Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
They have been conducting some environmental reviews apparently, so the rumours are legit. Could be a bargaining tactic to get a better deal on the east side.

Simple, build an updated version of Calgary Next on either the Remington lands just north of the new arena spot or the old bus barns in Victoria Park. Looking at maps both sites (specially Remington) could easily fit a new arena and stadium. The Culture and Entertainment district will still get the new arena and also a stadium. It pushes the arena/stadium closer to the CPR tracks and the new green line station. The block where the new arena is supposed to go could be residential/retail.

They have been conducting some environmental reviews apparently, so the rumours are legit. Could be a bargaining tactic to get a better deal on the east side.
That or they really hate the Stampede board, and don't want anything to do with them and have more control (and revenue) over their land.

Or, they don't McMahon in the long term and want a new football/soccer stadium at the same time; or at least the land for it.

Still can't envision West Village being viable. Until someone agrees to clean up the contamination, it will remain a pipedream.

I wonder if the Saddledome gets demolished and there's no new arena nearby If the Stampede will be interested in building a small to medium (5k-10) arena specifically for concerts. Who knows maybe CSEC will also be interested in moving the Hitman and Wranglers into such a facility too.

I still think the CalgaryNEXT location in West Village is a good idea IF they can actually afford to clean up the site. Also I would hope the city doesn't put any money into the project unless they are cleaning up all the contaminated soil around the site too so it doesn't sit empty for the next 50 years.

The cleanup in West Village isn't going to happen any time soon, that will be a huge undertaking. The Saddledome will fall down long before that site is shovel ready. CMLC will also need to come up with a long term plan for West Village and have it approved before we add tens of thousands of people going to and from hockey and football games.

Who's money?
That's the question. CSEC will not pay for remediation even if this was their desired location. The city is already at their upper limit with their share of costs. That leaves the province and good luck with that.
I think we can safely conclude that any revised proposal for West Village would take years to get into the ground and only if the money is there and all the remediation work is completed. There is no more patience with this project. Either it gets going in east Beltline or we are never going to see a new event centre IMO.

bigger fieldhouse: 30,000 instead of 10,000. some saved cost: $100 million in shared infrastructure.

The big problem is how to pay for the domed fieldhouse. the cost is at least double the proposed McMahon fieldhouse.

Back