Yeah the 1 meter under supertall status seems to be more of a statement from City Planning to the developer, i cant see
how a measly 1 meter affects or makes any difference on a building that has already been planned and approved @ 299 meters tall
by the way there is one more out there that's been approved @ 299 meters... Sugar Wharf Tower B, which i expect the final height to be a bit different
Do you think the planners care about giving or not giving a supertall status when the developers themselves don't care about that? If they ran calculations on shadows and 299 m came out to be the max allowed height, then somehow it becomes a conspiracy because it is 1 meter shorter than 300? What if the height got approved at 301 m? Would you still have said the same thing?

Regular people (read developers, investors, residents, City staff, people walking by the building) don't care about skyscraper or supertall status. People do care if their building is the tallest in the city but that's about it. Only some height geeks on a forum like this care about that number but without having any power to influence anything in that matter. If you have time then do check an annual report of a developer and see whether they talk about profits or they focus on achieving supertall status.

A little perspective here...

Currently tallest residential building in Canada: Aura at 272 m.
Currently tallest building in Canada: First Canadian Place at 298 m.

Source:

Current planned height for YSL: 299 m.

...while there are taller buildings in the works and more planned as I type, this tower alone will smash those two long held records.

Further more: 300 m is still shy of a 1000 ft, 984 ft to be more precise.

So I'm not sure 1 more miserly metre is all that worth it, as this building will be still *Bleep!*ing big technically in the end.

Do you think the planners care about giving or not giving a supertall status when the developers themselves don't care about that? If they ran calculations on shadows and 299 m came out to be the max allowed height, then somehow it becomes a conspiracy because it is 1 meter shorter than 300? What if the height got approved at 301 m? Would you still have said the same thing?

Regular people (read developers, investors, residents, City staff, people walking by the building) don't care about skyscraper or supertall status. People do care if their building is the tallest in the city but that's about it. Only some height geeks on a forum like this care about that number but without having any power to influence anything in that matter. If you have time then do check an annual report of a developer and see whether they talk about profits or they focus on achieving supertall status.
Do you honestly believe that Developers and Investors "don't care about skyscraper or supertall status"? Do you really believe that this developer got within 1 metre of achieving supertall status and decided "who cares about an extra metre in height" ? Do you not think for potential buyers of units in this tower that being able to claim that they live in the first Super Tall Tower in Canada doesn't impart an extra level of prestige and extra level of value to their Condo ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So - having read the last few pages of posts: has it been confirmed that this is back to life? A few Concord contractors were on site, but nothing beyond that?

So - having read the last few pages of posts: has it been confirmed that this is back to life? A few Concord contractors were on site, but nothing beyond that?

There's more.

Thanks to member @Booster

Who in post #2020 in this thread revealed the following:

Received letter from YSL, concord take over this project, every buyer keep their contract. Expect finish time is 2026. Today has workers working on site

What ever which way a building can become a supertall makes it in my book. Which is 300m not a 1000ft, which would total to about 304m instead .

I talked with a prominent Toronto architect a couple of years ago about a plan their firm had for a building that was just shy of supertall status, and the reaction on UT to that. He was surprised to hear the comments—they had not thought about the height that way, only stopping the building before the shadowing would become a problem for the City—but took it onboard and the subsequent revision found a way to get it over the 300-metre mark without impacting shadows. There's another revision on the way, no idea if it will maintain supertall status, we'll see. It comes down to supertall status might be nice to have, but it's not the driving force behind the design for every tall building going up here.

Further more: 300 m is still shy of a 1000 ft, 984 ft to be more precise.

Unless you're American and tied to the antiquated Imperial System, why would you care about 1,000 feet? Forget about that arbitrary number clung to by that backward nation and go with the arbitrary number that the modern world has settled on: 300 metres!

I talked with a prominent Toronto architect a couple of years ago about a plan their firm had for a building that was just shy of supertall status, and the reaction on UT to that. He was surprised to hear the comments—they had not thought about the height that way, only stopping the building before the shadowing would become a problem for the City—but took it onboard and the subsequent revision found a way to get it over the 300-metre mark without impacting shadows. There's another revision on the way, no idea if it will maintain supertall status, we'll see. It comes down to supertall status might be nice to have, but it's not the driving force behind the design for every tall building going up here.

Unless you're American and tied to the antiquated Imperial System, why would you care about 1,000 feet? Forget about that arbitrary number clung to by that backward nation and go with the arbitrary number that the modern world has settled on: 300 metres!

The Imperial system is still used in many places.

The height of planes flying or top of mountains are usually in feet instead of meters. Also the height of buildings. It's easier visually for me to look at height of building in feet instead of meters.

Also, body temperature is also in farhenheit instead of celcius in most cases.

Besides that, I think everything else is in metric system

The Imperial system is still used in many places.

The height of planes flying or top of mountains are usually in feet instead of meters. Also the height of buildings. It's easier visually for me to look at height of building in feet instead of meters.

Also, body temperature is also in farhenheit instead of celcius in most cases.

Besides that, I think everything else is in metric system

Healthcare in Canada uses Celsius for body temperature.

Altitude is a function of the Americans dominating the aviation industry.

It's also the reason we continue to see imperial measures for many construction materials; and in the railway sector.

As of 2016, the only countries that had not adopted metric were Myanmar, Liberia............and, of course, the U.S.

For the record, I was saying that for those that do. Since this came out from an argument over 1 metre...

Healthcare in Canada uses Celsius for body temperature.

Its also the reason we continue to see imperial measures for many construction materials; and in the railway sector.

As of 2016, the only countries that had not adopted metric were Myanmar, Liberia............and, of course, the U.S.
PS/Also: I believe metric is being more widely used in the use among the hard sciences in the US, as it's likely easier to measure and gauge when everything is in derivatives of 10's.

As far as I know, the Americans were stubborn about their unit system even when the Soviets produced a buttload of civilian and military aircraft. The Soviets, of course, used the metric system. And when the Euros arrived on the scene with Airbus, the Americans persisted. So I think you meant to say it's an attitude thing, not altitude ;)

HPA's CC3? thats the only project that comes to mind.

With all due respect, please stay on topic, enough about units of measurement, who cares?…all we really need to know is if Concord is sticking with the original design, or will they, like The One, apply for a heigh increase? It does seem such a waste to stop 1 m short of the Super tall status. and enough slandering about Toronto using the term world class, but for the record, whether you agree or not, we are a world-class city, like any other big city, we have much to be proud of, much that is unique to only Toronto, but I digress. I’m just thrilled that the project has come back to life. I pass that site daily, and ever since it stopped, it kind of hurts to see the sad remains of the former building that once stood there, as I said, I’m just thrilled that it’s back in action, of course I’ll be even more thrilled if the city grants it super tall status, fingers crossed.

Back