News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

One sign things are coming to a finish...

Road Decking Removals at Bayview Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East

From link.

road_decking_removals_-_bayview_and_eglinton_-_march_21_2022.png

Woe to anyone trying to transfer from a northbound 11 bus to an eastbound 34, 51, or 54 bus.

Mt Pleasant's surface/exterior seems least far along of the stations I see. Bayview/Eg (as noted) seems to have made a lot of progress recently.

Mt Pleasant is actually not too bad - the secondary building is basically complete, and they are now just connecting everything inside. They've started installing the steel structure for the main entrance. The hope is that cladding it shouldn't take too long as they are basically just rebuilding the building that was there before, and much of the heavy equipment located inside of it has already been installed.

Yonge, on the other hand, needs far more work. Concrete work is only now reaching the surface on the main portion of the station structure, and the ventilation shafts are the only portions of station that are visible above-ground.

Dan

This what I see:
Mount Dennis still needs some exterior work and with the warm weather should be done by May. Interior is supposed to be complete. Fences along the track will be in place including the elevated section. Not allowing for GO and UPX work.

Keelesdale only needs some trim work, but the exterior and interior done,

Caledonia needs driveway form and pour, flashing for the overhang and some planting and that it for the exterior. Interior should be or almost finish.

Science Center exterior is done except for TTC bus terminal area for landscaping and a loop. Interior is suppose to be done.

Kennedy exterior still needs some work including the new waiting area for GO waiting room and elevators. Interior is suppose to be done by June

Can't speak on the others as I don't fall then nor visit them other than Yonge.

Been a year since I last visit the area and the longest I have shot the area. Yonge is the tipping scale as to when the line opens as no one want the trains to bypassing the station. Expect work will still be going on after the line opens as they still have to build an exit in the Salvation Army building that could be under construction now.

By June, all the surface section will be 100% complete including roads and sidewalks. Final touches to the stations will happen a month or 2 before the open and very little to do now.
Earlier somewhere on UT we heard rumblings that Mount Dennis could open to GO and UPX passengers ahead of the LRT. I wonder if this is still the case. If it is done, may as well start serving the community with a fast connection to Union.

Someone pointing out the obvious yet again - Crosstown might end up being split in half down the road

Ive been saying this for years. The portal at Science Center is going to be a mess going east. (Theres only one light between it and the above grade portion to the tunnelled portion at Leslie, so that probably won't be much of an issue)

Someone pointing out the obvious yet again - Crosstown might end up being split in half down the road
Can we not post BlogTO articles about how some random UofT student posted a tweet about service that like 50 people saw?

While I share this concern, let's actually post official releases about something like this happening, and not BlogTO.

Can we not post BlogTO articles about how some random UofT student posted a tweet about service that like 50 people saw?

While I share this concern, let's actually post official releases about something like this happening, and not BlogTO.
Don't read BlogTO nor rely on its info as it off the track a number of times when it comes to transit. It the click line to gain revenue.

Splitting a line can happen in a number of forms and it will depend mostly on ridership.

Just like line 1 & 2 extension, do these extension need to see the same quality of service when ridership said every 2nd or 3rd train is needed to service the extension? To run the same quality of service requires more equipment, manpower and a higher operating cost.

Having Line 5 spitted may only require to have every 2nd train for the extensions and there needs to be a crossover that the end stations being built today to allow for the split. Can't see any splitting of service for the line being built period.

Another type of spilt can be from X to Y not using the full line of Line 5 being built today and need a crossover to do it.

Talking about spits is way too early when the line isn't open yet and someone trying to create issues when there is no issue in the first place for brownie points.

We now return to real known things, not what may happen fiction.

The issue is caused by changes in the project. There was supposedly significant at grade intersection at both ends with the central tunnel for the busiest part. Now they have changed the entire western, the eastern part becomes the bottleneck.

This is what happens when they take an European concept and Americanize it.

Don't read BlogTO nor rely on its info as it off the track a number of times when it comes to transit. It the click line to gain revenue.

Splitting a line can happen in a number of forms and it will depend mostly on ridership.

Just like line 1 & 2 extension, do these extension need to see the same quality of service when ridership said every 2nd or 3rd train is needed to service the extension? To run the same quality of service requires more equipment, manpower and a higher operating cost.

Having Line 5 spitted may only require to have every 2nd train for the extensions and there needs to be a crossover that the end stations being built today to allow for the split. Can't see any splitting of service for the line being built period.

Another type of spilt can be from X to Y not using the full line of Line 5 being built today and need a crossover to do it.

Talking about spits is way too early when the line isn't open yet and someone trying to create issues when there is no issue in the first place for brownie points.

We now return to real known things, not what may happen fiction.
Why dismiss the entire article? The point about Metrolinx trying to convince Toronto to allow proactive TSP, and Toronto not budging on the status quo was accurate. If BlogTO's readership understands how much their own city's department is working against them, as we already see on Spadina and on St. Clair, all the better.

The 510 is lumbering, kneecapped garbage, but it doesn't need to be. Same goes for a partially at-grade line 5 LRT.

What is preventing them to let through traffic go before left turns? The light at Lake Shore and Windermere is setup like that.
I'm trying to remember, I haven't been in the city much by car since COVID hit, but yes, Lake Shore and Windermere (I think it was Ellis or Humber Station which also use it) use the lagging FPLT, a rarity in Ontario. I'm no traffic engineer (at least yet) but I've always wondered why they are reluctant to use lagging FPLT especially in transit ROW situations.

Again, one of those streets, it's either Humber Station or Windermere uses lead/lag FPLT, that is one side gets a leading fully protected left turn, and at the end of the cycle, the other side gets a lagging fully protected left turn.

Someone explained to me once the concept is based on "driver expectancy", here in Ontario, we always expect a protected turn, whether it's FPLT or PPLT, to be leading, that is to occur before the main signal (generally for going straight) turns green.

Lagging PPLT movements are incredibly rare in the city on a side note, I think Lake Shore/Yonge is the only example I can think of, except in that case, the protected turn doesn't protect against oncoming traffic but against pedestrians.

I could get into a glossary of all these terms, but I thought way back when, the endgame for the Crosstown (maybe not entirely because of the significant grade separated underground portion), Finch West, and all other Transit City routes as being rebranded as 500 series routes. Ever since 2008 when I looked at this, I've always wondered, what exactly makes the 512 St Clair different from the Finch West LRT other than stops being further apart? Remember, the Harbourfront route was once Route 604 and appeared on the full map (not the subway diagram) as a service being on par with the subway/RT.

Every time I ask that question, many people got extremely angry so I didn't bother. That student in the BlogTO echoes the same thoughts I had at his age regarding this and it's something to be considered.

(If someone needs definitions for FPLT, PPLT, and so on, I can give them on another thread)

Ive been saying this for years. The portal at Science Center is going to be a mess going east. (Theres only one light between it and the above grade portion to the tunnelled portion at Leslie, so that probably won't be much of an issue)
My thoughts exactly. Combine that with extensions on both ends and it starts to look like something well short of a tragedy if the service pattern is something like overlapping Mississauga/Renforth/Airport - Science Center and Mount Dennis - UTSC/Malvern.

Last edited:

Back