News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Maybe not, if people are concerned about being on a crowded platform, they can just take the train to Sheppard West and wait for the next train there. Idly waiting for a train on a crowded platform isn't any faster for the passenger.

It wasn't difficult changing at Glencairn - the Glencairn trains were never as full, and then when you boarded at Glencairn, the train had emptied out a bit, so never too busy.

But I haven't done it in 3 or 4 years.

Haven't they been running all trains to Vaughan Centre since Covid? I'm not sure how close they are to pre-Covid service levels on Line 1 ... perhaps the days of short-turns are done?

Ironically I expect service to York University in AM peak may be better than it was pre-Covid!

The train has left the station on that - we'd need to delay Finch W/close it for years to build the connection.

Finch LRT will be on surface both east and west of the Finch-Keele station. A branch of that line can be built later, and it should not be difficult. No need to delay the opening of the Keele - Humber phase, and no need to close anything for more than a few weeks.

Overall, if the TTC wants to be short-turning half of the northbound Spadina line trains at Sheppard West, Wilson, or Yorkdale, then the TYSSE section will have plenty of slots for extra trains. And that strengthens the case for sending the Line 4 trains up the TYSSE section, as that could be done without inconveniencing any of the Line 1 riders.

But if the TTC would rather not short-turn any of the Line 1 trains, then a simple design with no interlining is preferred.

Whatever you aren't going to convince me that it's necessary or will work. The TTC would just screw it up like they did when line 2 opened because they didn't want it to actually work.

Being an organization that is functionally averse to a certain thing does not make that thing impossible.

Being an organization that is functionally averse to a certain thing does not make that thing impossible.
Ok so how do you plan to implement this if the TTC is against it? Your plan is very centred on one group of people whom you seem to think deserve better transit solutions then others. What about if someone coming from Sheppard wants to go to Yorkdale mall it seems like under your plans it's ok for them to have to transfer trains on a different level to go two stops but if they are going north then it's unfair that they should have to do that?

Ok so how do you plan to implement this if the TTC is against it? Your plan is very centred on one group of people whom you seem to think deserve better transit solutions then others. What about if someone coming from Sheppard wants to go to Yorkdale mall it seems like under your plans it's ok for them to have to transfer trains on a different level to go two stops but if they are going north then it's unfair that they should have to do that?
whoa whoa whoa rein it in there bud. All I'm saying is that the TTC's aversion to interlining operations DOES NOT make interlining operations impossible.

There are a number of things that would need to be addressed in the proposal to interline Line 1 and and Line 4. Two things that are not at issue though are 1) Capacity North of Sheppard and 2) A major trip generator in York University.

There are a number of things that would need to be addressed in the proposal to interline Line 1 and and Line 4. Two things that are not at issue though are 1) Capacity North of Sheppard and 2) A major trip generator in York University.
Why are these more important than other people who need to use the subway going in other directions? What is your evidence that there is a capacity issue heading north? What evidence do you have that there are people who are going from Sheppard to York university that need some sort of extra service?

Reactions: syn
Why are these more important than other people who need to use the subway going in other directions? What is your evidence that there is a capacity issue heading north? What evidence do you have that there are people who are going from Sheppard to York university that need some sort of extra service?
The TTC would just screw it up like they did when line 2 opened because they didn't want it to actually work.

This is what I was replying to. None of the questions you are now asking were asked in the post I responded to.

Moving on...

This is what I was replying to. None of the questions you are now asking were asked in the post I responded to.

Moving on...
I don't see how this idea will work and I'm also not the only one as well. The TTC if they get forced to interline line 1 and line 4 would likely do what they did when they were forced to interline line 1 and 2 when it was built. It was an idea by city council at the time that the TTC didn't want to implement so they set it up for failure during the trial that was agreed to.

I don't really get why me desagring with you is such a problem. I don't really get this whole not making multiple transfers is a problem for people. There are people who make them all the time either changing lines or changing to a bus or streetcar. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are people who get on at Woodbine or Victoria park and then get off at main Street station to take the go train downtow. I just don't understand why it's so important for one group of people to be able to have a better connection then others.

Just because something exists doesn't mean it's optimal . . .

I don't even understand what you're actually argument is even about you seem to think that there is some sort of demand for people who are going west on Sheppard to only get north to either take a go train or go to York university or Vaughan. So to solve this problem you want to add extra trains onto a line but that doesn't do anything for people who want to go south from Sheppard west but I suppose they don't matter in your plans because they aren't using an "underserved" section of the line. You're argument has failed in so many ways. You have not presented anything that actually suggests that it is necessary at all.

You seem to fundamentally not understand what is being proposed (a mostly minor amendment to an eventual extension) which is something that uses spare capacity to improve connectivity at low cost. It's just the nirvana fallacy suggesting that if we can't make every trip better we shouldn't try to make *any* trips better.

Just because something exists doesn't mean it's optimal . . .

You seem to fundamentally not understand what is being proposed (a mostly minor amendment to an eventual extension) which is something that uses spare capacity to improve connectivity at low cost. It's just the nirvana fallacy suggesting that if we can't make every trip better we shouldn't try to make *any* trips better.
Where are getting that there is spare capacity for another line to go to Vaughan in addition to line from Sheppard to go to it as well? People keep say that for some reason it's extremely important for someone coming from Sheppard to be able to go north without transfering but they provide no evidence that it's needed or any studies by Metrolinx or the TTC that something like that is needed. Why is it okay for one group of people to be inconvenienced but it's not ok for another?

I believe there is some degree of demand as the TTC used to run a branch of the York University Rocket to Sheppard-Yonge (196B) and in my recollection it was always pretty full from end to end when I would take it. I understand that this is simply anecdotal and that the 196 only operated during rush hours. I invite others to correct me if I am misremembering.

I believe there is some degree of demand as the TTC used to run a branch of the York University Rocket to Sheppard-Yonge (196B) and in my recollection it was always pretty full from end to end when I would take it. I understand that this is simply anecdotal and that the 196 only operated during rush hours. I invite others to correct me if I am misremembering.
They retired that route to remove buses from York university once the subway opened. They now use the busway for a Finch Express bus during rush hour.

Yes, I know, but they would only run one branch if there was insufficient demand between York University and Sheppard-Yonge.
I took it a few times from Sheppard - Younge to Sheppard west and it was usually pretty empty by the time it got to either station. Most of the people using it to or from York university got off at Sheppard west and would head to other buses or to the subway.

Back