Last edited:
Cables cars from Exhibtion Stn to Ontario Place? Really? On whose dime?

Not the worst idea, but it is definitely more Epcot than anything (which is for what OP was intended to be). It certainly ain't subway to OP though.

AoD

I cant believe a station isn't being proposed at Distillery.

Not only a destination in its own right, but you could also build a connection to Cherry Streetcar and the Richmond Hill GO line.

Not sure I'd call that a "cross platform transfer" unless GO starts letting us cross their tracks.
I don't get it.
Doesn't the diagram show a WB Ontario Line train beside a WB GO train, with a platform between. on the right, it shows an EB Ontario Line train beside an EB GO train, with a platform between. The idea being that you cross the platform to switch from one mode to the other.

I cant believe a station isn't being proposed at Distillery.

Not only a destination in its own right, but you could also build a connection to Cherry Streetcar and the Richmond Hill GO line.

You might be able to get close via the Corktown station at the south entrance, depending on how it is sited. That level of detail is too fine-grained for the IBC,

AoD

100m vs 136m platforms - would have been better to maintain the longer platforms since the system would have maxed out at ~34K at 40 trains/h (vs. the underballed ~40K) at 36 trains for TR) per report.

AoD

Longer platforms could mean two or three entrances. Hopefully, close to busier streets at both ends.

Ok.....I'm almost through the business case...........some interesting details here that beg many further questions........updates as I finish:

The Ontario Line crosses over the Don River and continues along the GO Rail corridor, along a widened embankment or elevated structure.

The line crosses the Don Valley on a new bridge, and then continues on elevated guideway along Overlea Boulevard,to a station at Thorncliffe Park Drive. The line continues along Overlea Boulevard, turning north at Don Mills Road with an additional station at Flemingdon Park. An alternative route would follow the CP Rail corridor and then run along the south side of Eglinton Avenue and would serve the Flemingdon Park neighbourhood through the station at Ontario Science Centre/Eglinton Avenue.

A train Maintenance and Storage Facility is assumed to be located alongside the CP Rail corridor, in the area of Wicksteed Avenue and Beth Nealson Drive. If the line is routed via Flemingdon Park, a connecting track would be required to the line at Overlea Boulevard.

The following technological assumptions were made to develop a cost-efficient concept: Generic standard gauge technology, which enables competitive procurement and protects for possible future extensions on to GO rail tracks

By terminating at the Ontario Place/Exhibition Station the Ontario Line is protected for future potential western extensions.

Last edited:
Possibly. I do believe that something standard like that would be perfect. LIM should be a non-starter at this point considering the large outdoor stretches of the line. Something either 3rd Rail or Catenary would be ideal.

Probably 3rd rail. Overhead increases tunnel size and cost.

I don't get it.
Doesn't the diagram show a WB Ontario Line train beside a WB GO train, with a platform between. on the right, it shows an EB Ontario Line train beside an EB GO train, with a platform between. The idea being that you cross the platform to switch from one mode to the other.

True. I suppose you could make some types of transfers without crossing any track.

It would be kind of hard to mess up station location in downtown. In any case - this is looks like a population - not people + jobs density map.

AoD

100m vs 136m platforms - would have been better to maintain the longer platforms since the system would have maxed out at ~34K at 40 trains/h (vs. the underballed ~40K at 36 trains for TR) per report.

AoD

Agreed on both counts.

The DRL alignment still makes a lot more sense.

Overall the smaller vehicles and lower capacity are significant issue. This is the most important transit project in many decades - we can't afford to cut corners.

Based on their own numbers, DRL Phase 1 seems like a much wiser investment.

Back