Skyfire

Member Bio
Reaction score
KitCwVH.jpg

Aspen's Palliser One reclad was finally presented and is proceeding over the next 18 months. The existing crumbling and discolored 1968 material, insulation, air gap, etc. will all be removed as they basically demolish the outside of the building and then repanel all the way up.
39307-130545.jpg

Last edited:
This is great, a few of those buildings around the Calgary tower need to be updated. With time, the excessive beige around the area was starting to look very outdated, this should help.

KitCwVH.jpg

Aspen's Palliser One reclad was finally presented and is proceeding over the next 18 months. The existing crumbling and discolored 1968 material, insulation, air gap, etc. will all be removed as they basically demolish the outside of the building and then repanel all the way up.

This reclad is so bad it borders on unacceptable. This is the kind of thing an urban design panel should be able to send back to the drawing board.It is amazing that they could make this building look shittier than it's current condition. It would look better if they just fixed/replaced the exterior to be the same and repaint the building white and focus on making the podium and retail component of a high quality

Last edited:
*barfs all over and dies* ? ☠

Shame - was probably the nicest brutalist in downtown.
Lol I was going to post exactly on these lines:
I generally abhor brutalist design, outside of some really spectacular examples like the SFU campus.
However, if you were to pick any example of brutalist architecture in Calgary to leave as is this is what I would have chosen. Does anyone know what the new cladding is supposed to look like? This could turn into a monstrosity if the cheap out.

Technically, not a brutalist building, as the concrete pieces are panels attached onto the building, but I agree it was better left as it was (unless there were issues with the panels)
The reclad looks like crap IMO. There's a render a couple of pages back.
Shame - was probably the nicest brutalist in downtown.
Lol I was going to post exactly on these lines:
I generally abhor brutalist design, outside of some really spectacular examples like the SFU campus.
However, if you were to pick any example of brutalist architecture in Calgary to leave as is this is what I would have chosen. Does anyone know what the new cladding is supposed to look like? This could turn into a monstrosity if the cheap out.

Back