News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Actually, the Star article states "Some time in 2023":

Can‘t we do any transit project on time or on budget? We started construction of Eglinton Crosstown in 2011. Sometime in 2023 is more likely fourth quarter 23 or early 2024. How can it possibly take a dozen years or more to get this done?

I think something seems off as the blog post from Metrolinx says that they don't have a date other than that construction nerds to be completed by September 2022.
Construction completion is not the same as operational acceptance. You know, that thing that Ottawa apparently forgot to due their due diligence on.

That's what's going to take Metrolinx/TTC past September.

Can‘t we do any transit project on time or on budget? We started construction of Eglinton Crosstown in 2011. Sometime in 2023 is more likely fourth quarter 23 or early 2024. How can it possibly take a dozen years or more to get this done?
I feel like the problem is with the way our governments tender out the construction contracts and the timelines provided.

I read earlier in the thread, that the contracts for the stations were only awarded once tunnelling neared completion. That’s not a lot of time to get everything ready to roll.

Also, I feel like the timelines run under the assumption that construction is occurring 24/7, which it doesn’t happen for the most part due to noise regulations.

Ofc there’s also the political aspect as well. If a project is promised to be realistically completed in over 10 years, the public would balk at the length of disruption and the party proposing may not be the one doing the ribbon cutting ceremony on opening day.

I feel like the problem is with the way our governments tender out the construction contracts and the timelines provided.

I read earlier in the thread, that the contracts for the stations were only awarded once tunnelling neared completion. That’s not a lot of time to get everything ready to roll.

Also, I feel like the timelines run under the assumption that construction is occurring 24/7, which it doesn’t happen for the most part due to noise regulations.

Ofc there’s also the political aspect as well. If a project is promised to be realistically completed in over 10 years, the public would balk at the length of disruption and the party proposing may not be the one doing the ribbon cutting ceremony on opening day.
In China, if the workers or NIMBYs complain about anything (IE. noise, expropriation, safety, etc.), they get a long vacation, with free room and board, at a government facility. That's why things there are built fast.

I’m picking Sept 1 2023 because a) it’s enough time to fix whatever discovery issues happen during testing and b) it’s when the biggest service changes generally happen to prepare for schOol and post-vacation

There is a huge volume of research and management theory out there, all speaking to the very high frequency with which megaprojects fail. This paper isn’t necessarily the most expert, but it has a substantial bibliography for anyone looking for holiday reading.

By world standards, based on progress to date I would rate this project as a B+ - and a general success. The overspend and time delays are only modest (it would be unrealistic to expect them to be zero), there were no technical showstoppers, no significant cases of rework or failure of the design or built product. And no workforce or public fatalities.Of course, we haven’t seen the end result yet.

Certainly, there are areas that were deficient, but it looks like we will end up with a working transit line eventually. And the rapid progress on other subsequent projects (Finch is a good example) is encouraging, which makes one think that lessons have been learned and we are getting better at designing and building them…. especially surface LRT.

- Paul

In China, if the workers or NIMBYs complain about anything (IE. noise, expropriation, safety, etc.), they get a long vacation, with free room and board, at a government facility. That's why things there are built fast.
Honestly I think it's really just cts trying to milk the govt with every excuse possible. You don't see the condo industry slowing down last year... in fact they are at an all time high. Obviously the first few months were a hit due to the uncertainty but once they adjusted everything just got back to normal. The only thing that changed really were material prices and some shortages, but considering the size of cts, and that they had been working/procuring materials for years prior, they ought to be experienced enough to deal with this and not just sit on their hands and make excuses. Ok fine ask for some extras relating to covid ppe and stuff but to say our project is delayed by months and months, even though there's plenty of concurrent work they can do, I don't buy

Back