News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Neat. I wonder when we will start to see major restorations of service. Late July? September?
Plans are ongoing.

Supposedly they are targetting the middle of July for a return to half-hourly service on the Lakeshore Line on weekends. Which, considering what I saw this past weekend, they already desperately need.

And they are working on more services returning in September, including a resumption of "normal" off-peak service on the Kitchener, Barrie and Stouffville Lines.

But apparently there has been a big pushback against the lengthening of trains, which blows my mind.

Dan

As I understand it, there will be several dates with gradual increases over the summer and fall, rather than a single big scale-up date.

- Paul
I expected this, so not a surprise.

I wonder when Lake Shore express trains resume specifically, and if Metrolinx is planning all day service to Hamilton at some point. My understanding is that the infrastructure is there for it now, and they are just waiting for ridership to return.

I expected this, so not a surprise.

I wonder when Lake Shore express trains resume specifically, and if Metrolinx is planning all day service to Hamilton at some point. My understanding is that the infrastructure is there for it now, and they are just waiting for ridership to return.

My understanding was that Mx was prepared to GO to Hamilton in the middle of last year, and wanted to; but was denied permission by the Minister.

* I cannot confirm the veracity of that, as it was the result of an off-the record chat. But I find it highly plausible.

Last edited:
But apparently there has been a big pushback against the lengthening of trains, which blows my mind.

Dan

I’m just a guy in the bleachers, so I don’t know the official rationale….but….Getting frequency back up is mission critcal to restoring ridership. At first there are likely to be plenty of lightly loaded trains. That could be optically dicey, I suppose. Plus, Bringing all that equipment back into service is a big effort and may not be achievable in a shorter timeframs. I wonder how many railcars that have been sitting idle have expired or deferred brake inspections and such. And of course, longer trains have marginally higher fuel needs.

If trains do fill up, there will be no objection to adding equipment, I’m sure. It will be interesting how quickly the riders become comfortable with more fully loaded equipment after the long period of distanced seating.

- Paul

Last edited:
I’m just a guy in the bleachers, so I don’t know the official rationale….but….Getting frequency back up is mission critcal to restoring ridership. At first there are likely to be plenty of lightly loaded trains. That could be optically dicey, I suppose. Plus, Bringing all that equipment back into service is a big effort and may not be achievable in a shorter timeframs. I wonder how many railcars that have been sitting idle have expired or deferred brake inspections and such. And of course, longer trains have marginally higher fuel needs.

If trains do fill up, there will be no objection to adding equipment, I’m sure. It will be interesting how quickly the riders become comfortable with more fully loaded equipment after the long period of distanced seating.

- Paul

Perhaps there is concern once they get the 12 car behemoths out again it was set the logic back to old times; commuter only service. We need to focus on all day 2 way service and set the stage for RER, and the best way to do that is to have as many shorter trains as often as possible now.

Perhaps there is concern once they get the 12 car behemoths out again it was set the logic back to old times; commuter only service. We need to focus on all day 2 way service and set the stage for RER, and the best way to do that is to have as many shorter trains as often as possible now.

I just hope they run 12 car service to Niagara this year. That service is always packed.

Based on what I'm hearing........

I think they will need at least some L12s come September, but probably not before.

Maybe not as many as before in September; but unless they have the ability to run more rush hour trains, L12s will be likely be commonplace again by January.

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, why would the Minister block that at the time? Concern over operating costs?

Keeping in mind, that this is third-hand information.........

I was under the impression that it was seen as bad form to have a good news/expansion announcement in the midst of the pandemic.

But it was also suggested to me, that saving the 'good news' for the year leading up to the election was something that had occurred to said party.

Opens June 28th:

Ontario to Officially Open New Bloomington GO Station​

Photos from the news release:

1623870814298.png

1623870834454.png

1623870849039.png

That is one seriously elaborate GO Station!

Yet.....asphalt on the platforms?

Are they putting snow melt systems under blacktop now?

Last edited:

Back