IMO, the colonnade should be retained as part of any redevelopment plans for this site. It's a unique feature in Toronto, to which we virtually have no other example of in this city.

As for the rest of the building, sure get rid of it we're not missing out on much with it. I would like to see a hotel replacement here though, the city was lacking hotel space pre-pandemic and this hotel was located in a very convenient area.

Isn't this building only a few decades old? Pretty sure the colonnade is just precast concrete with a stucco soffit. I wouldn't mind if it went.

IMO, the colonnade should be retained as part of any redevelopment plans for this site. It's a unique feature in Toronto, to which we virtually have no other example of in this city.

We definitely have other colonnades in the City, but off hand, I don't think any are in the Haussmann neo-classical style, which is how I'm inclined to describe this.

Isn't this building only a few decades old?

Yes. I recall watching it go up.......I can't seem to get a lock on the date, but that certainly asserts that it is no older than the '80s at most.

Pretty sure the colonnade is just precast concrete with a stucco soffit.

I haven't looked in person yet, but I'm inclined to agree

I wouldn't mind if it went.

I understand why others may be sympathetic towards it; both as something relatively novel in Toronto, and also something that creates a certain sense of grandeur.

It would certainly be improved by being solid stone............though don't ask me to foot the bill for that! LOL

But......while I don't consider the thought of losing it tragic............I certainly think there ought to be some pressure on the builder to do as good or better in terms of how the architectural expression pleases people at street level.

I wondered what Novotel would do with this after shelter use (city money) went. They can't use it as a hotel again, not without major reconstruction. It's kind of sad, it was an elegant and understated presence in the neighbourhood. Another thing we can blame covid for. ugh.

I wondered what Novotel would do with this after shelter use (city money) went. They can't use it as a hotel again, not without major reconstruction. It's kind of sad, it was an elegant and understated presence in the neighbourhood. Another thing we can blame covid for. ugh.

No, you can't.

The contract w/the City includes full restoration of the premises.

The decision to redevelop is Toronto real estate economics, not Covid.

It's certainly true that discontinuing the hotel, as a hotel likely accelerated this process, but not by much. When a 25-storey, fully-occupied rental property at 25 St. Mary is coming down..........because the value is there to induce it........

You have to know that 8 storeys replaced by 36 is too good to pass up in business terms.

No, you can't.

The contract w/the City includes full restoration of the premises.

The decision to redevelop is Toronto real estate economics, not Covid.

It's certainly true that discontinuing the hotel, as a hotel likely accelerated this process, but not by much. When a 25-storey, fully-occupied rental property at 25 St. Mary is coming down..........because the value is there to induce it........

You have to know that 8 storeys replaced by 36 is too good to pass up in business terms.
What they could do is just donate the site to the city in exchange for another unused city site, but that might take too much creativity. Think of the tax credits! Think of the opportunity! It's sad. Just tear it down like an old Woolworths. Sad.

What they could do is just donate the site to the city in exchange for another unused city site, but that might take too much creativity. Think of the tax credits! Think of the opportunity! It's sad. Just tear it down like an old Woolworths. Sad.

Important not to conflate things........... a land swap is not a donation.

That said, sure, that could be done, but to whose advantage?

The City would have to swap a site of comparable value, there's not much obvious upside there.

You might note the possibility of donation credit for the difference in any land value...........but that's not a dollar for dollar reimbursement.

I find it challenging to make that idea work in my head.

The Novotel site is not the most efficient way to house the homeless; and serves no other obvious purpose from the City's perspective.

I'm not being argumentative, by the way, nor de-valuing the building. Just saying I find it challenging to visualize a transaction justified by overt self-interest of either party.

All the St Lawrence residents complaining about the shelter will be thrilled, I'm sure
Many are more so worried about the fact that the shelter will now stay open for years to come. Why renovate and reopen the existing hotel when it will be torn down in 4ish years? I bet the owners will be pushing to extend the contract with the city.

And in my opinion, this is a very good thing for those in need.

Many are more so worried about the fact that the shelter will now stay open for years to come. Why renovate and reopen the existing hotel when it will be torn down in 4ish years? I bet the owners will be pushing to extend the contract with the city.

And in my opinion, this is a very good thing for those in need.
But as Northern light mentioned above, the contract with the city already includes full restoration. So it wouldn't really impact them if they wanted to do it.

City planning likely won't support a colonnade here so I think we can expect that to go. Womp womp.

City planning likely won't support a colonnade here so I think we can expect that to go. Womp womp.

Why would you say that?

They've supported them elsewhere?

In general the City supports weather protection for pedestrians.

That's not to say that that is what we'll get here; but I'm not thinking that its out of the question either.

Why would you say that?

They've supported them elsewhere?

In general the City supports weather protection for pedestrians.

That's not to say that that is what we'll get here; but I'm not thinking that its out of the question either.

The materials should be posted soon but this is a project we are managing. The colonnade has been retained but modified to be more open (no columns). It will provide a curved podium transition from setback condition offered by 75 The Esplanade, out to the plane of the enclosed colonnade design of 25 The Esplanade providing covered protection along much of this stretch of sidewalk. It's a novel concept and one we will improve throughout the application process.

The materials should be posted soon but this is a project we are managing. The colonnade has been retained but modified to be more open (no columns). It will provide a curved podium transition from setback condition offered by 75 The Esplanade, out to the plane of the enclosed colonnade design of 25 The Esplanade providing covered protection along much of this stretch of sidewalk. It's a novel concept and one we will improve throughout the application process.

Welcome to UT; happy to have you here as a poster!

Great Info. I look forward to reading the details in the submission shortly!

Back