4.7K     0 

Just looking at areas that they've really missed including based on that map:

1) Kennedy Road - from Sheppard East to Eglinton East
2) Warden Avenue - from Ellesemere to St Clair East
3) Kingston Road - from Queen to Eglinton
4) The West Mall - Renforth to Dundas/ Sherway
5) The Queensway

They didn't 'miss' them.

The map is only the top 20 prioritized corridors.

The full list is longer.

They've only identified those routes they intend to address over the next 10 years.

We can agree more routes need attention.

I'm sure the TTC would as well.

I wish! For Kingston, only about 3 km of the 12 km is covered by streetcars (and not on evenings and weekends).

And for Queensway, only about 3.5 km of 11 km in Toronto has streetcar service (19 km if you include the piece in Mississauga).

Personally, I'd extend the existing streetcar 3.5 km on Kingston Road to Danforth Avenue, and connect it to the long-planned Danforth Avenue/Kingston Road BRT from Eglinton/Kingston to Victoria Park station.

One on hand, Queensway seems a no-brainer. On the other hand, existing ridership is low. I wonder if there was through service to Hurontario after the Hurontario LRT opens, that might improve things.

There are several high-density developments all along The Queensway in Etobicoke, that would add to the ridership, if they do extend streetcar service along a right-of-way (with proper transit signal priority).

The CEO's Report coming to the Nov 16th Meeting of the TTC comments briefly on what they brand as RapidTO; particularly the Eglinton East bus priority.

Link here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...utive_Officer_Report_November_2020_Update.pdf

Notable, a 12% reduction in travel time for the route thus far; with infrastructure not yet complete.

Relevant passages below:

But does that 12% factor in COVID related traffic declines?

edit - nvm, I saw the part about the 6-7% reduction versus previous week.

Aren't two of those mostly if not entirely covered by streetcars?

Which two would those be? Entirely is a stretch lol I didn't know there were street car tracks on Queensway much past the Humber River? Same goes for Kingston, I didn't know the tracks went past VP.

They didn't 'miss' them.

The map is only the top 20 prioritized corridors.

The full list is longer.

They've only identified those routes they intend to address over the next 10 years.

We can agree more routes need attention.

I'm sure the TTC would as well.

Oh I hear you, but why fall short? As those routes are fixed ridership on the interconnecting lines along the mentioned corridors will increase as a result and create a bottle neck or inefficiency. I'd rather the proactive method rather than reactive.

Two of the routes I mentioned are going to be crushed once the Golden Mile density and resulting increased traffic from the Eglinton line starts actualizing. The Westmall -Sherway - Renforth Station - Airport corridor will see quite a lot of development in the next decade and is already too car reliant, not to mention the dondas corridor connecting is already onset to intensifying. The roads won't be able to handle this type of suburban density. Id much rather that density have existing transit options. The developments might then even reflect that in accommodating less parking and better pedestrian realms.

There'll be 400K+ new neighbours every year that need to be accommodated and at least a quarter of them are coming into Toronto. Unless we can create roads underground we need a lower rate of cars on the roads. Missed opportunity in my eyes.

Oh I hear you, but why fall short?

Same reason as lots of things happen, lack of funds and political will.

There'll be 400K+ new neighbours every year that need to be accommodated and at least a quarter of them are coming into Toronto. Unless we can create roads underground we need a lower rate of cars on the roads. Missed opportunity in my eyes.

400,000 is the immigration total for all of Canada, not the TTC's jurisdiction.

Its absolutely true that Toronto is growing, quickly, and we need more transit infrastructure.

We're definitely behind; and the new plans help, but are inadequate.

Its a start though.

The plan just passed Executive Ctte.

Sadly, not only was there no request for acceleration or enhancement of this plan, there was an active effort (which passed) to water it down.

This is a screenshot of the motions passed:

1605734815708.png

Motion 1 serves to cause considerable delay by adding layers of new consultations and presentations to Executive, to Councillors and the public.

A 500M notification along an entire major corridor would be among the largest notifications in City history.

Just look at the notification area for the Jane Corridor: 10km2!

1605735334110.png

We're talking about notifying at least tens of thousands of residential units in many cases.

Motion 2 is mostly DWM being DMW

Motion 3 clearly stakes out that they don't want the TTC removing travel lanes for cars...............FFS; that would be the whole damned point.............

"Do what you want, as long you half-ass it to the point it won't be of any value" is what just passed..................

Last edited:
The plan just passed Executive Ctte.

Sadly, not only was there no request for acceleration or enhancement of this plan, there was an active effort (which passed) to water it down.

This is a screenshot of the motions passed:

View attachment 283533

Motion 1 serves to cause considerable delay by adding layers of new consultations and presentations to Executive, to Councillors and the public.

A 500M notification along an entire major corridor would be among the largest notifications in City history.

Just look at the notification area for the Jane Corridor: 10km2!

View attachment 283536

We're talking about notifying at least tens of thousands of residential units in many cases.

Motion 2 is mostly DWM being DMW

Motion 3 clearly stakes out that they don't want the TTC removing travel lanes for cars...............FFS; that would be the whole damned point.............

"Do what you want, as long you half-ass it to the point it won't be of any value" is what just passed..................

Shows the heart for public transit improvement is just not there in the current city council. They are still cheering for the single-occupant automobile and the status quo. Little change from the Rob Ford days (and nights). Ford's (both Rob & Doug) minions are still at city council

Last edited:
Innisfil also has a kind of out-there Transit Oriented Development plan for their GO station.

I am deeply suspicious of those renderings. Those buildings don't seem like genuine concepts, just an artist's doodle. And the built form seems to think that the 'tower in the park' model is one to emulate.

Back