Something like the Piccadilly Tube Station entrance is beautiful and takes up much less space that the building proposed.
Unfortunately, as @EastYorkTTCFan points out, it's not accessible to anyone in a wheelchair due to the lack of elevators. Given Mx seems to be moving towards double elevators for main entrances (and access to platforms) in many of their recent plans and renderings (including the rendering of the relevant Osgoode Station entrance), that's likely a big reason for the size of the proposed pavilion building. While there is one current accessible entrance to Osgoode, it does only have a single elevator, so anyone who is disabled is out of luck when it breaks down. Also very likely these elevators will access both the Line 1 and Ontario Line concourses, as opposed to the current one which would need major work to be extended down to the Ontario Line. So unfortunately, aesthetics aside, the entrance needs to be a pavilion building. It's just a matter of where to place it.

Unfortunately, as @EastYorkTTCFan points out, it's not accessible to anyone in a wheelchair due to the lack of elevators. Given Mx seems to be moving towards double elevators for main entrances (and access to platforms) in many of their recent plans and renderings (including the rendering of the relevant Osgoode Station entrance), that's likely a big reason for the size of the proposed pavilion building. While there is one current accessible entrance to Osgoode, it does only have a single elevator, so anyone who is disabled is out of luck when it breaks down. Also very likely these elevators will access both the Line 1 and Ontario Line concourses, as opposed to the current one which would need major work to be extended down to the Ontario Line. So unfortunately, aesthetics aside, the entrance needs to be a pavilion building. It's just a matter of where to place it.
I think another reason we have abandoned that design is they can be a liability in the winter when the stairs are covered in snow and slush. You could mitigate that by either putting a cover over top or enclosing them, however we haven't done that with the ones we currently have even though we should imo.

Considering the overwhelming Ford victory in the election I'd say that's a safe bet.
On the other hand, the Tories didn't win a single one of the 7 ridings that are within 2 blocks of an Ontario Line station. Unlike the other 5 big transit projects that Metrolinx have going in Toronto (assuming that Yonge-North is going, and not including GO).

Guess we don't have to worry anymore about this line being cancelled. :p
Now we can focus conversations on this forum about the Ontario Line itself and not about how it may be canceled or altered. This is the final plan and the plan is even more solidified by this elections. Construction will be well underway on the North Section as well by the time 2026 elections come around. Now the question is when will Ford announce a Northern and Western Extension? My bet is before the 2026 elections.

My take is no new transit projects this term, just a focus on highways. The 905 handed Ford his win, not Toronto.

Bradford, sadly, probably goes ahead..........413 is still held up by the Federal EA at least into next year.

I think there are at least 3 suburban transit projects that would work for Ford politically, the Hurontario LRT to DT Brampton, Full-Day Milton GO and the K-W LRT to Cambridge.

By contrast, I'm not sure there's an electoral upside for Ford on the 413. I certainly hope that's the way he sees it.

Bradford, sadly, probably goes ahead..........413 is still held up by the Federal EA at least into next year.

I think there are at least 3 suburban transit projects that would work for Ford politically, the Hurontario LRT to DT Brampton, Full-Day Milton GO and the K-W LRT to Cambridge.

By contrast, I'm not sure there's an electoral upside for Ford on the 413. I certainly hope that's the way he sees it.
As far as new transit projects I personally hope for a line 2 extension to at least Sherway gardens. It could be a pretty inexpensive extension and a lot of people have wanted it for a long time. Etobicoke did also vote for him but as many times before I am sure this low hanging fruit will be ignored 😓

Reactions: JBR
I think talking about highways would make me upset - and it’s too early for me to get upset; plenty of the day left to go :)

I agree that there will be some suburban transit projects given the go-ahead, but I’m not sure which ones. As for Toronto and the Ontario Line, I’m really dubious we will see anything on either front beyond a Pearson extension for the Eglinton West.

My take is no new transit projects this term, just a focus on highways. The 905 handed Ford his win, not Toronto.
That's a very binary take especially when we consider that suburbanites are generally pro transit - YNSE and GO RER exist for a reason. We also have to consider the 2051 proposal, and all of the new transit that was outlined in that report. Whilst some ideas like the Ontario Loop are far fetched, it does give us a glimpse on the mindset of the government: A new rapid transit route alongside the 407 as a successor to the 407 Transitway, either the transitway itself or some sort of REM, the Sheppard Subway of course, and Ontario Line North is definitely a possibility.

That's a very binary take especially when we consider that suburbanites are generally pro transit - YNSE and GO RER exist for a reason.
My take was on Toronto transit projects, but I can see how this wasn’t explicitly clear.

None of what you have responded with is particularly convincing in terms of upcoming projects in this term (2051 is very, very far away). What’s more, I’d wager that we won’t have an OL North extension this term either.

I still stand by what I said, and I’d be the first to be happy to be proven wrong.

Back