I wonder what kind of design changes are proposed to accommodate the new height - the reduction of overall floor area despite the increased height necessitates a smaller floor plate.

AoD

i have a question. how long before this is approved, will it take 2-3 years to approve this again? or few months?

My guess definitely is an increase in floor height, resulting in the fewer units and floor area with a greater height. I'm less convinced that the floor plates will be smaller.

I did a rough calculation based on the previous architectural drawings that the floor to floor heights of the residential portion wereapproximately 3.1 m. Given the height of the floor & mechanical for each level, this seems low for a luxury tower, where I suspect owners would want floor to ceiling heights around 3m.

My guess definitely is an increase in floor height, resulting in the fewer units and floor area with a greater height. I'm less convinced that the floor plates will be smaller.

I've already been spectacularly wrong on this thread (and others), but that's not how density calculations work. An increase in the floor to ceiling height doesn't mean a reduction in units or a reduction in the floor area. Floor to ceiling height isn't part of the density calculation. A decrease in the overall gross floor area, while still keeping both towers, means the floor plates have to have been reduced.

I've already been spectacularly wrong on this thread (and others), but that's not how density calculations work. An increase in the floor to ceiling height doesn't mean a reduction in units or a reduction in the floor area. Floor to ceiling height isn't part of the density calculation. A decrease in the overall gross floor area, while still keeping both towers, means the floor plates have to have been reduced.

To be clear, what I meant by the increased floor to ceiling and floor to floor height was that the number of storeys would be reduced as well. In that case, the GFA would have to be reduced mathematically. We are talking about gross floor AREA, not cubic feet/metres or building envelope. It is mathematically possible to increase building envelope while decreasing GFA if you are also reducing the floor count.

Are they going with taller floor-floor heights, maybe for the luxury market?

This is my thought as well. If there is any other location besides Yorkville for ultra lux high rises, this would be the place to do it, (and in my opinion would be best suited if the probable recession were to affect the RE market in a big way.)

They shouldn’t have too much trouble getting this approved, they are reducing the overall density. Normally this would be a problem with density was also increasing. However, I doubt that they’ll end up with 325 m, the city is going to want to Cut them back somehow.

Call me crazy, but I feel like that it might go through as 325m. The sacrifices that they made for the floor plate size and residential density, as well as (from what I can imagine) a mountain of input from the city on the project by this point, it's entirely possible it could go through with little to no height reductions.

I would also think that Great Gulf would not have bought a project of this scale if they weren't confident that they could pull it off.

Back