How is this a meaningless thing? If the PC's were ambivalent about investing in the DRL then they wouldn't sign off on the TPAP prior to the election. Providing their approval in the middle of an election means additional coverage. They are making a higher profile commitment to the DRL. It will be harder for the PC's to retract or withhold the next phase of funding.

While I'm something of a transit neophyte, this sounds like good news to me.

Last edited:
It's nothing more than procedure. Approving the TPAP is not some political move - I would be very surprised if it was put in front of Cabinet.

The politics gets involved when it comes time to direct funding to the project. Even then, I suspect we will see the money flow from provincial coffers. It is a subway after all.

How is this a meaningless thing? If the PC's were ambivalent about investing in the DRL then they wouldn't sign off on the TPAP prior to the election. Providing their approval in the middle of an election means additional coverage. They are making a higher profile commitment to the DRL. It will be harder for the PC's to retract or withhold the next phase of funding.

While I'm something of a transit neophyte, this sounds like good news to me.

Timing of reaching this stage of the process aside, the signing off is a bureaucratic process, not political thing per se. It is a required outcome - but pales in significance to funding announcement or lord forbid, groundbreaking ceremonies.

AoD

Last edited:

On October 17, 2018, the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks signed a Notice to Proceed for the Relief Line South in accordance with the Environmental Project Report. We are pleased to advise that the City of Toronto and Metrolinx have now issued the Statement of Completion of the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP). The completion of the TPAP allows the project to proceed to construction.

Further design work is currently underway. At its meeting on May 24, 2017, City Council authorized advancing preliminary design with a report back in late 2019. This work will be advancing over the next 18-24 months and will include further opportunities for public consultation.

For further information, please visit our website: reliefline.ca/south/

Construction won't happen, if it is happening, until 2025, and scheduled to open 2031. And we need the relief now. So it is insane and don't hold your breath.

On October 17, 2018, the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks signed a Notice to Proceed for the Relief Line South in accordance with the Environmental Project Report. We are pleased to advise that the City of Toronto and Metrolinx have now issued the Statement of Completion of the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP). The completion of the TPAP allows the project to proceed to construction.

Further design work is currently underway. At its meeting on May 24, 2017, City Council authorized advancing preliminary design with a report back in late 2019. This work will be advancing over the next 18-24 months and will include further opportunities for public consultation.

For further information, please visit our website: reliefline.ca/south/

Had a small chuckle with the
upload_2018-10-19_17-46-4.png

Also I was scratching my head about
upload_2018-10-19_17-46-48.png

Who would submit an objection? (Other than someone from York Region.)

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-19_17-46-4.png
    upload_2018-10-19_17-46-4.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 794
  • upload_2018-10-19_17-46-48.png
    upload_2018-10-19_17-46-48.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 808
... probably somebody upset about the elimination of heritage properties along Queen east for the project. And some of the reports where to be due in February-March originally, there the late 2019 mark makes it appear this has been pushed back. More delays.

Construction won't happen, if it is happening, until 2025, and scheduled to open 2031. And we need the relief now. So it is insane and don't hold your breath.

Construction will likely occur much sooner.

But the earliest possible is around Q4 2020 and that is highly ambitious bordering on unrealistic.

Late 2021, is, however quite feasible if government wishes to make it happen.

Operation, at best, is probably late 2027, but more likely early 2029

Had a small chuckle with the
View attachment 161015

Also I was scratching my head about
View attachment 161016
Who would submit an objection? (Other than someone from York Region.)
I submitted the objection. The objection was the line was toooooo short, offer no relief unless it was built to Steeles Ave. It needed to be built as a 3/4 track line to support 10 double deck car. Otherwise 119 years late in coming.

The earliest it can open 2028

I submitted the objection. The objection was the line was toooooo short, offer no relief unless it was built to Steeles Ave. It needed to be built as a 3/4 track line to support 10 double deck car. Otherwise 119 years late in coming.

The earliest it can open 2028
We were all hoping the cost could be kept down to <$400M/km - then they could built it longer. Instead, the cost is $900M/km.
The design was chosen to deliberately delay the project, because it is not that feasible at only 7 km length.
They need to put some Value Engineering on this to reduce the costs.

Back