News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The CPC won the popular vote by putting up North Korea style numbers Alberta and Saskatchewan. That is why the Liberals losing the popular vote doesn't concern me.

Also, it looks like Kitchener-Congesta went to the Liberals. That is surprising.

The CPC won the popular vote by putting up North Korea style numbers Alberta and Saskatchewan. That is why the Liberals losing the popular vote doesn't concern me.

Also, it looks like Kitchener-Congesta went to the Liberals. That is surprising.

Still 67 percent of canadians voted against Trudeau cant deny that.

Good thing we did not end up with a shock majority with this popular vote total.. oof

There's an irony though; for all the bluster and rhetoric, Alberta is to the political left of California on an as-lived basis.

Its pro-universal healthcare; elected an NDP government, and a muslim centrist Mayor in Calgary, more people take transit in Edmonton and Calgary than most US cities.

Rhetoric notwithstanding, the province is also pro-choice and pro-gay rights; and reasonably immigrant friendly.

They would feel isolated on the political left in the U.S.

That's kind of my point in general in many discussions. Even Conservatives in Canada govern to the left of the Democratic Party in the US and yet Trudeau gets an endorsement from Obama and there are no progressive voices denouncing Trudeau for associating with that right-wing nut-job Obama
;)

Getting back to urban Toronto and Federal level politics in Canada, all the parties (except the Liberals I guess who dominate) need to start getting their GTA act together. The next electoral district review will be based on population numbers from the 2021 census. If my math isn't wrong the GTA could be in line for at least 10 new electoral ridings.

One of the entertaining substories is the Quebec MP who sneakily switched from NDP to Green just before the election because he was troubled by SIngh's turban ended up losing his seat anyway, getting only 11% of the vote.... Way to overestimate your popularity.
And the NDP in that riding got below him with 8.4% so maybe he correctly diagnosed his electoral situation.

Doug Ford basically saved Canada. Ontario's pain is Canada's gain.

I also think that if Trudeau would tone down the over the top emotion and dramatic personality, he would not be as hated by some as he is. I find his manner of speaking to be grating, he's too touchy with people and gets into their space, says uh and um way too much. I voted Liberal just to keep the Cons out but I am not a fan of his.

I really think that Doug Ford lost the election for Scheer. This is good for us in Toronto, because as far as regionalism goes, the map doesn't lie. GTHA is Liberal base, even notwithstanding Douglas Ford at the Provincial level. Sounds like we will be getting transit and infrastructure funding from the Federal level.

Looking at the nation-wide results though, it is clear that the vote shift occurred primarily in one direction, from the Liberals towards the Conservatives (or the Bloc in Quebec). My interpretation of this is that that the mushy middle of Liberal voters weren't pleased with Trudeau's progressive rhetoric, and voted for Conservatives/Bloc. The few that couldn't stomach voting Conservative, ended up supporting the Greens (like I did this election). That is definitely something to think about if you are Trudeau / in the Liberal camp.

That is a majority territory coalition of voters just waiting for the Conservatives to tap into in the future. But like others said, the Conservatives are never getting there unless they end their anti-intellectualism, regressive positions regarding the environment, their de facto status as the Party of Alberta, and probably even their stances on Quebec.

Ontario voters rejected Liberals recently, and the CAQ in Quebec remain very popular. Trying to win the election by just playing to the interests of Alberta and Saskatchewan ended with this result, even despite the unpopularity and non-stop scandals of the past year and a half of Trudeau. There is a lesson in that.

Getting back to urban Toronto and Federal level politics in Canada, all the parties (except the Liberals I guess who dominate) need to start getting their GTA act together. The next electoral district review will be based on population numbers from the 2021 census. If my math isn't wrong the GTA could be in line for at least 10 new electoral ridings.

Of note here, the City of Toronto outpaced suburbia in population growth last year, and seems on pace to continue that.

Toronto's growth last year was 77,000 about enough to justify .77 new seats, that pace was lower earlier in the decade, but if they average something a bit less by decade's end, we're looking at 5'ish new seats in the City of
Toronto alone.

At least three of those would be in greater downtown area.

First off, not all Canadians voted. And only those in his riding voted for or against him. So no, 67% of Canadians did not vote against him. And we have no way of knowing how many voted FOR another party rather than against the Liberals. There is a difference. To be accurate and avoid hyperbole, you can say that 67% of those who voted did not vote for the Liberals.

I think we'll be equally surprised by low turnout in Nov 2020 in the US, since the world is expecting/hoping a great rise of the masses that may not occur.

Super high turnout in 2018 for a midterm says otherwise. I expect 2020 turnout to be quite high.

There's an irony though; for all the bluster and rhetoric, Alberta is to the political left of California on an as-lived basis.

Its pro-universal healthcare; elected an NDP government, and a muslim centrist Mayor in Calgary, more people take transit in Edmonton and Calgary than most US cities.

Rhetoric notwithstanding, the province is also pro-choice and pro-gay rights; and reasonably immigrant friendly.

They would feel isolated on the political left in the U.S.

Having lived in both places, I don't buy this at all. It's Canadian myth making. "Our conservatives aren't really as crazy as the GOP." To a point, sure. But that's largely because they are constrained by broader Canadian political culture. Not to mention Canadian laws which impose things on them like health care, same-sex marriage, legal cannabis, etc. How much of that would Alberta have agreed to, if it was only Albertans deciding on these issues? California has the reverse problem. They are constrained by a US legal, social and political framework from going further left. If they broke off from the US, they'd have universal healthcare overnight.

Having doubts about the liberal version of the carbon tax does not make me right wing.

Sure. But doing the wink-wink-nudge-nudge on climate change is a conservative hallmark these days. So if you say you don't agree with the Liberal carbon tax (of which every province had the option to override and put in their own plan), you can propose an alternative scheme. The Conservatives chose not to do that. And aside from the PPC, they were the only national party not wanting to put a price on carbon. So if you don't want a price on carbon at all, that's the camp you're in.

That's funny. I voted for a certain individual to be my MP. No where on my ballot, was the question, "Do you want Justin Trudeau to continue as the Prime Minister of Canada?"

Was your ballot different?

First off, not all Canadians voted. And only those in his riding voted for or against him. So no, 67% of Canadians did not vote against him. And we have no way of knowing how many voted FOR another party rather than against the Liberals. There is a difference. To be accurate and avoid hyperbole, you can say that 67% of those who voted did not vote for the Liberals.

And where did you say that when users on here said 60% of people voted against ford and harper..

I am just using left wing talking points back in return.

67 percent of canadians voted against the Trudeau led liberals. That is a fact.

If people can say the same against harper I can against Trudeau or else point it out equally.

And where did you say that when users on here said 60% of people voted against ford and harper..
I am just using left wing talking points back in return.
67 percent of canadians voted against the Trudeau led liberals. That is a fact.

That's like saying 66% of Canadians voted against Scheer lead CPC, 84% against Singh lead NDPs - those are also facts. Not sure how much meaning you can draw from it, if you want to play the legitimacy card.

AoD

Having lived in both places, I don't buy this at all. It's Canadian myth making. "Our conservatives aren't really as crazy as the GOP." To a point, sure. But that's largely because they are constrained by broader Canadian political culture. Not to mention Canadian laws which impose things on them like health care, same-sex marriage, legal cannabis, etc. How much of that would Alberta have agreed to, if it was only Albertans deciding on these issues? California has the reverse problem. They are constrained by a US legal, social and political framework from going further left. If they broke off from the US, they'd have universal healthcare overnight.

Perhaps, but.........

An October 2011 poll conducted by the Citizen Society Research Lab at Lethbridge College found that 72.1% of Albertans supported same-sex marriage, while 27.9% opposed it.

When one looks at a broader scope of social issues, we see this comparing Alberta to Quebec.

It shows Albertans are pro-choice 2 to 1; and more pro-doctor-assisted suicide than Quebecers.

That's like saying 66% of Canadians voted against Scheer lead CPC, 84% against Singh lead NDPs - those are also facts.

AoD
That is all true...

But when we have govts of all parties that win 30 to 40 percent of the vote but then pretend to speak for the majority...

That point that x percent voted against you is quite relevant.

It's like some of you selective apply what you preach based on which party we are talking about ?

That is all true...
But when we have govts of all parties that win 30 to 40 percent of the vote but then pretend to speak for the majority...
That point that x percent voted against you is quite relevant.

It's like some of you selective apply what you preach based on which party we are talking about ?

They don't have to pretend - they can legitimately say that they represent the nation in a parliamentary democracy under FPTP. Now we can argue whether this is an appropriate system, but under our current constitution it is perfectly legitimate.

Didn't stop you from planning to vote for a party that is steadfastly against changing FPTP, just saying.

AoD

Last edited:
They don't have to pretend - they can legitimately say that they represent the nation in a parliamentary democracy under FPTP. Now we can argue whether this is an appropriate system, but under our current constitution it is perfectly legitimate.

AoD
I am saying it is a legitimate critique to use base on the prime minister's past rhetoric about the flaws about the Fptp system.

I am saying it is a legitimate critique to use base on the prime minister's past rhetoric about the flaws about the Fptp system.

Sure, and I am certain that cost him some votes. Doesn't change the fact that a) the system didn't change and b) his party came out with the largest number of MPs.

It's like some of you selective apply what you preach based on which party we are talking about.

I can't speak for the others - but this is what I've said re: Doug Ford:

Jasmine18 said:
Issue is Ford still got his party united around him and won the election fair and square.

The election proper, yes. The selection as party leader (and a significant portion of his MPPs) - I am not so sure about that.

AoD

Last edited:

Back