My thoughts too. It’s a trade off, and Overall in the long run it’s a win, as eventually these new units will age and will become medium to lower priced units. It’s too bad the small apartment buildings couldn’t have been magically moved to some empty parking lots.

A buddy of mine used to live in that apartment building and trust me when I say it wasn't anything worth keeping around.

That being said, it's always unfortunate to lose cheap rentals, but as the saying goes, you can't build old apartment buildings. Although it's obviously preferable to build on a parking lot, at the end of the day the more units are built today, the more affordable housing we have in 30+ years.

The Garfield was 12 suites
Winston Manor was 16 suites I think

In an ideal world, someone would rehab and steward these older buildings, ensuring affordable rentals that still add to the fabric within their community. In reality, is any investor or company actually doing this on any scale within Calgary?

For the most parts, I think these buildings either stay with a mom-and-pop investors and run down over time. Or they get sold to a Mainstreet/Avenue, who bump up rents by doing a lipstick renovation and relaxing tenant quality. And then the buildings run down over time. And within the 1910s-1960s vintage, Mainstreet seems a lot more active than Avenue, which is a shame in my opinion. Avenue seems to take a bit more care.

Walked by. Workers still on site and continue gutting the buildings. I'd assume they'll be demoing them very soon.

Hey, can we clean up the threads a bit for this block? We have 4 showing on the map. It's a tad confusing.

What information is available on the tower planned for the former Sony Store site?

They're taking the old apartment building on the east side of this development on 15ave apart brick by brick. Is it a heritage façade or something? doesn't look like anything worth saving. If not, then someone wants the bricks I guess.
Maybe something to do with the asbestos in the building. Might be trying to minimize the amount of asbestos dust if there is vermiculite insulation or something

That would be inside the building and the entire building would be covered for containment and everyone working on it would be wearing a hazmat suit.This is a methodical removal of the bricks one by one. Reusing bricks isn't unique, the Livery Shop used bricks from a demolished building in NYC.

869742C0-AAA3-4FD8-9AF5-2D4C283EB6EE.jpeg
52882C85-5C4B-486F-B78C-6B4003D05C0B.jpeg
53A9A9C3-53FE-4B5E-B4FB-D0DA28115A57.jpeg

A buddy of mine used to live in that apartment building and trust me when I say it wasn't anything worth keeping around.

That being said, it's always unfortunate to lose cheap rentals, but as the saying goes, you can't build old apartment buildings. Although it's obviously preferable to build on a parking lot, at the end of the day the more units are built today, the more affordable housing we have in 30+ years.
Glad to hear they weren’t in good shape. You always hate to see older cheaper apartments disappear from the market but in this case this is a win.

Back