News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Single-occupant motor vehicles are the main cause of traffic congestion. If they occupy the same real estate as a bicycle, maybe they will be acceptable.

picoftheday0012-space-60people.jpg
From link.

So they should remove useful and important transportation corridors for the rare occasion that you drive there ?

I do drive, and the bike lanes shall stay, and they shall build more.

Also arguing that the city shouldn't build infrastructure because you won't use it even though it will greatly benefit others is generally a bad mindset.

🤔

You're right. Come to think of it - the sidewalks should go. And the buildings - damn them - they take up too much space and should go too! Get rid of it all and turn it all over to roads; then my ability to drive will be unconstrained!
I think yin_yang was making a sarcastic comment on how people are in favor of more options ... until they're driving (which is probably true as a general rule).

Last edited:
What I mean is...when I bike ok, but half the year they are useless.

As @ADRM has noted above that is simply too extreme a statement.

It is fair to say that cycling rates decline in the worst of winter. That is true. I think you could even say decline substantially.

But it certainly doesn't go to zero or anywhere close.

The steepest decline also tends to be when snow/slush/ice are big concerns and is less about temperature; as such that tends to be for ~4 months each year in Toronto, from December-March, not '1/2 the year'.

Even if it were plausible to 'repurpose' bike lanes/cycle tracks during that 4 months, its unlikely it would be worth the cost/hassle; and the locations where one might consider such a thing would only be those routes where cycling isn't that high to begin with, and where the yield/benefit to motorists/transit was particularly high.

Downtown Bloor is not such a place.

They should remove the car lanes from Bloor when the weather is nice. When I drive it's OK, but otherwise they are useless!

Well, no, because this fails two basic tests: practicality (the lanes have been made permanent and physical infrastructure has been put in place), and compassion (this would endanger the lives of thousands of people).

What has brought out all the anti-safety trolls this week?

Well, no, because this fails two basic tests: practicality (the lanes have been made permanent and physical infrastructure has been put in place), and compassion (this would endanger the lives of thousands of people).

What has brought out all the anti-safety trolls this week?
(I think the post was a joke about how we should apply the same logic to car lanes that motorists do to bike lanes, and "remove" them when they're poorly used. Unless you are also riffing on the joke, in which case this has gone way too deep and I don't even know what's real anymore.)

(I think the post was a joke about how we should apply the same logic to car lanes that motorists do to bike lanes, and "remove" them when they're poorly used. Unless you are also riffing on the joke, in which case this has gone way too deep and I don't even know what's real anymore.)

Next you'll start questioning whether Santa is real.............Pffft!

I fell twice yesterday :-(
First was going south on Queen's Park circle which actually was plowed but not salted. In fact there a think ribbon of ice in the middle of the lane marking the centre of the plow.
I went to Michael's to buy some thread to repair my pants.
Then later on Adelaide there was a temporary lane due to some construction east of John. When merging back in with the regular lane I slipped on the streetcar tracks.

Lesson learn- give it a fews days after a snow storm.

First was going south on Queen's Park circle which actually was plowed but not salted. In fact there a think ribbon of ice in the middle of the lane marking the centre of the plow.
Then later on Adelaide there was a temporary lane due to some construction east of John. When merging back in with the regular lane I slipped on the streetcar tracks.

That sucks, hopefully no serious injuries/damage?

Pedestrians and cyclists are second class citizens in Toronto. Transit users are third class. Single-occupant automobiles are first class.

The automobiles get their pathway plowed and salted before everyone else. Get a complaint from an automobile user, expect action (IE. potholes on the roadway).

Sidewalk or cycling path blocked? Too bad.

That's my approach, give it a few days until snow is cleared.. Time to switch to Watopia trails, at least until it is save to go back to a real world..

Back