Considering that most new condo builds are of shoddy quality (ie. plumbing), I'm not sure whether the Province's proposal to let developers self-regulate will worsen the situation or simply keep it at status quo.

Where do you get this assumption? Bad experience yourself? Bold statement to call out one of the 20+ Trades involved in building a condo. Additionally, if you actually worked in the industry(which I can only assume you don't based on your comment) then you would know that plumbing (Mechanical) is actually usually one of the best trades due to the risk involved if their equipment fails. 1(one) pipe breaking that's found to be negligence could cost a Mechanical Contractor everything, it's not taken very lightly. Like all Trades though, they all have a bad egg.

Where do you get this assumption? Bad experience yourself? Bold statement to call out one of the 20+ Trades involved in building a condo. Additionally, if you actually worked in the industry(which I can only assume you don't based on your comment) then you would know that plumbing (Mechanical) is actually usually one of the best trades due to the risk involved if their equipment fails. 1(one) pipe breaking that's found to be negligence could cost a Mechanical Contractor everything, it's not taken very lightly. Like all Trades though, they all have a bad egg.

I've lived in enough condos or been in enough condos to see some pretty shoddy construction. I don't know if it has to do with the trades being rushed or just a shortage of good trades in some respects. But the biggest issue may be building code is not stiff enough. I still feel biggest problems in these new condos is soundproofing and elevators. Then from a aesthetic perspective, shoddy tile work, plumbing, etc. Wouldn't be that bad if you were paying $300/ft. But $1300/ft there's no excuse for a lot of the crap I see from builders.

I've lived in enough condos or been in enough condos to see some pretty shoddy construction. I don't know if it has to do with the trades being rushed or just a shortage of good trades in some respects. But the biggest issue may be building code is not stiff enough. I still feel biggest problems in these new condos is soundproofing and elevators. Then from a aesthetic perspective, shoddy tile work, plumbing, etc. Wouldn't be that bad if you were paying $300/ft. But $1300/ft there's no excuse for a lot of the crap I see from builders.
You make a completely valid points TKE and I agree completely. It is also not necessary for one to have to drop credentials to be aware that the quality of workmanship and overall standards is average at best. Kyle's point while potentially valid with respect to the mechanical and electrical contractors, is not at all accurate. I DO work in the industry and am appalled by the lack of care and general 'laissez-faire' attitude that many subs and trades have. This is likely a bit of a blanket statement, but I have worked with enough GC's (General Contractors), to know their main concerns are the getting paid, schedule and completion of work/milestones so that they can get paid..oh and changes to the project, which will get them more money (ie: extras).

You make a completely valid points TKE and I agree completely. It is also not necessary for one to have to drop credentials to be aware that the quality of workmanship and overall standards is average at best. Kyle's point while potentially valid with respect to the mechanical and electrical contractors, is not at all accurate. I DO work in the industry and am appalled by the lack of care and general 'laissez-faire' attitude that many subs and trades have. This is likely a bit of a blanket statement, but I have worked with enough GC's (General Contractors), to know their main concerns are the getting paid, schedule and completion of work/milestones so that they can get paid..oh and changes to the project, which will get them more money (ie: extras).

Too much money to be made and not enough accoutnability to not cut corners. I've seen quite a bit on building sites to make me never want to buy precon again. Not at the crazy $1300/ft prices we see today. Imagine, there is no difference in quality between $250/ft (10 years ago) and $1300/ft now.

I do work in the industry and this is a terrible idea.

Any chance the local councilor has her foot on the brake at city hall as payback? This seems to me a ridiculously long suspension of work for a signature development that surely was reasonably within the approval arena. Where's the Mayor on this matter? He's the self-proclaimed City Builder, nes pas?

Any chance the local councilor has her foot on the brake at city hall as payback? This seems to me a ridiculously long suspension of work for a signature development that surely was reasonably within the approval arena. Where's the Mayor on this matter? He's the self-proclaimed City Builder, nes pas?
The local councillor is a he, for one.

It's a guy. No. Not necessarily. Not his jurisdiction. He is not.

What part of an incompetent developer don't you understand?

Back