News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

^ Had to look that up to get the reference. Interesting. Source.

1666993127480.png

Metrolinx is a big player in the giant billboard game. It's a revenue thing for them.

Personally I am opposed to those big billboards period, and the fact that ML is in this game is just another gripe I have over how they run their business.

- Paul
I don't know about you, but I'm waiting for the Durham College billboard advertising its great location near... Whitby Go.

I always leave it to others who live and work in the area to know more what going on than me, but we will disagree on this.

As some who has live in Oakville and spent a lot of time watching the condos been built, the bridge over the creek, the 3rd track, redevelopment of Oakville Station, there is a lot more foot traffic using Kerr than you think. Oakville Transit use it to get to/from the garage with a lot of local traffic for business. I have also shop in that plaza

A few $100,000's is not going to speed up or get the project back on schedule consider when it was first proposed to happen. The Town has drag its feet on this crossing with hopes someone else will pickup the cost causing the cost of building only to increase. ML is inflating cost to recover cost on Oakville dime.

At the end of the day, there is still a cost to shift the tracks to allow the building of the underpass and move them back into place. The only extra cost is for the temporary road which is a drop in the bucket. Doesn't justify why the road should be close 100%.

Because of the underpass, the transmission Gas Line in the corridor had to be move and upgraded to deal with it than leaving it as is until it had to be upgraded with the overpass. Extra cost to the owner of the line.

When were the condos towers built as well the Sheppard intersection been rebuilt to deal with the overpass? Add another 5 plus years onto that time to get to a date when it was known when the overpass was to be built.

Oakville is a car city like Mississauga, but more layback on becoming a city or doing things where cars are not the number 1 priority. Oakville has wanted an BRT on Dundas for over 30 years, yet they refused to built density on it to support one.

Another example of ML thinking and doing things with their ass.
I know this is slightly off topic , but perhaps linked. I was killing time at the Oakville GO station this aft and looking north and realized the landscape has changed. The buildings located at the corner of Trafalgar and Cross Avenue are gone, and so far I have not linked that to a development application , others may be able to do so. Bit certainly a site for densification.

And then, the east side of Trafalgar at the corner of the South Service Road, the old Chevy dealer (547 Trafalgar) is gone and the property fenced. I would have liked to have been around when that building came down as I think to the rear, behind the later facade, there was an older, turn of the century, Oakville industrial building. And I do not see a linkage to a development application for this site either? But part of the site was, or is still, GO parking and I hope that’s not the fate for the balance. If it is, add that to the entire package of GO properties on the north side of the Lakeshore line ( the GO / VIA station, parking and bus loops) that would be ripe for some inventive redevelopment. Which could add to the applications to the north of Cross Avenue and along Cornwall, and across the river, along Kerr.

I know this is slightly off topic , but perhaps linked. I was killing time at the Oakville GO station this aft and looking north and realized the landscape has changed. The buildings located at the corner of Trafalgar and Cross Avenue are gone, and so far I have not linked that to a development application , others may be able to do so. Bit certainly a site for densification.

And then, the east side of Trafalgar at the corner of the South Service Road, the old Chevy dealer (547 Trafalgar) is gone and the property fenced. I would have liked to have been around when that building came down as I think to the rear, behind the later facade, there was an older, turn of the century, Oakville industrial building. And I do not see a linkage to a development application for this site either? But part of the site was, or is still, GO parking and I hope that’s not the fate for the balance. If it is, add that to the entire package of GO properties on the north side of the Lakeshore line ( the GO / VIA station, parking and bus loops) that would be ripe for some inventive redevelopment. Which could add to the applications to the north of Cross Avenue and along Cornwall, and across the river, along Kerr.
In other countries train station are a destination with restaurants, shops and a place to live, like a community. Each station has its own vibe.

The Yonge subway has some of that and Sheppard is now finally getting some development 20 years after its built. I noticed that with crosstown there are developments that are springing up as we get closer to the opening.

My point is that we cannot keep using this model of building a station and expect people to drive there and park to take the train to the city. We need to be doing a better job building communities around these stations. Look at Unionville, there is now a plan to create a new downtown within walking distance of the station but 20 years too late.

New stations like Gormley and Bloomington barely have transit connections so you have no choice but to drive there. We need to do a better job integrating them into a community, and planning development when the station is getting built. Not 20 years later. Even North York Centre was the vision of former mayor Mel Lastman who wanted to make North York it's own city with its own downtown, and a lot has changed in 20 years, the redevelopment of this area is finally taking shape as we make it more pedestrian friendly.

Someone asked about this on the Oakville Reddit a while back, and a town employee responded that the plan is to turn that corner into a park to compliment all the buildings that will be going up in that area. That's as much as I know.

Someone asked about this on the Oakville Reddit a while back, and a town employee responded that the plan is to turn that corner into a park to compliment all the buildings that will be going up in that area. That's as much as I know.
Those buildings were demolished to accommodate a realigned Cross Ave. As part of Oakville’s Midtown plan, the street network will be changed massively. I have not seen anything about a park around there in any of the plans.

Question...will Castlefield be getting an underpass under the Barrie Line?
Very long-term, yes. There are no defined plans for it to my knowledge, but GO does have a master plan to get rid of all level crossings on the most frequent parts of the network.

No matter what, it likely not until the City builds a grade separated crossing at Ingram Dr, however.

Dan

Anyone know what happened to the Ingram Road underpass? The City did the EA about a decade ago and has gone silent on it.

Ask and you shall receive; sometimes, If I have spare time, LOL

Currently listed as 'unfunded' but penciled in for 2029-2031

1667224854665.png

Those buildings were demolished to accommodate a realigned Cross Ave. As part of Oakville’s Midtown plan, the street network will be changed massively. I have not seen anything about a park around there in any of the plans.
Oakville Midtown Plan link: https://www.oakville.ca/planoakville/midtown-oakville-growth-area-review.html

Again, those who live in the area should know more than me, but this what I know. The last plan I saw from Metrolinx/Oakville saw the current GO/VIA/Transit Hub relocated ti the east side of Trafalgar to allow the existing lands to be rebuilt for high rise as well around the new GO/VIA Station. There was to be no surface parking lot.
The Oakville Master Plan Map as noted above was in place at the time.

I had issues with the relocation of the station and still do, as you can redevelop the current side for no parking by having a parking structure 100' wide along the station area since Metrolinx doesn't want and development in that area and a dumb one at that,. You can redevelop the area in phases starting with parking, a new Transit Hub, new road system with development along it.

Again, those who live in the area should know more than me, but this what I know. The last plan I saw from Metrolinx/Oakville saw the current GO/VIA/Transit Hub relocated ti the east side of Trafalgar to allow the existing lands to be rebuilt for high rise as well around the new GO/VIA Station. There was to be no surface parking lot.
The Oakville Master Plan Map as noted above was in place at the time.

I had issues with the relocation of the station and still do, as you can redevelop the current side for no parking by having a parking structure 100' wide along the station area since Metrolinx doesn't want and development in that area and a dumb one at that,. You can redevelop the area in phases starting with parking, a new Transit Hub, new road system with development along it.
Drum. I think you are correct if my hazy memory serves me correctly. And it makes no sense. Much better to do something as you are suggesting, where the frontage along the tracks where the station is located remains as an improved transit hub, on the ground level, with Parking above in a structure. You do have the mammoth parking structure to the south of the tracks as well. Overspill single car parking could be relocated east of Trafalgar to that current 'dead' space between the tracks and S. Service Road. There is a pedestrian walkway across Trafalgar. But perhaps is there was a busway down Trafalgar (Connecting with the Dundas BRT) we could deep six some of the single car parking.

Back