News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There is some confusion, including on my part, on what goes on with the Polar Bear Express and what might be with a renewed Northlander. Of course, none of us know what the ONTC/Government has planned for rolling stock, but it could boil down to refurbishing ex-GO bi-levels for long-haul service or refurbishing very ex-GO single levels, which I think ONTC still has a fair stable of. I highly doubt they will be looking for new.

In terms of power, I honestly don't anticipate anything new or particularly innovative; perhaps something off the Used Locomotive Lot, possibly with HEP.

They ran a test train a few months ago. I'm assuming that is what it'll first start with.

They ran a test train a few months ago. I'm assuming that is what it'll first start with.
I don't know, but imagine that is probably a pro forma type step in considering the reintroduction of passenger service on a ROW that hasn't seen it for nearly a decade. They ran it with whatever they had in the stable.

I don't know, but imagine that is probably a pro forma type step in considering the reintroduction of passenger service on a ROW that hasn't seen it for nearly a decade. They ran it with whatever they had in the stable.
Possibly. However, from what I am hearing, most riders would be quite happy with the old equipment running today than waiting for new equipment.

Possibly. However, from what I am hearing, most riders would be quite happy with the old equipment running today than waiting for new equipment.
I am not sure if there is still enough equipment to run two trains and a spare. Some of the Northlander equipment is now used in the polar bear express and they retired the older equipment.
The quick and easy would be to swap out the seats in GO train cars, and refurbish the track so it doesn't away as much.

I am not sure if there is still enough equipment to run two trains and a spare. Some of the Northlander equipment is now used in the polar bear express and they retired the older equipment.
The quick and easy would be to swap out the seats in GO train cars, and refurbish the track so it doesn't away as much.

The old coaches from the former Northlander still exist and are sitting in Cochrane. The quick thing would be to tow them to North Bay, do a quick refresh, and hock up to existing engines. Beesids, the sway from the top level of the GO coaches would be too much, unless they spent all next summer to get the ties replaced.

I think, but can't confirm, that all of the PBX rolling stock has been refurbished to the new dark blue livery. I saw a shot a few days ago (which of course now I can't find) from 2019 or so which showed several units still in the old livery in the Cochrane yard. They did sell a couple of units to the York Durham Heritage Railway, but they also picked up half a dozen or so from BC Rail a number of years ago. Given the relatively small number of units needed for a renewed Northlander, I think they have more than enough on the backtracks. How quickly any could be plugged into the refurbishing shops in North Bay would likely depend on their contract workload.

I don't know how suitable converting bi-levels to long-haul service would be (maybe they would be - I don't know). If nothing else, commuter-style 'all door opening' would have to be modified. It might also depend on what type of consist they are contemplating (snack-diner, baggage, etc.)

I think, but can't confirm, that all of the PBX rolling stock has been refurbished to the new dark blue livery. I saw a shot a few days ago (which of course now I can't find) from 2019 or so which showed several units still in the old livery in the Cochrane yard. They did sell a couple of units to the York Durham Heritage Railway, but they also picked up half a dozen or so from BC Rail a number of years ago. Given the relatively small number of units needed for a renewed Northlander, I think they have more than enough on the backtracks. How quickly any could be plugged into the refurbishing shops in North Bay would likely depend on their contract workload.

I don't know how suitable converting bi-levels to long-haul service would be (maybe they would be - I don't know). If nothing else, commuter-style 'all door opening' would have to be modified. It might also depend on what type of consist they are contemplating (snack-diner, baggage, etc.)
What's wrong with the doors?
Other than the fact that the mechanism to open the doors is different from the other cars. So someone needs to open those manually.
As for a cafe car, the vestibules are the same height as regular cars so people could travel to a cafe or dining car if there was one. Or have a business class in regular coaches and put economy passengers in Bi levels with nicer seats.

What's wrong with the doors?
In commuter service, all (or most) doors open on one side simultaneously because passengers are coming from a what is considered a paid area. In long-haul service, boarding typically takes place at one or two doors, usually attended by a service agent; dwell time isn't as bit an issue. I'm not saying it couldn't be overcome - just one more thing that would have to be addressed, along with things like carry-on/luggage storage, seating, etc. Features such as seating, passenger comfort, etc. will be important, particularly if they go with a late night s/b departure. Nothing like opening a whole whack of doors in the middle of the night in February.

Keep in mind that pre-cancellation service was a three or four (single level) consist.

In commuter service, all (or most) doors open on one side simultaneously because passengers are coming from a what is considered a paid area. In long-haul service, boarding typically takes place at one or two doors, usually attended by a service agent; dwell time isn't as bit an issue. I'm not saying it couldn't be overcome - just one more thing that would have to be addressed, along with things like carry-on/luggage storage, seating, etc. Features such as seating, passenger comfort, etc. will be important, particularly if they go with a late night s/b departure. Nothing like opening a whole whack of doors in the middle of the night in February.

Keep in mind that pre-cancellation service was a three or four (single level) consist.
But they pay CN per axle. So a locomotive with HEP would allow them to avoid paying for an APU.
They can use the EX GO cars they have as long as they are up to the job.

Minister Mulroney announced that Timmins will be the northern terminus of the resurrected Northlander.

When Ontario Northland last had rail service to Timmins, it served a station in the city's downtown core. The station is still standing, but it is now a bus terminal for Northland and Timmins Transit routes.

The current end of track is at Highway 101 near Porcupine, about 15 kilometres to the east. The ROW is intact to just short of Schumacher. Beyond that, the ROW was submerged due to strip mining, and into Timmins proper, the ROW was incorporated into a snowmobile trail.

I suspect that the station will be at the current end of track.

Last edited:
Minister Mulroney announced that Timmins will be the northern terminus of the resurrected Northlander.

When Ontario Northland last had rail service to Timmins, it served a station in the city's downtown core. The station is still standing, but it is now a bus terminal for Northland and Timmins Transit routes.

The current end of track is at Highway 101 near Porcupine, about 15 kilometres to the east. The ROW is intact to just short of Schumacher. Beyond that, the ROW was submerged due to strip mining, and into Timmins proper, the ROW was incorporated into a snowmobile trail.

Does that imply that the PBE will be extended to Timmins?

It will be interesting to see if that is where they mean, or if the end of track is where they mean.

Does that imply that the PBE will be extended to Timmins?

Potentially they could extend it to Timmins, but have the extra freight/car cars be connected in Cochrane for the ride north.

It would be a shame to have no rail in a gap that small, in the grander scale of Ontario.
I agree. Just looking at Google satellite view, in my opinion, it looks like it would be reasonably easy to cross that lake with a causeway/bridge engineered solution. Even rerouting the ROW around the lakeshore should be possible.

How is this taking another step?
I can name a terminus in a couple minutes. Watch.
"We have named Moose Factory – one of the largest municipalities on James Bay and a major employment hub in the region – as the terminus station."
That was easy.

Back