News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I am generally supportive of ending the LCBO and Beer Store monopoly, even though I don't drink at all. The focus on it is interesting though.

Then there's the new logo and licence plate.
https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/G.../2019-04/bd901cb0-5c9d-11e9-beee-c7b29b1b40f2

So in the end, they went back to something like the old trillium logo. And while everyone's fretting about it being "Tory blue", I was *almost* prepared to accept its relative simplicity (after all, Ontario plates alternated each year btw/blue and white before standard plates and annual stickers were adopted in '73)--until I noticed the lighter blue "floating trillium" in the background, which smells of that unfortunate "Sun News" aesthetic that plagued the Harper campaign in '15 and whatever else. Sheesh, they couldn't leave well enough alone...

Interesting budget. The highest in Provincial history, after telling us for ages that the Liberals had destroyed the economy.

Alcohol seems to be a major focus, I'm not sure why. I'd prefer to see last call made later, instead of allowing drinking in the morning.

Alcohol is interesting, given Doug's family history. But hey, give them booze and cut back on their education, and life will be good, right?

Cutting the Indigenous Affairs budget in half though? Health care implications are massive.

Lot of focus on booze. Maybe because we're All drinking more these days?

I wonder if data would show an increase since he was elected?

Cutting the Indigenous Affairs budget in half though? Health care implications are massive.

They will likely argue that Indigenous issues are a federal responsibility which is consistent with his ongoing battles with Ottawa. I haven't seen all the by-Ministry numbers but I'm not surprised. The justice sector has apparently been cut and I will guess that MNR (or whatever they are calling it now) has been cut - again.

I wonder if data would show an increase since he was elected?

They will likely argue that Indigenous issues are a federal responsibility which is consistent with his ongoing battles with Ottawa. I haven't seen all the by-Ministry numbers but I'm not surprised. The justice sector has apparently been cut and I will guess that MNR (or whatever they are calling it now) has been cut - again.
Ministry of Labour too

Then there's the new logo and licence plate.
https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GLOB/crop/809x404+0+22/resize/630x315!/format/jpg/quality/85/https://media-mbst-pub-ue1.s3.amazonaws.com/creatr-uploaded-images/2019-04/bd901cb0-5c9d-11e9-beee-c7b29b1b40f2

So in the end, they went back to something like the old trillium logo. And while everyone's fretting about it being "Tory blue", I was *almost* prepared to accept its relative simplicity (after all, Ontario plates alternated each year btw/blue and white before standard plates and annual stickers were adopted in '73)--until I noticed the lighter blue "floating trillium" in the background, which smells of that unfortunate "Sun News" aesthetic that plagued the Harper campaign in '15 and whatever else. Sheesh, they couldn't leave well enough alone...

Still preferable over the hot tub. As rebranding goes, it is fairly innocuous.

AoD

As a designer, the "abstract logo portion in the background" is quite sadly early 2000s. It's a fair bet that it's so enlarged that at least half of people won't "see" it. And while I'm sure the Ford Government thought that using light text on dark background is "ultra-cool", it's defying the very point of a license plate. Good design respects function, and plates are meant to be readable in as many conditions as possible — the reason the vast majority of plates around the world are dark letters on a light background. It's easier to read in all conditions, and doesn't cause halation issues for people with astigmatisms (~50% of the population) near as much. A plate should be readable Day/night/in a dark parking garage/under intense light. And that's before all the colostomynozzles put their tinted covers over them.

$5 says when (if) these plates are in the majority, the identification of cars by license plate in police reports drops dramatically.

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 12.16.06 PM.jpg

Still preferable over the hot tub. As rebranding goes, it is fairly innocuous.

AoD
Adding the trillium onto the plate is not a bad idea.
Switching from blue on white to white on blue is questionable.
Having a two tone blue background is very questionable.
Ontario text may be a bit small - it can be considered a form of advertisement when travelling south of the border.
I would also prefer the crown in the middle (above the trillium). After all, our highway system are the King's Highways.

Back