I can't help but think there were a million ways to refresh this building with a modern spin on the original design intent like using new brown glass, dark mullions and updated LED crown lighting. Instead, we got this sickly green monstrosity facing the main square.

Did this go through the DRP?

I can't help but think there were a million ways to refresh this building with a modern spin on the original design intent like using new brown glass, dark mullions and updated LED crown lighting. Instead, we got this sickly green monstrosity facing the main square.

Did this go through the DRP?
No. Recladdings only have to go through the Building Department, Planning didn't get a look at all.

From the archives: The original, under construction:

1601480753410.png

from Fonds 124

I actually dont hate the treatment on the main portion of the building... it's when it gets to the roof line where the white lines just end up looking like a jumbled asymmetric mess..

would have preferred to see the concrete portions reclad in black...

Not too much damage has been done. It's reversible. Hopefully one day it can be restored to its original look.

Though the disfigurement could also be used as an alibi for future demolition and replacement. (There've been cases like that--pioneering skyscrapers like Farmers Bank in Pittsburgh and the Pabst Building in Milwaukee that suffered recladding and/or mutilation along the way)

Though the disfigurement could also be used as an alibi for future demolition and replacement. (There've been cases like that--pioneering skyscrapers like Farmers Bank in Pittsburgh and the Pabst Building in Milwaukee that suffered recladding and/or mutilation along the way)
...I'll even take ripping it down and throwing up close facsimile in its wake at this point.

Back