News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Apparently the trip is supposed to take 4 hours, which is a bit brutal, and only two trips per day.

They should have started with one trip in either direction. I would think that a morning train from London to Toronto would be more useful after the VIA train leaves london.

The government press release says that it is just one trip in each direction, in the weekday peak period.

I'm with the people who say the corridor improvements should come first. This is going to give trains in London a bad reputation that won't easily disappear. Liberals talked about high speed rail on this corridor, the Conservatives are delivering something that would be absolutely painful to use. Those seats are not designed for a four hour trip. Humans are not design for a four hour commute each way.

I think the only people who will use this are those who took Greyhound for specific reasons. Like one off travel trips.

I doubt anyone will commute with this. I sure hope not.

I had a trip take 4 hours a few years ago when the Kitchener -> Union express was delayed over 2 hours by weather related equipment delays. I was very happy to get off the train that morning.I was very thankful I had a decent data plan at the time. But having only 5 hours in the office that day compared to 8 hours in transit made it seem not really worth the trip.

I think the only people who will use this are those who took Greyhound for specific reasons. Like one off travel trips.

I doubt anyone will commute with this. I sure hope not.
It's not for people who want to travel from London to Toronto, it's more for in-between stops.

I'm sure the trip times will get shorter when the trains can travel faster around Guelph which is already in motion. And they replaced some bridges near Kitchener.

A tie and sleeper replacement initiative would shorten trip times.

I'm with the people who say the corridor improvements should come first. This is going to give trains in London a bad reputation that won't easily disappear. Liberals talked about high speed rail on this corridor, the Conservatives are delivering something that would be absolutely painful to use. Those seats are not designed for a four hour trip. Humans are not design for a four hour commute each way.
So does this mean that metrolinx now owns that section of rail?

Who on earth would take this... 4 hours? There's VIA and bus service, there's carpooling.. all would take around half the time. Screams of politics, so the government can say they "brought transit to London".

If people are actually riding this train, it means something is very broken in the GTHA
Via is super expensive though.

So does this mean that metrolinx now owns that section of rail?

No.

They have CN's permission for this run (and will pay a track access fee)

The same as they do on Niagara Service; and the portion of K-W through downtown Brampton; as well as to CP for the Milton service)

Didn’t either @crs1026 or @smallspy roughly quote the cost of basic corridor improvements at $120M? Given the cost of the GTA transit projects, the figure seems like a rounding error. I wonder what the reduction in travel times would be for such an investment?
This is the key. The money ought not to be the obstacle. It's a minor amount in the scope of RER or subway construction. And it's relatively quick work to perform, as there aren't any new embankments or retaining walls or grade separations to design and construct.

I would rather have a crappy train that everybody complains about today, creating immediate pressure for the upgraded track... as opposed to a BCA that will only be studied for years.

One could easily achieve the same quality trackage as the Ottawa - Smiths Falls - Brockville line. With similar speeds.

- Paul

Transit geeks will take it.
And students. Much more comfortable than the bus and cheaper than VIA with more space. Who cares about the comfort of the seats when you have a safe train journey.

Back