Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
David Mirvish has enlisted Frank Gehry to design a three-tower condominium and cultural complex on King Street West in Toronto. The project will run between the Royal Alexandra Theatre and the TIFF Bell Lightbox.

Wow this forum started this topic in 2013 and it’s only now moving ahead. I wonder if it’s going to be tons of tiny units again or if they will try for some larger units now.

My partner and I just made a purchase on one of the east facing units last week.

Originally, we were looking to get one on a higher floor south facing (with a lake view), but through our agent, they made it sound like, there is so much exclusivity and high demand in this, that nothing was available. It almost made me feel that you'd have to fight for it for any unit, even with connections. Something as big of a price tag as this, in a facetious way, for every buyer, as if they were spending 10 dollars on a t-shirt.

My agent just informed us, b/c how well received the 1st launch went, that everything was all sold out - developer decided to postpone the 2nd launch in about three months, and by then there will be another price jump.

Price wise, there's definitely a premium that's attached to the name of this project. For junior 1 bedroom, it's north of a 1 million.

My partner and I just made a purchase on one of the east facing units last week.

Originally, we were looking to get one on a higher floor south facing (with a lake view), but through our agent, they made it sound like, there is so much exclusivity and high demand in this, that nothing was available. It almost made me feel that you'd have to fight for it for any unit, even with connections. Something as big of a price tag as this, in a facetious way, for every buyer, as if they were spending 10 dollars on a t-shirt.

My agent just informed us, b/c how well received the 1st launch went, that everything was all sold out - developer decided to postpone the 2nd launch in about three months, and by then there will be another price jump.

Price wise, there's definitely a premium that's attached to the name of this project. For junior 1 bedroom, it's north of a 1 million.

What's the square footage on that 1br? Care to share some details on the plans and pricing out of curiosity?

What's the square footage on that 1br? Care to share some details on the plans and pricing out of curiosity?
Sure. The first launch is called “friends + family”, directing predominantly to agents. Roughly 20 agents were invited to the launch and a dozen units were given to each realtor to sell.

According to the developer, it’s not financially feasible to build this project for anything less than 2,300/sqf. Hence, everything was all sold out during this soft launch bc only a limited units were released, and they made the buyer feel that developer is losing money, if you can get it <$2,300/sqf.

1br is ~450sqf.

If the plans on this website are accurate, this is yet another development where kitchens are purely decorative. Do people even cook at all these days, or do they eat take-out or go out every night? I want my 30-pound KitchenAid Professional 600 mixer sitting permanently on the counter!

If the plans on this website are accurate, this is yet another development where kitchens are purely decorative. Do people even cook at all these days, or do they eat take-out or go out every night? I want my 30-pound KitchenAid Professional 600 mixer sitting permanently on the counter!
I sure don't, those things are ugly and take up way too much space for what they're useful for.

I sure don't, those things are ugly and take up way too much space for what they're useful for.
That's fine if you don't cook, but if you do, functionality trumps appearance. The kitchens in most of those apartments are minuscule and cannot be expanded considering the layouts. You don't even have the space to store your ugly appliances, let alone use them.

That's fine if you don't cook, but if you do, functionality trumps appearance. The kitchens in most of those apartments are minuscule and cannot be expanded considering the layouts. You don't even have the space to store your ugly appliances, let alone use them.
I do cook and have a small kitchen. It's all about being more minimal vs cooking like you live in a house in Markham. You'd be surprised what I can cook up :) You don't need a KitchenAid to make a cake.

Back