Was there ever a formal explanation regarding the design rational of breaking up the symmetry of the building on the North-West side? It’s almost as if another building is being superimposed on the existing structure. This stands out in the worst possible way, and looks as bizarre now, as it did when the renders were first released.
There has never been ANY rationalisation for what they were up to; which may mean they had none and THAT would explain the 'dog's breakfast' we have ended up with.

Yeah, the end result here is aesthetically turning out to be crap. Likely the most rationale-less of reclads in terms of design objectives. The bare-minimum they could have done is achieve symmetry, as I find the new east and south faces to be better than what's shown on the north and west sides, but they didn't even bother.

Yeah, the end result here is aesthetically turning out to be crap. Likely the most rationale-less of reclads in terms of design objectives. The bare-minimum they could have done is achieve symmetry, as I find the new east and south faces to be better than what's shown on the north and west sides, but they didn't even bother.
Yeah, totally agree on the south/east faces looking better than the total disaster that is happening on the northwest corner. If it was all done in the darker glass, this reclad would look.... okay-ish.

It's just a shame because there's (imo) examples of where a building has been reclad and it's still looked good and reflected at least some of the original design intention (FCP, Yonge-Sheppard Centre, to name a couple examples), and this does none of those things.

Cadillac Fairview has no idea what they're doing when it comes down to renovations of any kind. They only excel (to an extent) at developing new things.

I mean just imagine if they went down the path of renovating the bridge between HBC on Queen Street and the Eaton Centre, instead of outright replacing the bridge. Good thing the bridge was probably near the end of its useful life so they had no choice but to replace.

Earlier Today

20210108_105158.jpg

Well...they are wearing masks and not waving Confederate flags, so I think they're safe?

...either way though, can't say the same for the unjust recladding that's being done to being done to the this building at hand. /sigh

Well...they are wearing masks and not waving Confederate flags, so I think they're safe?

...either way though, can't say the same for the unjust recladding that's being done to being done to the this building at hand. /sigh

Not to derail the thread, but it was a protest to raise awareness about the police killings and corrupt government in Colombia this past week. Just for those curious.

Anyways yeah, I'm afraid of how this will resolve at the ground level as it's never been a building that's done it well.

Just when i thought the horror show re-clad couldnt get any worse, somehow Cadillac Fairview manages to make things even worse at ground level.

What an atrocious POS, well done CF you should give yourselves a round of applause (which i'm sure they continuously do on a daily basis anyways).

Not to derail the thread, but it was a protest to raise awareness about the police killings and corrupt government in Colombia this past week. Just for those curious.

Anyways yeah, I'm afraid of how this will resolve at the ground level as it's never been a building that's done it well.
Fair enough. And sorry I didn't mean to put you on the spot like that...I was being overly curious for my own good. :(

Back