News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The problem is, LB is already a high enough passenger-count station, and use will grow as more density is added along the Lakeshore eg Lakeview.
So unless ML is telling people not to come, the station needs more appropriate safety margins already..
Rather than redeveloping now - the existing station is not particularly tired, but simply needs a second set of tunnels - I would say don’t spend the money until ready to add a fourth track, when it will be time to tackle the Brown's Line overpass and the bridge over Etobicoke Creek. That’s a much bigger undertaking, but it’s likely well below the life expectancy of what’s already built…. Any money spent between now and then will be a wasted investment.

- Paul
I wouldnt necessarily call it a wasted investment. They need to do infrastructure work at the station due to accessibility requirements (which is why the work is being initiated in the 1st place).

Flooding is also a concern at this station, however im not so sure the improvements will alleviate and fix the issues. It will at least address some of the flooding concerns by enhancing some of the infrastructure.

Regarding the Brown's Line overpass, I dont think anything will be done until either: a) the bridge needs to be rehabilitated or b) Electrification construction becomes imminent.

I took a lot of comfort from a "shareholder’s tour" from Downsview Park to Milliken and back today.
Sidetrack for a question here. What exactly entails someone to be a shareholder stakeholder? And how?

Last edited:
Sidetrack for a question here. What exactly entails someone to be a shareholder? And how?

I feel confident he meant stakeholder.

Stakeholder can mean area resident or business owner (someone with a vested interest in project, ie. they stand to gain/lose because of it) but it can also include
representatives of any number of other groups, such as a local environment group, a friends of group for a park adjacent to a project, a representative of a local BIA or resident's association etc.

Last edited:
I feel confident he meant stakeholder.

Stakeholder can mean area resident or business owner (someone with a vested interest in project, ie. they stand to gain/lose because of it) but it can also include
representatives of any number of other groups, such as a local environment group, a group friends of group for a park adjacent to a project, a representative of a local BIA or resident's association etc.
Stakeholder. Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction and explanation.

One factor is how many trains GO is willing to run on Stouffville without the planned grade separations which haven't even started construction yet. They might be dragging their feet on double tracking and 2nd platforms if they won't run more than 2 trains per direction per hour. They could probably get that up and running pretty soon with another passing section north of Kennedy like they have south of Unionville. I worry that they're not even willing to run 2 trains pdph without the new grade separations.

What does matter for right now is getting at least one platform fully open, especially with the trains as full as they are right now. The platform restrictions are really hurting. That is where I'm getting the most frustrated in watching the incredibly slow pace of construction work.
I think the grade separations are on ice with the on corridor contract so close to being done (as with Scarborough junction), frankly many of them aren't really needed (Finch is happening as part of the station), one of the benefits of regional rail over the REM or whatever is being able to have some *safe* crossings here and there, the ones that have better gates and fencing are already not half bad. Electric trains aren't slow 150 car freights and crossings are less a big deal, the train is usually through in 20 seconds with gates down maybe a minute? Thats fine even at pretty high frequencies.

I think the grade separations are on ice with the on corridor contract so close to being done (as with Scarborough junction), frankly many of them aren't really needed (Finch is happening as part of the station), one of the benefits of regional rail over the REM or whatever is being able to have some *safe* crossings here and there, the ones that have better gates and fencing are already not half bad. Electric trains aren't slow 150 car freights and crossings are less a big deal, the train is usually through in 20 seconds with gates down maybe a minute? Thats fine even at pretty high frequencies.

There is no such thing as a “safe” level crossing….. well, maybe on the OBRY these days, but wherever train frequency is high, as it will be with RER, total grade separation is the proper goal, for both drivers and pedestrians. The limiting factor is simply how much money we can afford to spend at any point in time. As a matter of long term infrastructure planning, we should grade separate it all.

I’m very suspicious that the deferral of Scarborough Jct was not well thought out. It would be a multi year project that would constrain operations at a time when ML is almost ready to initiate 2WAD, and it’s big ticket item to boot. So much temptation for ML to say “hey, let’s not bother” when in a few years it may be badly needed…. I can’t see that junction performing well as a “flat” junction once train frequency rises.

Re Oncorr - clearly the trend has been for ML to do basic civil works itself. My suspicion is that Oncorr bidders don’t want to do this work because it takes them into controversial areas and potential delay/cost risks… a good example being the design for Small’s Creek. Vendors will not want to ride point on anything where there is public interface or contoversy - why should they? let ML and the pols answer to the public - and they will price anything that looks iffy much higher as they have less control over outcomes. Plus, it keeps them out of work that might cause them to add skills or workforce beyond their core focus. Once the roadbed is built (which is the source of controversy, and something that lots of local construction contractors do well) the Oncorr folks can focus on tracklaying, signalling, etc…. their core specialties. ML may have originally wanted to bundle it all, but found this division of roles cheaper and more expeditious overall.

- Paul

Last edited:

Fire Metrolinx's PR agent. Now. I am sick of this "X minutes or better" what a terrible way to entice people. Could you imagine any other professional PR firm doing this? "Our Lamborghini goes 20kmh or better!"

All I hear people repeat is that GO-RER will offer transit every 15 minutes. When the reality is that during peak service you will have stations with trains as often as every 5 minutes. But thats not what people remember. All they hear is the number 15 and parrot that.

NO, you tell people the best service level that will be offered. "Trains up to every 5 minutes"

Metrolinx can't seem to get their frequency story right.

"Metrolinx will be able to offer two-way, all-day service on the Stouffville Line every 10 minutes or better up to Unionville GO"
further down the post...
"Located in York Region, Unionville GO Station will offer customers in Markham more frequent train service every 15 minutes or better to Union Station and back."

And the old GO Expansion page:
"with trains every 15 minutes or better"

I don't think they ever said 10 min or better before. This is something new. At first I thought it was an error, but that tweet is now the second time 10 min has been referenced.

Regarding the Stouffville Grade Separations, not sure if this update has been posted here.

On November 8, 2016, City Council considered EX19.122, and requested that Metrolinx assess the requirements for additional grade separations at Passmore Avenue, McNicoll Avenue, Huntingwood Drive, Progress Avenue and Havendale Road to recognize the increased frequency of rail movement through at-grade crossings under the GOE Program, and respond with a solution to minimize traffic conflicts in Toronto.

So it's the City that asked for more grade separations. Havendale will be closed and a pedestrian bridge is proposed.

It's correct that these grade separation projects are part of the OnCorr contract, but Metrolinx has prepared the EA's and TPAP's in anticipation.

There are also plans for Kennedy Rd and Denison St in Markham.

ML seems serious about making the Stouffville Line fully grade separated to Unionville. It's hard to imagine running frequencies of even every 15 min with boom gates going up and down, so I'm pretty sure they're all going to happen, but given how long it's taking Steeles, we can get an idea of when this is all going to be done.

Regarding the Stouffville Grade Separations, not sure if this update has been posted here.

So it's the City that asked for more grade separations. Havendale will be closed and a pedestrian bridge is proposed.

It's correct that these grade separation projects are part of the OnCorr contract, but Metrolinx has prepared the EA's and TPAP's in anticipation.

There are also plans for Kennedy Rd and Denison St in Markham.

ML seems serious about making the Stouffville Line fully grade separated to Unionville. It's hard to imagine running frequencies of even every 15 min with boom gates going up and down, so I'm pretty sure they're all going to happen, but given how long it's taking Steeles, we can get an idea of when this is all going to be done.
IIRC Metrolinx is actually planning sub-10 minute frequencies on the Stouffville line, which triggered the need for it to be fully grade separated. There are lots of at-grade intersections planned to still remain along other parts of the 15-minute network, particularly on the Barrie Line.

Yes, isn't Stouffville planned for 7.5 minute peak frequencies between Union and Unionville? I believe that was in one of the RER business case docs.

Back