Please, Mongo, they're not "rendertrees." What you're looking at are specimens of the mighty renderwood, seen here in its native habitat.

WaterfronToronto plants so many of them, it's had to build a special renderwood nursery just to raise them.

I'm reposting something I posted a year ago on the Murano thread:

Canadian Renderwood -- Graphosilvans canadiansis

A close relative of the American Renderwood (Graphosilvans americansis), this forest giant grows at an amazing rate, reaching 20m (65ft) in height within its first year of life. Needing little water, it actually grows better the more polluted the air is.

Noted for its perfectly straight trunk, this tree is highly resistant to damage. It can withstand impacts from runaway SUVs with little more than scrapes. Its bark has the unusual property of shedding notices and handbills within moments of their attachment.

Strangely, this species was unknown to science until the twentieth century, but since then has proliferated across Canada.

Aside from the fact that rederpeople tend to be well-dressed, perpetually happy and always driving in perfectly spotless automobiles that roll on perfectly paved roads, the streetside rendertrees tend to have an absolutely fascinating translucent quality to them.

Absolutely fascinating that they have spread across our fine rendernation.

Today, walking down Yorkville I said to some random guy sitting across from this development: "That's not a condo it's a mental hospital!" He agreed, then told me "it's a mental hospital on that job site, filled with crazy people." Turns out, he was a Mexican labourer. lol.

I took a few photos form my personal pleasure, but decided since I'm a crazy myself, to share them with y'all for free.

Urban dreamer, we must have been following each-other all over... I always hate it when someone else beats me to the post.

well here are some more pictures anyhow.

2519164016_f73733b2eb_b.jpg

2518339307_151cc5cb06_b.jpg

2518338407_a456755a96_b.jpg

cladding! (whatever it's made of) looks nice actually, and theres more around the back, but its very difficult to photograph...

2518337417_6a15179680_b.jpg

Just the mechanical left, and we're topped out!

I still love love love this project, but we'll see once the cladding goes up!

love that first pic, Dane, what a change to the streetwall along Yorkville Ave-with Regency, 100 Yorkville, and the Hazelton...

Actually, just realized that this thread title should probably be 80 & 100 Yorkville - it's two separate addresses, right? :)

I think its the same development, it wraps around a current building on Yorkville. There are 2 towers the taller is 80 Yorkville closer to Bay; the lower tower is the one is on top of the yellow brick Sinai.

As much as I dislike the design and details of the new Regency building, it does a wonderful job of continuing the streetwall up along Bay north of Bloor.

June 19 2008

2593481670_52f16c483b_b.jpg

Street Level at 80 Yorkville (taller tower building)

2593482660_576e64314f_b.jpg

80 Yorkville again, but in to the left of this photo is the small stand-alone store thats connected to the podium of the tower vie a second floor bridge, which goes overtop a new pedestrian "laneway" ..... do you get it?

2592645667_020ea2cba9_b.jpg

100 Yorkville, topped out, and at the street level the facade is coming closer to the street, which is making a wonderful impression on Yorkville ave.

2593488618_d69b7dce88_b.jpg

Hopefully we'll be seeing some glass soon

2592652837_8e468dcac8_b.jpg

Yorkville is looking great with all this new height and density! I dont get up to that part of town very much so these pics are much appreciated.

Ah Le Trou Normand, home of the blandest Winterlicious dinner I ever had. A dry porkchop does not French cuisine make...

The streets in Yorkville are in such bad shape- as in many parts of the city, but, you would think that the BIA might want something done about it and put an initiative forward about cobblestone streets or something?

p5

Back