News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This is very interesting and more then admirable. One should remember that Norways economy and state reserves are backed by and based on a very healthy oil and gas industry, that the goverment has a leading role in. I am not being critical of the efforts seen here, but the fuller picture should be explored.
It seems they have figured that they need the current economy to pay for the next one, rather than just blow it up.

Keele widening south of the 407 has been underway the last few months. Will try to grab pics next time I'm in the area.

Speed limits signs in Mexico use the RED circle around the number. Canada should as well. There are more border crossings between the USA and Mexico, than between the USA and Canada.

Maxima-photo_Drive-safe-in-Mexico.jpg

St-Pierre & Miquelon is a French territory.

In these islands, road signs are the same as in France, even if they are in North America, about 30 kilometres from Newfoundland!

spm01.JPG
From link.

At least there are no roads on the Hans Island shared between Canada and Denmark.

See link.
6ec487eb1f1bab3f0dbbddf058971f33

Last edited:
This is very interesting and more then admirable. One should remember that Norways economy and state reserves are backed by and based on a very healthy oil and gas industry, that the goverment has a leading role in. I am not being critical of the efforts seen here, but the fuller picture should be explored.
The taxes on things like gas cars are criminal too. The government should never make more than the producer of a product when it's sold.

Are you suggesting gas cars are taxed that heavily? Gas cars are taxed no more than other consumer goods (13% HST in Ontario), plus environmental tax for tires.

Are you suggesting gas cars are taxed that heavily? Gas cars are taxed no more than other consumer goods (13% HST in Ontario), plus environmental tax for tires.
I think they mean in Norway, which from what I recall has basically a 100% tax on gas powered vehicles, and which is a large driver for EV adoption in the country as EVs are actually significantly cheaper than gas powered vehicles.

What would that accomplish?

It would basically bring us to the same speed limit standardization as the rest of the 'metric world'. Just about everywhere else uses a speed sign that is a circle with a red outline around the speed limit.

The US and Canada are exceptions using a white rectangle for speed signs.

Basically this

French-Speed-Limits-thumb.jpg

autobahn-rules-by-imanuel-marcus-005.jpg

speed-limit-signs-on-a-french-toll-road-A2P147.jpg
autobahn-speeds-original.jpg
img

Last edited:
But again, for what? Just to say we're doing it? What's the benefit at this point?

Haha, basically it would just be a big FU to the USA if they were surrounded on both sides by true metric speed signs? That's the only thing I can think of, other than just making Canada deviate further away from the US setup and be more like the rest of the world.

Other than that I see no benefit. So long as the speed limit is posted, who cares what it looks like in the end?

(...Nerds, that's who :p)

In daily life, red is commonly used to convey danger or danger-relevant concepts. That's why STOP signs are RED.
yellow_and_red_stop_sign.gif
Yellow old-style stop sign (1924-1954) Vs. Red new-style stop sign (1954-present )

See link.

Using speed limit signs with just the black number on a white rectangle, just looks like an advertisement poster, and tend to be ignored. Having a red circle around the number draws attention to the sign.

Last edited:
MTO updated their highway projects page recently and I only just now discovered it, not sure what they added/removed other than the 413.

Screenshot_20230131_111426_Chrome.jpg

Using speed limit signs with just the black number on a white rectangle, just looks like an advertisement poster, and tend to be ignored. Having a red circle around the number draws attention to the sign.

I don't think people are speeding because the sign is white. But if there is a study to prove otherwise I'm all eyes.

I don't think people are speeding because the sign is white. But if there is a study to prove otherwise I'm all eyes.
People speed because we have an artificially low limit. This means we can drive at whatever speed police feel like enforcing, the bonus is they can also effectively pull anymore over for cause that they'd like to.

Back