The Toronto-specific irony here being that the 'reimagining' was designed and supervised first by Petroff, an architect best known for their car dealerships, among other general suburban garbage, then WZMH (after acquiring Petroff), a firm who while batting high 40 years ago is a hollow shadow of its former self.

"Parkin? Who's that?" indeed...

It's great to read you again @adma. Please don't go so long between posts again - it's a different place here without you.

The Toronto-specific irony here being that the 'reimagining' was designed and supervised first by Petroff, an architect best known for their car dealerships, among other general suburban garbage, then WZMH (after acquiring Petroff), a firm who while batting high 40 years ago is a hollow shadow of its former self.
Er...did this person design gas stations as well? >.<

Hopefully, in 2-3 decades the destruction of this building can be reversed and it restored to its former glory. This was a handsome building before they got their grubby paws on it.
As long as Cadillac Fairview owns it, the appearance will only get worse over time. There's not one renovation that they touch that actually improves the appearance of things.

Reactions: DSC

"Parkin? Who's that?" indeed...
I thought it was Pellow, not Petroff--and Pellow, ironically, was a firm w/Parkin lineage.

But I agree about how "commercial practice" these days can skew approaches to design--like, in this case, a likely notion that modern office towers are like commercial retail in that they have to be "refreshed" regularly lest they become "dated" (a similar guiding principle behind the obliteration of a lot of the original 70s Zeidler-tech aesthetic in the Eaton Centre across the way).

As long as Cadillac Fairview owns it, the appearance will only get worse over time. There's not one renovation that they touch that actually improves the appearance of things.
To be fair to them, they did do a great job with the renovations of the Rideau Centre in Ottawa, particularly the oval atrium that leads to the Simons department store . But yes their track record in Toronto is not good.

I thought it was Pellow, not Petroff--and Pellow, ironically, was a firm w/Parkin lineage.

But I agree about how "commercial practice" these days can skew approaches to design--like, in this case, a likely notion that modern office towers are like commercial retail in that they have to be "refreshed" regularly lest they become "dated" (a similar guiding principle behind the obliteration of a lot of the original 70s Zeidler-tech aesthetic in the Eaton Centre across the way).
It was Pellow.

To be fair to them, they did do a great job with the renovations of the Rideau Centre in Ottawa, particularly the oval atrium that leads to the Simons department store . But yes their track record in Toronto is not good.
This seriously concerns me for the fate of East Harbour.

Right you are, Pellow. My bad.

Jun 4, 2022

5859C2BA-5AB7-4ADF-882F-2DF6924F0D90.jpeg

98682D31-9DD2-4498-90AC-052930B2230F.jpeg

C38FFA5E-B821-4816-8466-968A739790F8_1_201_a.jpeg

59B0F03A-023E-46BC-8247-F2B4FA39F8EF_1_201_a.jpeg

Back