News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If only they could put in a NEW and IMPROVED, now with IMAX, Westwood Theatre at Six Points.

f1257_s1057_it84801-westwood.jpg

From link.

Unfortunately, not going to happen.

If only they could put in a NEW and IMPROVED, now with IMAX, Westwood Theatre at Six Points.
Now that's something I can strongly agree with. Unfortunately, the vision for Etobicoke City Centre is pretty lackluster and uninspiring, thanks to our unimaginative city councilor.

I live in the area and while this will be a welcome change for many it will be a traffic nightmare as well as a huge pollution increase do to the timing of the lights and congestion.

I drove through it today and it was a mess, lanes partially blocked off and ending abruptly so I can see there being a good amount of gridlock Monday and possible accidents.

While this will help the area progress into the present I will miss the calm that use to be here.

The current arrangement doesn't exactly match the image that was floated around.

I am surprised Bloor WB to Dundas is only a single left turn lane. Also for some reason at this same intersection, Dundas NB and Dunbloor SB were on separate signal phases, adding even more delay to Bloor WB traffic (which was backed up east of Islington).

Kipling was also only 1 NB lane (instead of two) leading to large backups and unsafe merges.

Hopefully they can clean things up this week.

I imagine that there is gonna be a lot of confusion as well during the rest of week

The current arrangement doesn't exactly match the image that was floated around.

I am surprised Bloor WB to Dundas is only a single left turn lane. Also for some reason at this same intersection, Dundas NB and Dunbloor SB were on separate signal phases, adding even more delay to Bloor WB traffic (which was backed up east of Islington).

Kipling was also only 1 NB lane (instead of two) leading to large backups and unsafe merges.

View attachment 174899

Then I wonder if they can get some paid traffic cops to direct people down there.

View attachment 174899

The Bloor WB to Dundas WB should be TWO left turn lanes.

933c-SixPoints-ConstructionUpdate8-Areamap.jpg

Was Bloor Westbound to Dundas Westbound backed up this morning?

Please correct me but is there enough room to accomodate 2 left hand turning lanes in this area of the six points road network? It seems tight to me.

Thanks

Please correct me but is there enough room to accomodate 2 left hand turning lanes in this area of the six points road network? It seems tight to me.

Thanks

Until the Bloor Street straight connection road is completed, yes.

Thanks
Without seeing the road in person and only looking at the diagram, it seems that the right curb lane has be painted/blocked off. Without a straight lane, two left and one right turn lanes seems possible, but it doesn’t seem like it would fit two left turn, one straight, and one shared straight and right turn lanes.

I'd like to call into attention, the great front page story that was put up just a few moments ago today.

I'm thrilled that the Design Review Panel called out what the Six Point Plan/Etobicoke City Centre Plan really is: "a collection of islands...buildings in isolation with no connection between, and each with its own internal street network", with "no continuous identity of city centre here", and no coordination between what's going on here and the rest of the city centre/surrounding area.

They really torched the city with the lack of vision, and lack of an adequate thought process throughout the entire process which is the exact same thing i've been saying for years. I couldn't agree more with the grand majority (99%) of what the DRP said because it's fully accurate and the whole planning excercise around this area has been a thorough embarrassment. The city really needs to go back to the drawing board and re-think the entire concept, and they should forcefully drag Mark Grimes, and Pinnacle International (the developer responsible for the proposed garbage Tower in a Park village on Dundas) with them.

Normally I would call for a Secondary Plan for the entire area, but with what we've seen come out of the Golden Mile Secondary Plan, I wouldnt have any faith in having one for this critical node of the city. The Planning Department (as short staffed as they are) really have to get their act together, enough with the generic copy/pasting of ideas that they seemingly think would work in any part of the city. I dont know if they use this tactic as a cop out to accelerate the amount of work they can process, but it really has to come to an end.

Backup both ways on the new road at both Bloor and Kipling. Lots of drivers unsure what lane they should be in when they get to various intersections. miWay buses are causing some of this confusion by line jumping, along with lack of turning signs and not merging the lanes sooner than later. Making the left turn off Bloor to Dundas is a lot slower, since drivers are unsure what to do.

Work taking place on the westbound Bloor overpass with asphalt being remove that will be follow by the roads before demolition can take place.

In light of the really good front page article here, where can one find the link to the Design Review Panel comments?

In particular, I want to see high-res images of public realm plan and the development plan of Six Points posted in the article above, including the conceptual massing of the proposed Housing Now development on Blocks 1-6.

Back