News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

From link.

1643917516166.png

What is it about this transit project that I find just so boring? I guess because its such a simple straightforward project in an area I rarely frequent.

Its just not nearly as interesting as the Crosstown, Ontario Line, Montreal REM etc. Even the Hurontario Line is more interesting to me.

Hm.
Probably because it's the least controversial. There was little opposition to it. Everything appears to be moving smoothly.

Having commuted across the City to Humber College for four years, I'm excited for this project. I think it will deliver a more comfortable and faster ride.

What is it about this transit project that I find just so boring? I guess because its such a simple straightforward project in an area I rarely frequent.

Its just not nearly as interesting as the Crosstown, Ontario Line, Montreal REM etc. Even the Hurontario Line is more interesting to me.

Hm.

It's straightforward (literally a straight line), and little different than St Clair which might be part of it. But I think the time it's taken has added to the tedium. Still interesting, but interest tends to wane when it's drawn out over, what has it been like 10yrs since it was supposed to start.

Hm.
I can certainly understand your perspective, there are many times I click through projects here feeling the same way, but having grown up in this area that has remained relatively unchanged for decades it's exciting to see such a transformative project. Hopefully it's a catalyst for things to come.

Probably because it's the least controversial. There was little opposition to it. Everything appears to be moving smoothly.

Having commuted across the City to Humber College for four years, I'm excited for this project. I think it will deliver a more comfortable and faster ride.
Oh there was controversy and opposition to it alright, straight from the former councillor Mammolitti and by Ford himself. Thankfully residents finally decided to get rid of the dope Mammo, and by the time Ford came along it was too late for him to cancel the project as contracts were all signed with a hefty cancellation penalty.

Oh there was controversy and opposition to it alright, straight from the former councillor Mammolitti and by Ford himself. Thankfully residents finally decided to get rid of the dope Mammo, and by the time Ford came along it was too late for him to cancel the project as contracts were all signed with a hefty cancellation penalty.
The controversy was way less involved though. It was like this

Mammo: "WHAAAAAAA"
City/Province: "Shut up"

Compared to the controversies and changes with the Scarborough Subway/LRT/RT/Swanboat plans. its been pretty uneventful.

The fact that this is boring is good. Few setbacks, really basic premise; just replace the bus line with an LRT. The more uneventful this is, the better a precedent this can set for simply turning other successful bus lines across the province into LRTs on that premise alone. This enables things like the Jane LRT to be considered, for instance, along with other future projects. The more our projects can resemble this than, say, Eglinton, the better.

The fact that this is boring is good. Few setbacks, really basic premise; just replace the bus line with an LRT. The more uneventful this is, the better a precedent this can set for simply turning other successful bus lines across the province into LRTs on that premise alone. This enables things like the Jane LRT to be considered, for instance, along with other future projects. The more our projects can resemble this than, say, Eglinton, the better.
I think all our transit projects should be boring. We really shouldn't know they are even happening outside of the official stuff from the government. All the pomp and circumstance is annoying.

This project has just taken waay way too long. And anyone who says the Prov is better or faster at building transit just needs to look at FWLRT. Funded it, promised to build it fast, canceled it behind the City's back, then seemingly used it as an election tool about how they've started it...but continually over many years. Basically a 2yr build has become...12yr? It's very bizarre. For something very similar to the 509, 510, 512. And this just for Phase 1.

I think all our transit projects should be boring. We really shouldn't know they are even happening outside of the official stuff from the government. All the pomp and circumstance is annoying.

From a political standpoint yes, but I also find Finch to be boring because of how simple it is.

I do love seeing the challenges/solutions from a technical perspective for the Ontario Line, or even the Eglinton line.

This project has just taken waay way too long. And anyone who says the Prov is better or faster at building transit just needs to look at FWLRT. Funded it, promised to build it fast, canceled it behind the City's back, then seemingly used it as an election tool about how they've started it...but continually over many years. Basically a 2yr build has become...12yr? It's very bizarre. For something very similar to the 509, 510, 512. And this just for Phase 1.
It took too long to start due to politics, municipal and provincial. Shouldn't take too long from actual start of construction to finish.

Back