The thing is if Metrolinx "operated" the Hamilton LRT there's a 0 percent chance it would actually be them operating it. It would be outsourced to an outside company, but nice try Mr.Loomis.

Not that I would be opposed to it at all, since the HSR is incompetent when it comes to running their transit operations anyways.
Not sure who I trust more to operate it... HSR nor Metrolinx will want to run frequent service. It's a shame the HSR has lost all its operational expertise in the last 70 years when the TTC has managed to keep an edge over everyone. All I know is that whoever operates it must do better than GRT right now; the ION sits at 15-minute frequencies most of the day. The King-Queenston-Main corridor can easily sustain 6-8tph, if not more at peak.

The thing is if Metrolinx "operated" the Hamilton LRT there's a 0 percent chance it would actually be them operating it. It would be outsourced to an outside company, but nice try Mr.Loomis.

Not that I would be opposed to it at all, since the HSR is incompetent when it comes to running their transit operations anyways.
It would absolutely be run by the winning consortium. Staff could still unionize however, like what happened to the privately hired staff for the Ottawa LRT.

Edit: maintenance staff unionized in Ottawa. Source.

Not sure who I trust more to operate it... HSR nor Metrolinx will want to run frequent service. It's a shame the HSR has lost all its operational expertise in the last 70 years when the TTC has managed to keep an edge over everyone. All I know is that whoever operates it must do better than GRT right now; the ION sits at 15-minute frequencies most of the day. The King-Queenston-Main corridor can easily sustain 6-8tph, if not more at peak.

I'm pretty sure ION's frequencies are set by the region, while the line itself is operated by Keolis on behalf of Grand River Transit. It's complicated...

I'm pretty sure ION's frequencies are set by the region, while the line itself is operated by Keolis on behalf of Grand River Transit. It's complicated...
For that reason, maybe keeping it straightforward and letting HSR operate it is the way to go. Metrolinx putting in a third party, with themselves already being an outside player just won't bode well locally. BLAST does indicate the goal is 10-minute frequencies across the network, and I can't see them diverting from it as it's such a basic plan there Isn't much to screw up. I would also place some faith in HSR that if they get familiar with LRT operations, expansion of the rest of BLAST will be more palatable to city residents than if Metrolinx, the 'big bad GTA corporate agency' operates it. Likewise, if HSR screws up, MX can probably just take it over. I can't see it going the other way, though.

Some LRT-related questions came up in the Q and A for the press conference for the Confederation GO Station. I don't have a time-marked link at the moment.

November 2022 Market Update release earlier today. Relevant Hamilton LRT information see below:

Projects in Planning Phase: Transit and Transportation - Hamilton LRT

Basically no timeline whatsoever. At this point doubt any contracts will be signed prior to the next election and if so maybe just at the last minute to get the Hamilton vote tbh.

Source - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...et_Update/Market Update_11212022_FINAL_EN.pdf

Last edited:
November 2022 Market Update release earlier today. Relevant Hamilton LRT information see below:

Projects in Planning Phase: Transit and Transportation - Hamilton LRT

Basically no timeline whatsoever. At this point doubt any contracts will be signed prior to the next election and if so maybe just at the last minute to get the Hamilton vote tbh.

Source - https://www.infrastructureontario.c...et_Update/Market Update_11212022_FINAL_EN.pdf
This is getting ridiculous now.

This is great for people who are too young to remember the Scarborough LRT saga, now they have a new modern day transit screwup saga they can follow.

I mean what's transit planning in Ontario without the every decade "let's build, wait let's cancel, wait let's plan again" saga.

This is great for people who are too young to remember the Scarborough LRT saga, now they have a new modern day transit screwup saga they can follow.

I mean what's transit planning in Ontario without the every decade "let's build, wait let's cancel, wait let's plan again" saga.
If it seriously takes till 2030 I want to see serious improvements made to the plan. Politicians continue to play games with Hamilton, and the city is doing nothing on the transit front to speed it up. If it takes us a decade still, then we best expect a full B & A-Line LRT. I could make a whole Christmas list of how the transit situation here could be fixed beyond just one line.

If it seriously takes till 2030 I want to see serious improvements made to the plan. Politicians continue to play games with Hamilton, and the city is doing nothing on the transit front to speed it up. If it takes us a decade still, then we best expect a full B & A-Line LRT.
The longer construction takes on the line, the greater the likelihood it will be cancelled or scaled back (ie: from McMaster to Queenston Circle again). There's no chance we'd see any improvement to the line.

I could make a whole Christmas list of how the transit situation here could be fixed beyond just one line.
Hopefully with Horwath elected there will be meaningful change to the HSR, because that system has been a laughable joke for decades. Maybe they'll you know, actually finally build that 2nd bus garage they've been talking about since forever.

You mean the one that they finished the EA for in 2020, and got funding for last year?

Dan
Yup that's the one.

That they also have full funding for. The Bus garage is going to happen, and sooner than many think.
I'll believe it once the shovels go in the ground. Excuse my skepticism, i've seen too many clown shows with Hamilton infrastructure projects (in specific the LRT, supposed bus station improvements, and Confederation GO station).

Back