News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

About time we see Metrolinx finally make use of the Kipling Regional Bus Terminal. Not exactly the bus route I was hoping for, and hopefully they put in another route (ie: something through to Hamilton).

Oh no! But that will also plug up the CN Kingston Sub-CN York Sub as VIA trains sit and wait for a clear signal just to crawl behind a local GO train.
I guess they might as well stop all Via trains at Guildwood because they're going to be stuck in traffic anyway.

If GO had run 2tph local + 2tph express, there would have been enough space for VIA to still run efficiently, but clearly Metrolinx does not care even the slightest amount about enabling reasonable intercity services.

I realize that Intercity service is not in their mandate but causing major disruptions to VIA to save much smaller inconveniences to GO customers is contrary to the public interest. There needs to be some mechanism to assess the impacts that Metrolinx's actions have on VIA given that both are publicly owned companies and VIA is an important part of the passenger rail network.

Last edited:
Any chance hourly weekend bus service could be implemented for the RH line? That service gap is a little odd (and inconvenient for me!)

Metrolinx has covered the Sept service changes on their blog.

Link here: https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/08/...eekday-service-across-the-go-transit-network/

Excerpts Below:

View attachment 344172

Also:

View attachment 344174

and

View attachment 344173

Over on the K-W corridor:

View attachment 344175

Finally:

View attachment 344178

Lots of other stuff if you follow the link.

To me, the key enhancement for rail service is the new express option for K-W passengers.

While the big negative is the absence of express service for LSE customers.

Where was this weekday train to Niagara Falls last week when I needed it??

🤬

Metrolinx has covered the Sept service changes on their blog.

Link here: https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/08/...eekday-service-across-the-go-transit-network/

Excerpts Below:

View attachment 344172

Also:

View attachment 344174

and

View attachment 344173

Over on the K-W corridor:

View attachment 344175

Finally:

View attachment 344178

Lots of other stuff if you follow the link.

To me, the key enhancement for rail service is the new express option for K-W passengers.

While the big negative is the absence of express service for LSE customers.
Looks like service levels have returned to pre pandemic levels and then some on the Kitchener line. The mid day service is great.

the extension of 29 to Kipling is a much needed no brainer. I feel bad for KW residents who still have to transfer on weekends.
The lack of weekend service is disappointing. I know it makes no sense at the moment with the bridge replacements in Guelph but that line deserves it soon.

I wonder if GO will go (pun intended) the slow death route with Etobicoke North and run fewer trains to stop to discourage usage just like York U station?

Looks like service levels have returned to pre pandemic levels and then some on the Kitchener line. The mid day service is great.

the extension of 29 to Kipling is a much needed no brainer. I feel bad for KW residents who still have to transfer on weekends.
The lack of weekend service is disappointing. I know it makes no sense at the moment with the bridge replacements in Guelph but that line deserves it soon.

I wonder if GO will go (pun intended) the slow death route with Etobicoke North and run fewer trains to stop to discourage usage just like York U station?

It won't be an intentional "slow death" for Etobicoke North. It just will only see whatever train service is feasible until Woodbine Station opens. Whenever that project starts.

Good to see some express services return on Lakeshore West. Ditto for early morning weekend train service to West Harbour - getting service increases already, less than a month after launching!

It'll be interesting to see if the faster run times stick around as ridership returns - The September schedules still have Lakeshore West express trains running 5 minutes faster from Hamilton Centre to downtown over pre-pandemic.

While I'm waiting for the full Kitchener schedule to get published, the introduction of new express trains is encouraging. A quick look at those travel times and it doesn't appear that the schedules are yet reflecting the higher track speeds west of Guelph.

This is the first schedule change since COVID where GO service seems to be of a generally similar quality compared to pre-pandemic. Which is great to see.

Table 31-33 is now online.

What really surprises me are the number of counter-peak trains now going as far as Bramalea. The transfer to bus to get to Brampton, Mount Pleasant and beyond is annoying, especially with a 15 minute wait between bus arrival and train departure going eastbound, but that's only during the peak times at least, when traffic on the 401-427-Gardiner is at its worst.

It would be nice to see the return of Route 39, which was the express bus between Bramalea and Guelph that was cut a few years ago, even just for a few counter-peak train-meets.

Good to see some express services return on Lakeshore West. Ditto for early morning weekend train service to West Harbour - getting service increases already, less than a month after launching!

It'll be interesting to see if the faster run times stick around as ridership returns - The September schedules still have Lakeshore West express trains running 5 minutes faster from Hamilton Centre to downtown over pre-pandemic.

While I'm waiting for the full Kitchener schedule to get published, the introduction of new express trains is encouraging. A quick look at those travel times and it doesn't appear that the schedules are yet reflecting the higher track speeds west of Guelph.

This is the first schedule change since COVID where GO service seems to be of a generally similar quality compared to pre-pandemic. Which is great to see.

The Express option 5-6 mintues for K-W passengers inbound to Toronto.

That's a modest, but helpful step.

looking at the Lakeshore Express services - the morning trips generally make sense, running on 30 minute frequencies arriving at Union between 7am and 8:30am, but the evening service runs surprisingly early, with departures at 3:47, 4:17, 4:47, then 5:47.

Generally I'm surprised they don't have a 5:17 train, which I figured would be one of the more popular departure times.

Table 31-33 is now online.

What really surprises me are the number of counter-peak trains now going as far as Bramalea. The transfer to bus to get to Brampton, Mount Pleasant and beyond is annoying, especially with a 15 minute wait between bus arrival and train departure going eastbound, but that's only during the peak times at least, when traffic on the 401-427-Gardiner is at its worst.

It would be nice to see the return of Route 39, which was the express bus between Bramalea and Guelph that was cut a few years ago, even just for a few counter-peak train-meets.
It's still erroring out for me?

Yea, travel time savings from express services are fairly modest, but better than nothing. Lakeshore west saves I believe 12 minutes with an express service, but I also believe it skips more stations.

It's still erroring out for me?

Yea, travel time savings from express services are fairly modest, but better than nothing. Lakeshore west saves I believe 12 minutes with an express service, but I also believe it skips more stations.

There are also several construction projects on the inner Kitchener Line: new platforms at Malton and Weston, tracks diverting around the Mount Dennis station, and a fourth track going in. Woodbine Station and King Liberty Stations whenever those start, will also be major construction sites along the route.

That might explain the conservative time savings on the Kitchener express trains too.

Back