We can certainly all agree its current condition is poor, and unchanged for sometime; and that something must be done one way or other, sooner rather than later.

The city needs to put its foot down and force the CoS to renovate or vacate. Filing new plans every time a threat comes down the pike is becoming monotonous and predictable.
Local property owners have a good argument to push this as well as I'm sure they are taking a hit on property value due to this thing being here.

The city needs to put its foot down and force the CoS to renovate or vacate. Filing new plans every time a threat comes down the pike is becoming monotonous and predictable.
Local property owners have a good argument to push this as well as I'm sure they are taking a hit on property value due to this thing being here.
CoS to city: You should go after Xenu, not us.

City: We target you because we can't find Xenu.

It's a real shame how this building has been left in such a state of neglect for so long. In terms of time frame it was built and function, it's a rare breed in this city. If given a proper restoration, I'd put it along similar lines to 111 Richmond St W.

Here's an interesting article about Scientology's decline in recent decades which has also left a large portfolio of real estate sitting neglected in many North American and UK cities including Toronto:

Brief post with 2 former Scientologists talking to the caretaker of the building.
https://tonyortega.org/2019/12/20/p...yesore-and-a-prisoner-of-the-hole-resurfaces/

Tony Ortega had several posts this year showing the Scientologist Toronto propaganda "Toronto, Strong and Free"

Like here https://tonyortega.org/2019/10/30/s...harges-in-narconon-fraud-case-ahead-of-trial/ (scroll down for it) and here https://tonyortega.org/2019/10/26/f...ave-been-busy-in-the-halls-of-justice-lately/

From seeing lots of the donors stuff, it seems the same people over and over, but that's very Scientology. Donr: Here's a million dollars. Scientology: is that all you've got? Take out another mortgage, it's not enough

Last edited:
I’ve wondered for years why they haven’t sold this place, taken the cash, and moved elsewhere. Let’s hope something materializes from this.

Not sure if this pertains to their renovations or something new, but building permits were applied for back in February. I have a feeling the movement on Bauhaus on King is the reason, as once that building comes down, they'll need to move, but that's just a theory.
It's far more likely they're just following their pattern of filing another permit to keep themselves protected. This, "look, we're gonna fix it up soon!" has been going on for what? Almost a decade now?

It's far more likely they're just following their pattern of filing another permit to keep themselves protected. This, "look, we're gonna fix it up soon!" has been going on for what? Almost a decade now?

I wonder when the City will say fix it up or sell it off.

Soon, I hope. This building is a blight on the neighbourhood!

At a certain point, the City can deny permits. By denying permits, it sends a clear message that they City of Toronto will no longer play their games while the building deteriorates.

If I was the City I would send building inspectors in prior to issuing any further permits to ensure that work from earlier permits is actually being undertaken. They are playing games, everyone knows it and it is time they reaped what they sow.

At a certain point, the City can deny permits. By denying permits, it sends a clear message that they City of Toronto will no longer play their games while the building deteriorates.

If I was the City I would send building inspectors in prior to issuing any further permits to ensure that work from earlier permits is actually being undertaken. They are playing games, everyone knows it and it is time they reaped what they sow.
The building was quite dilapidated when they vacated the premises. There were apparently unsafe conditions, malfunctioning elevators, etc. I can't imagine it's gotten any better since 2012 with even less maintenance, squatters, etc. It's likely now past the point of restoration/rehabilitation and will need to be torn down. Which is a shame because it was a handsome building in its day.

The building was quite dilapidated when they vacated the premises. There were apparently unsafe conditions, malfunctioning elevators, etc. I can't imagine it's gotten any better since 2012 with even less maintenance, squatters, etc. It's likely now past the point of restoration/rehabilitation and will need to be torn down. Which is a shame because it was a handsome building in its day.

What boggles my mind is why they have not sold it. They could make a pretty penny off it.

I do not think the City can deny permits IF they meet the standards. What they CAN do is inspect the building to ensure it is 'safe and secure" and insist on repairs to make it so if it isn't. If these necessary repairs are not done, the City can do them and add cost to property tax and, eventually, sell the building to get what they are owed.

What boggles my mind is why they have not sold it. They could make a pretty penny off it.
They're probably holding fast to the dream of being able to suck in suckers off the Yonge Street sidewalk again, some day when they can afford it. Off of Yonge Street, I have no concept of where in Toronto they're lurking (okay, so maybe it's the future Bauhaus site currently, but point being they have no visibility down there, and won't be able to brainwash as many people).

They're probably holding fast to the dream of being able to suck in suckers off the Yonge Street sidewalk again, some day when they can afford it. Off of Yonge Street, I have no concept of where in Toronto they're lurking (okay, so maybe it's the future Bauhaus site currently, but point being they have no visibility down there, and won't be able to brainwash as many people).

Last I heard they were on Peter Street.

Last I heard they were on Peter Street.
I think they should be located in Aura's Shops ;)

Back