damn. Really makes me think that the city issued a "it must be under 300m" ultimatum in negotiations.

If I were a developer I would push for the extra 1 meter and the super-tall designation. It may never be used in marketing material but it could be and that is the point. It does beg the question why developers are ok with building just below the 300M height.

It seems that there is little to no marketing benefit in planning and building that extra 1 metre. Otherwise, developers would push harder for it. 300 metres is an arbitrary number that doesn't matter to anyone beyond skyscraper fans. It seems ridiculous to me that people care so much about that 1 metre when the difference wouldn't even be perceptible to the eye.

damn. Really makes me think that the city issued a "it must be under 300m" ultimatum in negotiations.
Typically for such tall buildings, it's shadowing that determines where something gets cut, height-wise. I assume that it's Allen Gardens that the City was concerned about here.

Typically for such tall buildings, it's shadowing that determines where something gets cut, height-wise. I assume that it's Allen Gardens that the City was concerned about here.

Correct

At 299m, this building will be the 2nd tallest in Toronto after THE ONE (Mirvish, and One Yonge also have a tower that exceeds this however neither are under construction nor are they far along in the process so lets wait to see the future of them).

Okay yikes don't get so pressed, it's not that deep.
It is pretty obvious to me that there was collusion here. How ironic that both this and Mizrahi's the ONE were overlapping in approvals and Mizrahi was advertising his to be the tallest residential in Canada once built. Considering his shady history do you really not think it's obvious he paid some council members to deny the height on this one? Giving Mizrahi's the ONE to be the only supertall residential status and the glory of that for both marketing and his ego?

So I was reading the section 37 agreement.

Has it been previously discussed here that the City did not take cash-in-lieu for the parkland dedication. They're getting land.

I'm not sure about this at all.

Apparently they are getting 357 Yonge (err, report says 357A and 3571/2)

That appears to be the current Ali Baba's.

That's a rather small, narrow strip to be useful as a park.

I thought I saw that they were getting a park up near Casa III?

From the Nov 20, 2018 section 37 agreement:

8. PARKLAND CONTRIBUTION 8.1 The Owner agrees to transfer and convey to the City the lands municipally known as 357A Yonge Street and 357 ½ Yonge Street (“Parkland”), more particularly to transfer and convey a minimum of 338.5 square metre of said lands, in order to satisfy its park land dedication requirements under section 42 of the Planning Act with respect to the Zoning By-law Amendments to facilitate the Development in accordance with the provisions of this Section 8. If the off-site dedication of 357A Yonge Street and 357 ½ Yonge Street is deemed acceptable by the General Manager, Parks Forestry and Recreation (“PFR”), it is acknowledged that it would satisfy the parkland dedication requirements for the Development.

It is pretty obvious to me that there was collusion here. How ironic that both this and Mizrahi's the ONE were overlapping in approvals and Mizrahi was advertising his to be the tallest residential in Canada once built. Considering his shady history do you really not think it's obvious he paid some council members to deny the height on this one?

Is this a serious post???

Back