News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

When the initial right-of-way for the Queen Elizabeth Way was built, they used Middle Road. In other words, they used an existing roadway as the route for the QEW.

330px-Old_Middle_Road.png
Middle Road in 1917.

330px-Middle_Road.jpg
Middle Road in 1937

330px-Middle_Road_-_Highway_10_cloverleaf.jpg
The cloverleaf interchange at Middle Road and Highway 10 was the first controlled access interchange in Canada.

See link.

Last edited:

Any bets when the next phase starts? I believe this means that there is currently no active construction on Highway 69.

I went up to Sudbury today, and damn it was sweet to see it open. There are a few finishing touches - there are still some signs facing the wrong way - but it saves a few minutes.

I suspect the next phase will be south from Pickerel River to Key River, but there are no new signs of that starting up: just the unused rail bed and bridges completed a few years ago.

I went up to Sudbury today, and damn it was sweet to see it open. There are a few finishing touches - there are still some signs facing the wrong way - but it saves a few minutes.

I suspect the next phase will be south from Pickerel River to Key River, but there are no new signs of that starting up: just the unused rail bed and bridges completed a few years ago.
ya but did they twin it?

ya but did they twin it?
ya but did you read the release?

It says:
FRENCH RIVER — Today, the Ontario government opened a 14-kilometre expansion of Highway 69 in the French River area. The newly widened highway from two to four lanes will help improve traffic flow and safety, and support economic growth and prosperity in Northern Ontario.

Last edited:

Nice to hear. I haven't been north of 522 in a while. South of there is in the area of Henvy Inlet #2 and Magnetawan FNTs and those types of land negotiations can be protracted.

Any bets when the next phase starts? I believe this means that there is currently no active construction on Highway 69.

Anyone remember when the 400 extension was supposed to be complete in 2017?
Slooooowly getting there, I sure hope the government manages to sign all the contracts for the rest of the stretch of 69. Do they also plan to renumber the rest of 69 to 400?

Next section of highway 69 widening is slated to begin in 2023-24 from . This is also a good source for whats left: https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/...s-under-2021-ontario-highways-program-3976028

.. also the conservatives by the sounds of it cut off negotiations with the first nations when elected... and honestly seems they have no interest in this even though its a pretty conservative riding that the remaining 2 lanes go through. Also - yes .. it will be renumbered to 400 once completed. They are also suppose to convert 17 to a full freeway from Markstay to the Southeast Bypass at this time (although the southeast bypass freeway-ization plans are quite contentious with Sudbury politicians due to interchange placement) ...

Next section of highway 69 widening is slated to begin in 2023-24 from . This is also a good source for whats left: https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/...s-under-2021-ontario-highways-program-3976028

.. also the conservatives by the sounds of it cut off negotiations with the first nations when elected... and honestly seems they have no interest in this even though its a pretty conservative riding that the remaining 2 lanes go through. Also - yes .. it will be renumbered to 400 once completed. They are also suppose to convert 17 to a full freeway from Markstay to the Southeast Bypass at this time (although the southeast bypass freeway-ization plans are quite contentious with Sudbury politicians due to interchange placement) ...
I would be surprised if the 69 project doesn't finish by 2030 or so. It feels like something MTO has been working towards for a while, and progress has been made.

I would also be surprised if Markstay - Nickel Center is approved - I've never heard about it before, it's not on any MTO plans, and that section is low volume (under 8,000 AADT, though I guess 69 is also under 8,000). Might see the SE and SW Bypass built though.

*To be clear, I'm not taking any position on these highway projects. I'm merely posting my opinion on timelines.

I would be surprised if the 69 project doesn't finish by 2030 or so. It feels like something MTO has been working towards for a while, and progress has been made.

I would also be surprised if Markstay - Nickel Center is approved - I've never heard about it before, it's not on any MTO plans, and that section is low volume (under 8,000 AADT, though I guess 69 is also under 8,000). Might see the SE and SW Bypass built though.

*To be clear, I'm not taking any position on these highway projects. I'm merely posting my opinion on timelines.
Twining all of 69 is a must in my opinion, as it's most direct route from Toronto to western Canada.

Twining all of 69 is a must in my opinion, as it's most direct route from Toronto to western Canada.
The difference is between the 11 and 17 routes is actually only about 40km. "Direct" is a relative term. Although 11 is the slightly longer route, in winter, the weather conditions can be less ornery and it is flatter in fuel usage terms.

.. also Highway 11 is also a lot more straighter then 17 - and tends to see way more truck traffic. The entire length should be 2+1 .. with bypasses around some towns (ie Cochrane).

Back