News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

SRT is at its capacity 6am-10am and 3pm-8pm. Replacing it would mean replacing everything just like it’s a new line. Vehicles are no longer manufactured and the current infrastructure is literally crumbling. Kennedy&STC can handle 6car SRT train set, Midland&McCowan has the platform for it beyond the gate, but would need a retrofit, Lawrence&Ellesmere would need a bigger retrofit to accommodate 6car sets. Not to mention elevators at Lawrence,Ellesmere,Midland,McCowan.

Plus John Tory said climbing 3 levels of stairs is too much for residents to endure to transfer from line2-line3…yet he was okay with 2 levels of stairs and a 300m walk to an outdoor Smart Track station…..

I will say, Lawrence East may be missed. The new stop at is a bit far east at McCowan, and the Smart Track stop was cancelled. I personally believe the SRT right of way should be a private BRT up to ellesmere.
Ah yes, I suppose Vancouver and KL’s new trains are but a figment of my imagination

Ah yes, I suppose Vancouver and KL’s new trains are but a figment of my imagination
They won't work on the Scarborough RT without a large amount of work being done on the line first mainly the small tunnel under the stoville line the curve in is too tight for anything other than the mark 1 trains.

Reactions: JBR
They won't work on the Scarborough RT without a large amount of work being done on the line first mainly the small tunnel under the stoville line the curve in is too tight for anything other than the mark 1 trains.
That tunnel been the killer since it was first plan and built. If it wasn't for it, the SRT would had been replace long ago. The one year of rebuilding that tunnel been a killer also along with the cost. The cost would been a drop in the bucket compare to what taking place today.

First look at Metrolinx’s tunnel boring machine used on Scarborough Subway Extension

I suppose you know everything there is to know about the infrastructure hurdles and differences between the 2 sets of trains 👍

Line 3 Bus Replacement Study Update

Download from this link.

1631134840993.png

1631134864462.png

I'm curious what Metrolinx thinks about all this? I do know that they said RER could be squeezed in even if the RT stays in the Stouffville corridor, but I wonder if they think its worth having a BRT taking up what could be a 3rd and 4th track when a subway is being built just down the road.
I'm not aware of any plans to build a third track anytime soon - and the BRT is only temporary until the subway opens. Though seems to me the report is written to not build a BRT along the SRT - that it would take 18 months to open after the SRT closes is a big sign (which is odd, given how much of the Gardiner east of the DVP disappeared in the 7 days since it was permanently closed. How long does it take to rip up the tracks, and pave a temporary road - at least to Ellesmere?

I'm not aware of any plans to build a third track anytime soon - and the BRT is only temporary until the subway opens. Though seems to me the report is written to not build a BRT along the SRT - that it would take 18 months to open after the SRT closes is a big sign (which is odd, given how much of the Gardiner east of the DVP disappeared in the 7 days since it was permanently closed. How long does it take to rip up the tracks, and pave a temporary road - at least to Ellesmere?
You're comparing apples to oranges here. With the SRT corridor you would have to: rip up the tracks, rip up the electrical components, rip up the trackbed, and demolish the station and associated underground infrastructure amongst other things before you can even think about constructing anything.

There would be a lot more leg work associated with this.

2 year timeline to tear out and pave over the ROW between Kennedy and Ellesmere…..wow!
Just to compare timelines, how long is it taking to tear down the Gardiner…?

2 year timeline to tear out and pave over the ROW between Kennedy and Ellesmere…..wow!
They contracted turtle service to do the evaluation and design!

The usual response by the powers-that-be. Delay, delay, and delay any transit improvements, even sabotage it as much as possible, to appease their automobile gods.

Are you including paving over in the tear down?

8 years if you take the dates from Waterfront Toronto (2016-2024). Arguably the process started before 2016. 2016 is just when city council chose Hybrid Option 3

2 months if you are only interested in the Logan ramp demolition start to end

Back