keeps him away from question period. There's no law saying he needs to win one. Who's going to stop him?

AoD
Very true but then are steered toward a confidence vote.

Here's my prediction:

PCs 65 seats
NDP 51 seats
Liberals 7 seats
Greens 1 seat

Really hope there's some leakage in the PC boat tonight somewhere that deprives them of a majority!
I wouldn't bet against you on this. Looks pretty sound.

A PC majority will give the NDP a solid four years to find their feet and present themselves as a solid choice in 2022.... and it gives us four years to forget about the Liberals as the natural governing party. A PC minority will collapse by Christmas 2018, and give a new Liberal leader the chance for a Phoenix-like return.... resulting in a Layton-like short-term spark for the NDP before being pushed aside by the PC/Lib duopoly.

I do believe NDP can surge in some swing ridings due to strategic voting / undecideds making up their mind. Predicting 49 seats for NDP + Liberal combined is a little ridiculous and desperate.

Back