Does Queen even need to be underpinned? I would assume that was done when the station was built to accommodate the streetcar platform.
Those tiny platforms are nowhere near enough to accommodate what would be needed for the Ontario Line, and its highly likely that any expansion of those platforms would either A) Conflict with Path or some nearby buildings, or B) Require underpinning anyway.

Don't forget the extension into Etobicoke:

Eglinton Wester than West
Eglinton Westest 3: Revelations
Eglinton West X-Treme
Rise of the West of the Eglinton
Eglinton Hyperwest
Martin Grove
Eglinton Westestest
In future, if this line branches off and continues west to Mississauga from Renforth, then I would like to propose these names:

This is not Toronto anymore Eglinton
Yet another Eglinton
Are we still on Eglinton
Will this street ever end Eglinton

You mean "Will This Street Ever Endlington?"
Spotted in another thread. There may be more Eglinton's in our future.

1653921477694.png

"Bellamy" is at Eglinton GO. (Celeste is at Guildwood GO).

Earlier on Tuesday, the city’s planning and housing committee declined to approve a routine zoning change to facilitate construction of the station after hearing from residents and city staff who expressed concerns about the plan’s negative impact on the landmark property, green space and urban tree cover. The Law Society of Ontario, which co-owns Osgoode Hall with the Ontario government, was among those objecting.

The committee voted to ask staff to go back to Metrolinx and discuss potential alternative designs, including a proposal to remove northbound traffic lanes on University to create a pedestrian plaza west of Osgoode Hall where the station entrance could be built.
If the city wants MX to shutdown northbound traffic permanently....then sure? I dont have an issue with that.

apperently AMA says:
But Metrolinx showed no signs of changing plans Tuesday. In a statement, agency spokesperson Anne Marie Aikins said the northeast corner of University and Queen is the best site for the station entrance because it would allow for direct transfers with streetcar service, have better pedestrian flows, and avoid conflicts with other buildings and infrastructure in the area.

If the city wants MX to shutdown northbound traffic permanently....then sure? I dont have an issue with that.

apperently AMA says:

Steve Munro has been talking about this for upwards of a year now. Why council just woke up to this now is beyond me.

Steve Munro has been talking about this for upwards of a year now. Why council just woke up to this now is beyond me.

It has had plenty of attention in the back channels and with a lot of work by City staff.

When Metrolinx won’t even respond to a direct request to explain themselves - see here - the City is working with both hands tied behind its back.

Table 3-50 of the Draft EA for the project documents 130 Queen Street as not only Designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, but a National Historic Site, and a heritage property having Provincial Significance…. but when ML has access to MZO’s, apparently Council is seen as irrelevant.

- Paul

apperently AMA says:

This is the alternative to the Mx proposal being put forward by local groups:

1654085770631.png

The cycle tracks are not shown in this drawing, but I imagine are still meant to be there, so this looks like the removal 1 lane each way plus the median from just north of Queen to Richmond.

Well, that's one practical way to address the City's (lack of) maintenance on the fountain in the median at Queen! LOL

In all seriousness, this is much better than the status quo proposal, providing both for the preservation of heritage and tree canopy, while also enhancing the public realm, and indeed this could be a de facto partial implementation of the University Park proposal.

Though, I'd still rather we used the building on the south-west corner to house a new entrance as part of the plan, but Mx seems opposed.

@AlexBozikovic has similar thoughts on twitter:

View attachment 404059

The cycle tracks are not shown in this drawing, but I imagine are still meant to be there, so this looks like the removal 1 lane each way plus the median from just north of Queen to Richmond.

Well, that's one practical way to address the City's (lack of) maintenance on the fountain in the median at Queen! LOL

In all seriousness, this is much better than the status quo proposal, providing both for the preservation of heritage and tree canopy, while also enhancing the public realm, and indeed this could be a de facto partial implementation of the University Park proposal.

Though, I'd still rather we used the building on the south-west corner to house a new entrance as part of the plan, but Mx seems opposed.

This would be so much better. Munro was advocating for this but if I remember correctly the city hadn't got it's act together in terms of getting the guts to remove car lanes and redo University. With us currently having 4 GO lines and 2 Subway lines (both ends of Line 1) available for people to travel from the north to the core of the city, there are plenty of other ways to get downtown rather than drive. The parking situation downtown is being continually reduced anyway.

View attachment 404059

That's a much better alternative to Metrolinx's plan. Presumably, the South African War Memorial, one of my favourite works of public art in the city, and the fountain would also be moved to the plaza space. It would be easier for people to enjoy them there than in the noisy median surrounded by idling cars or people driving aggressively.

View attachment 404059

that actually wouldn't work, this proposal has the entrance on top of the existing TTC, that's why the entrance is in the current location Metrolinx is proposing

that actually wouldn't work, this proposal has the entrance on top of the existing TTC, that's why the entrance is in the current location Metrolinx is proposing

Steve Munro might beg to differ:

The Osgoode Concourse will be expanded and reconfigured; when looking at where/how the current station box is sited, I see no reason the entrance can't be placed on University Avenue, within a widened sidewalk.

That is not to suggest there aren't challenges. Notably a more westerly siting of an entrance, fully/partially w/in the curb lane of University Avenue would likely be somewhat more disruptive during construction.

But, a good deal of that can be over come if the decision is made to site the entrance substantially w/in the sidewalk, but then extend the sidewalk only to the west of the entrance; though this would probably mean pushing it a bit further north.

Its less a discussion of what's possible, than vision and yes, cost; along w/perhaps some additional construction hassle.

What I don't understand is why the station entrance needs a building to begin with. Is there something wrong with just having a set of stairs like the existing Line 1 entrance on that corner? They could even combine them into one entrance with a fork underground.

edit:

Something like the Piccadilly Tube Station entrance is beautiful and takes up much less space that the building proposed.

via Alarmy
piccadilly-circus-tube-station-entrance-central-london-england-uk-CRPJN5.jpg

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why the station entrance needs a building to begin with. Is there something wrong with just having a set of stairs like the existing Line 1 entrance on that corner? They could even combine them into one entrance with a fork underground.

edit:

Something like the Piccadilly Tube Station entrance is beautiful and takes up much less space that the building proposed.

via Alarmy
View attachment 404215
No Elevators at that entrence.

Back