OL will terminate where Exhibition station is - it's bit of a last mile problem that it does not resolve.

AoD
It is at least something. Rapid transit stations are kinda special (compared to streetcar stop) in that they are clearly defined destinations/wayfinding points, and people are able to tolerate greater amount of walking to reach them without thinking twice about it. Especially when visitors' trip purpose is fun & leisure rather than commuter.

The way forward I believe is to make the public realm and walking experience as hospitable and pedestrian friendly as possible between Ontario Place and the Ontario Line Exhibition station. Therefore, I do think that Ontario Place needs to be master planned alongside the Exhibition grounds, and barriers like Lake Shore Blvd W addressed.

It is at least something. Rapid transit stations are kinda special (compared to streetcar stop) in that they are clearly defined destinations/wayfinding points, and people are able to tolerate greater amount of walking to reach them without thinking twice about it. Especially when visitors' trip purpose is fun & leisure rather than commuter.

The way forward I believe is to make the public realm and walking experience as hospitable and pedestrian friendly as possible between Ontario Place and the Ontario Line Exhibition station. Therefore, I do think that Ontario Place needs to be master planned alongside the Exhibition grounds, and barriers like Lake Shore Blvd W addressed.

I beg to differ - it's better than nothing, but frequent users are probably less tolerant of long walks than occasional/event-oriented riders on regional rail. Mind you the placement of BMO field didn't help - it blocked the way to a more central location of the Ex OL termini.

AoD

There is already passive parkland on both sides of Ontario Place, as well as much of the waterfront in that area. It's almost surrounded by parks, so I fail to see why we need more of the same in this area. Ontario Place needs to have a higher purpose than just more passive parkland. It needs to be a major, year round attraction that brings in crowds from all over Ontario, as well as tourists. Toronto needs more major attractions to compete with other top tier cities. I don't understand why so many people have such low expectations for not only Ontario Place but for the whole city in general, including architecture! (no more grey, glass cubes, please!)

Ontario Place should go back to its original concept, except bigger, more creative and year-round. It should function like a world's fair, showcasing our province but also including FUN! You mix tourism with entertainment, add in some unique rides, leisure activities like the the water slides and a sun tanning beach, with a focus on Ontario innovation in tech and you've got something. Have touring music/entertainment/cultural shows and even trade shows, markets, fairs and keep the fun going all year round. Multiculturalism could be used to celebrate foreign cultures and bring in huge crowds for Bollywood events or Chinese New Year. There are tons of very easy ways to bring in large crowds year round because our population comes from all over to world and many of those people are still very attached to their ethnic culture. Take full advantage of that and have massive ethic/cultural events, you just need a large indoor space to hold those big celebrations. Build a new, large complex for Winter/indoor events and festivals. It can be a convention centre like stricture with a central gathering area that includes restaurants, bars, stores, museum/art gallery/event space and a central gathering space for large events. The convention venues at the Ex could be used but I would prefer a different layout than a regular convention centre. A hotel could be used to anchor it, obviously, a few years after Covid has left town and tourism has grown.

Bring back something like the original Children's Village but make it even bigger and add some tech/video games to the mix. In fact, get video games makers to help sponsor it. Make it an area exclusively for active play (exercise for kids, yet FUN) but mixed with high tech gadgets, with video games, so kids can actually learn, while they play and get exercise. Theme much of the play around Ontario. The options are really endless, all you need is to hire some smart tech people with exceptional creativity.

The same thing goes for rides. You don't focus on the same kind of rides Canada's Wonderland has. I think the focus should be on man powered rides like zip lines and more physical things, with a focus on water. Water bumper boats are great but put in paddle boats, that get humans moving and it's even better. Focus on rides that make people more active and you kill 2 birds with one stone. It's probably more fun for competitive, younger people anyway. How about a massive climbing wall or a Thunder Bay mine that people have to navigate in the dark. Keep the focus on Ontario, just like it was in the old days. Promote Ontario tourism, business, technology, multi-culturalism, entertainment, education, culture, outdoor activities, leisure activities and fun in general. That's basically what you find in a great world's fair. The internet can never replicate the value you get at a great world's fair and yes, I have been to a number of them and loved it!

I would like to have it free to enter Ontario Place and then people pay for the attractions they want to enter. You can have some events/activities that are free to the public but sponsored by corporations or maybe even foreign governments to promote travel to their country, like China paying for a huge Chinese New Year event and the cultural show/entertainment is paid by China to promote travel to that country. Add in a Chinese food festival and the line-ups will be LONG! Ethnic festivals will not only bring in people from Toronto but from all over the world. Put on a Diwali festival, bring in Salman Khan and stand back for the huge turnout. I posted a video of Salman Khan 6 years ago on my Youtube channel and it's still always in my most viewed list every month. Indian people love Indian culture, as do Chinese people, Jewish people, British People, French People and yes, even some Canadian people! We have the market for it, just promote it properly and they will come.

Bring back the forum and help promote new Ontario talent, as well as international (ethnic) acts from all over the world. Bring in artists, public speakers, tech experts and broadcast it live on the internet. Use technology to make the Ontario Place experience even more exciting and fun! Focus on the FUN!!! Make Ontario Place a place where people come to gather, share ideas, learn, experience Ontario innovation, eat, dance, play, exercise, hang-out and enjoy life. Bring back the restaurants and the bars/nightlife. Keep the party going until late at night. Make Ontario Place a great nightlife destination. There is so much more of a purpose for Ontario Place than what it is now. Will our current government have the ability to see the amazing potential? That remains to be seen.

Last but not least, bring in some out-of-the-box thinkers who are much smarter than myself, who can come up with new/experimental ideas that mere mortals like myself, could never imagine. Who knows what kind of crazy /fantastical ideas people could think up. In fact, make it a yearly competition for all Ontarians to get in the act. Make it another huge festival of creativity with cool prizes for the brilliant Ontario minds. Involve the whole province in Ontario, as much as possible.

I'd also like to see a subway station that is located between the Exhibition grounds and Ontario Place. Make OP and EP seem as one cohesive district. Put those Ontario Place parking lots underground or hide them in some new buildings. That land is too valuable to be used for car parking. At the very least, they could reroute the streetcar to make a stop at the front of Ontario Place, possibly coming from Dufferin or Bathurst.

I don't think my ideas would be very difficult to do at all and it could benefit the whole province of Ontario, not just Toronto. All it takes is some serious investment from the Ontario government and some long-term planning. Hire the very best people and think BIG! Don't cheap out on the details because if it's 3rd rate, it won't fly. In Toronto you have to go big or go home!

Last edited:
There is already passive parkland on both sides of Ontario Place, as well as much of the waterfront in that area. It's almost surrounded by parks, so I fail to see why we need more of the same in this area. Ontario Place needs to have a higher purpose than just more passive parkland. It needs to be a major, year round attraction that brings in crowds from all over Ontario, as well as tourists. Toronto needs more major attractions to compete with other top tier cities. I don't understand why so many people have such low expectations for not only Ontario Place but for the whole city in general, including architecture! (no more grey, glass cubes, please!)

Ontario Place should go back to its original concept, except bigger, more creative and year-round. It should function like a world's fair, showcasing our province but also including FUN! You mix tourism with entertainment, add in some unique rides, leisure activities like the the water slides and a sun tanning beach, with a focus on Ontario innovation in tech and you've got something. Have touring music/entertainment/cultural shows and even trade shows, markets, fairs and keep the fun going all year round. Multiculturalism could be used to celebrate foreign cultures and bring in huge crowds for Bollywood events or Chinese New Year. There are tons of very easy ways to bring in large crowds year round because our population comes from all over to world and many of those people are still very attached to their ethnic culture. Take full advantage of that and have massive ethic/cultural events, you just need a large indoor space to hold those big celebrations. Build a new, large complex for Winter/indoor events and festivals. It can be a convention centre like stricture with a central gathering area that includes restaurants, bars, stores, museum/art gallery/event space and a central gathering space for large events. The convention venues at the Ex could be used but I would prefer a different layout than a regular convention centre. A hotel could be used to anchor it, obviously, a few years after Covid has left town and tourism has grown.

Bring back something like the original Children's Village but make it even bigger and add some tech/video games to the mix. In fact, get video games makers to help sponsor it. Make it an area exclusively for active play (exercise for kids, yet FUN) but mixed with high tech gadgets, with video games, so kids can actually learn, while they play and get exercise. Theme much of the play around Ontario. The options are really endless, all you need is to hire some smart tech people with exceptional creativity.

The same thing goes for rides. You don't focus on the same kind of rides Canada's Wonderland has. I think the focus should be on man powered rides like zip lines and more physical things, with a focus on water. Water bumper boats are great but put in paddle boats, that get humans moving and it's even better. Focus on rides that make people more active and you kill 2 birds with one stone. It's probably more fun for competitive, younger people anyway. How about a massive climbing wall or a Thunder Bay mine that people have to navigate in the dark. Keep the focus on Ontario, just like it was in the old days. Promote Ontario tourism, business, technology, multi-culturalism, entertainment, education, culture, outdoor activities, leisure activities and fun in general. That's basically what you find in a great world's fair. The internet can never replicate the value you get at a great world's fair and yes, I have been to a number of them and loved it!

I would like to have it free to enter Ontario Place and then people pay for the attractions they want to enter. You can have some events/activities that are free to the public but sponsored by corporations or maybe even foreign governments to promote travel to their country, like China paying for a huge Chinese New Year event and the cultural show/entertainment is paid by China to promote travel to that country. Add in a Chinese food festival and the line-ups will be LONG! Ethnic festivals will not only bring in people from Toronto but from all over the world. Put on a Diwali festival, bring in Salman Khan and stand back for the huge turnout. I posted a video of Salman Khan 6 years ago on my Youtube channel and it's still always in my most viewed list every month. Indian people love Indian culture, as do Chinese people, Jewish people, British People, French People and yes, even some Canadian people! We have the market for it, just promote it properly and they will come.

Bring back the forum and help promote new Ontario talent, as well as international (ethnic) acts from all over the world. Bring in artists, public speakers, tech experts and broadcast it live on the internet. Use technology to make the Ontario Place experience even more exciting and fun! Focus on the FUN!!! Make Ontario Place a place where people come to gather, share ideas, learn, experience Ontario innovation, eat, dance, play, exercise, hang-out and enjoy life. Bring back the restaurants and the bars/nightlife. Keep the party going until late at night. Make Ontario Place a great nightlife destination. There is so much more of a purpose for Ontario Place than what it is now. Will our current government have the ability to see the amazing potential? That remains to be seen.

Last but not least, bring in some out-of-the-box thinkers who are much smarter than myself, who can come up with new/experimental ideas that mere mortals like myself, could never imagine. Who knows what kind of crazy /fantastical ideas people could think up. In fact, make it a yearly competition for all Ontarians to get in the act. Make it another huge festival of creativity with cool prizes for the brilliant Ontario minds. Involve the whole province in Ontario, as much as possible.

I'd also like to see a subway station that is located between the Exhibition grounds and Ontario Place. Make OP and EP seem as one cohesive district. Put those Ontario Place parking lots underground or hide them in some new buildings. That land is too valuable to be used for car parking. At the very least, they could reroute the streetcar to make a stop at the front of Ontario Place, possibly coming from Dufferin or Bathurst.

I don't think my ideas would be very difficult to do at all and it could benefit the whole province of Ontario, not just Toronto. All it takes is some serious investment from the Ontario government and some long-term planning. Hire the very best people and think BIG! Don't cheap out on the details because if it's 3rd rate, it won't fly. In Toronto you have to go big or go home!

Love what you're saying, would add though, due to the large land mass, it's entirely possible to have some more passive park space integrated with an amphitheater, a Children's Village, zip lines, a Water Park etc.

Mostly you listed off things that were present in the original OP; If we can remove the parking at grade all together (free up the space, parking could be underground or on the 'Ex' grounds........we're adding 4.5ha or almost 12 acres more land.

Just for fun; I disappeared Lake Shore Blvd, to see how much that would free up; with the parking, we get almost 9ha total or 23 acres of new land.

So there's room for a range of activities.

Love what your saying, would add though, due to the large land mass, its entirely possible to have some more passive park space integrated with an amphitheater, a Children's Village, zip lines, a Water Park etc.

Mostly you listed off things that were present in the original OP; If we can remove the parking at grade all together (free up the space, parking could be underground or on the 'Ex' grounds........we're adding 4.5ha or almost 12 acres more land.

Just for fun; I disappeared Lakeshore Blvd, to see how much that would free up; with the parking, we get almost 9ha total or 23 acres of new land.

So there's room for a range of activities.
Oh yes, there are lots of interesting things that can be done here. My ideas are just off the top of my head and only a start. I also would want to see beautiful landscaping and greenery throughout the whole attraction. I would love to see an indoor/year round tropical garden, which could be a centre piece for restaurants and winter events. One problem Toronto has is almost every day of the Summer, there are lots of events, street festivals, ethnic festivals and lots of things to do, including many free events. Then as soon as October/November comes, it's mostly all over. If we had a large, public indoor space, the city could hold large festivals, parties and celebratory events all year long. The fun doesn't have to stop in the Fall. Bring the street fairs and ethic festivals indoors and make it free to enter, so the whole city can enjoy it. There could be paid shows and attractions inside but the venue should be a free, public event space.
Really, there are so many opportunities for public and private funding sources to come together and make a "world Class" tourist attraction, which I think this city needs a lot more of. We are Canada's top tourist city, we should act like it and invest some serious money!

Poor Eberhard Zeidler doesn’t remember creating Ontario Place. Very sad.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/daughter-architect-ontario-place-proposals-1.5829485
1609857703319.png

It would be much better if it had many intense water slides as well to rival those in Wonderland, Wet 'n Wild, and Great Wolf Lodge.

Mmm... Water slides are starting to become a legal liability. Years ago you could get away flying off the end at 30KM an hour and not many places have the space to place them anymore.

In the 90s I used to go flying off the end of them at such speeds that were risking injury coming off. Most places don't want to be sued because someone got injured.

Mmm... Water slides are starting to become a legal liability. Years ago you could get away flying off the end at 30KM an hour and not many places have the space to place them anymore.

In the 90s I used to go flying off the end of them at such speeds that were risking injury coming off. Most places don't want to be sued because someone got injured.
We're not building this kind of water slide though:

3c8dd8548254db8b2535027483bf5b14c095fff71180b8b33880ea1a4753b647_1.jpg

A refreshing quote from the article

In the end, Zeidler says her father cared less about preserving the design of his creations and more about the people that enjoyed them.

"That's all he talked about [...] through my life was how people engage with places emotionally; I think he really cared about how people felt when they were in his spaces," she said.

Back