News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Toronto did not make the list of the top 10 most impressive subways in the world. Surprisingly, either did Montréal's Metro.

Subways are as much a part of big-city living as high-rises and gridlock, and they get about as much love. For many people, subways are crowded, noisy places only marginally better than being stuck in traffic -- and most of them are. But the best of them are not only efficient, they reflect the character of the cities they serve and the people they carry.

For the list, link to http://www.wired.com/culture/design/multimedia/2008/06/gallery_trains

I think there is a little bias in the list.

Why would Toronto's make the list? It's not an extensive system and the stations are unremarkable.

Because Toronto's subway is not impressive, we should stop building subways.

- Yet another reason why LRT is the answer to all of Toronto's problems.

Because Toronto's subway is not impressive, we should stop building subways.

- Yet another reason why LRT is the answer to all of Toronto's problems.
my sarcasm meter just broke.

I'm surprised Seoul didn't get mentioned - that's one of the biggest systems in the world, clean, well organised, and expanding fast.

Though I'm Chicago got mentioned, I always figured it was pretty unimpressive when I'm on it, not much of it is actually subway, and not very extensive given how big Chicago is.

Though I'm Chicago got mentioned, I always figured it was pretty unimpressive when I'm on it, not much of it is actually subway, and not very extensive given how big Chicago is.

The irony is, it was more about the El than the subway per se...

The Chicago L is a full metro system, though the majority is elevated. The central subway stations for both the Red and Blue Lines (State and Dearborn Subways) is cool for the ability to walk between the stops in the subway tunnels and the long narrow pedestrian tunnels between the two subways. The platforms for elevated stations are still mostly wooden, and stations are ancient.

I think it is on the list for its retro factor than the quality of service.

It's ironic that Toronto yearns to be world-class city, but it refuses to do the things a world-class city would do, like build a proper mass transit system. I think almost all of the cities on that list are more world-class than Toronto.

I know the sheer mention of the term "world-class" will ignite a flame war. So I'm sorry. But it just speaks to how myopic the TTC is right now.

To be fair, Toronto gets shafted in terms of receiving support from other levels of government.

It's ironic that Toronto yearns to be world-class city, but it refuses to do the things a world-class city would do, like build a proper mass transit system. I think almost all of the cities on that list are more world-class than Toronto.

I know the sheer mention of the term "world-class" will ignite a flame war. So I'm sorry. But it just speaks to how myopic the TTC is right now.

If only it were that easy.

Funding those kinds of things just isn't a priority in this country.

does anyone have the book, Transit Maps of the World? It is a great pickup for any transit fan. It's amazing to see the networks in other cities.

does anyone have the book, Transit Maps of the World? It is a great pickup for any transit fan. It's amazing to see the networks in other cities.

I am a proud owner!

My cousin picked it up for me when she was in Boston two weeks ago.

Haven't got through it all, but its fascinating.

Um the TTC system is pretty shit really :p Unattractive stations, not kept very clean, falling apart, leaks.
Such an amazing job was done at Museum station. I'd like to see the whole system renovated.

Back