News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Let me guess. No platform screen doors for Bloor & Yonge station expansion. If some pushes or falls on the tracks, just collateral damage. Transit, cycling, and pedestrian safety is low priority in this city.

All hail the almighty automobile.

"Platform doors are not worth the money."

-City manager or transit commissioner who never uses transit.

Currently, the SSE which sets the de facto deadline for ATC on Line 2 is scheduled to wrap prior to Bloor-Yonge.
Any transit improvements for the TTC is delayed, delayed, and delayed. The powers-that-be (AKA non-transit users) hoping it will be forgotten.

Any transit improvements for the TTC is delayed, delayed, and delayed. The powers-that-be (AKA non-transit users) hoping it will be forgotten.

Walter, you know we agree on a great deal; but what we can't agree on is your tendency to repeat the same mantra, to the same audience, who mostly agree w/you; and don't need convincing.

Why not instead, make a thoughtful submission in writing to the Commission, cc'd to your City Councillor and perhaps the media and/or relevant advocacy organizations?

We all get irritated at mistakes, or negligence in government that we experience even once, let alone with regularity. Mentioning that in passing from time to time is something we will all do, myself included. But truthfully, the object is not to complain, but to make change. That means making arguments that will appeal to those in power to achieve something better than the status quo.

No tutting people; that persuades no one; rather, noting how an investment might provide improved efficiency and lower costs per rider is something that should appeal across the political spectrum; making an argument that it would be politically popular, in this case (PEDs) both because of safety, and because of service reliability. There's also an argument for reduced legal liability, reduced supervision/security costs and for adopting a best practice already proposed by Mx for the Ontario Line, and adopted by 'x' systems around the world.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I shot a video of Amsterdam new R-NET 110 M5 Alstom Konstal (2012-?) 6 Car Articulated Train Interior that use longitarsal seating with a few single seats for accessibility area without a view screen look since the screen was dead . You will note a few riders have their feet on the poles to stop people walking in front of them. Most Metro/Subway trains in Europe have far more poles than we do as well 3-4 gab bars on those poles.

Is this something riders will like from what we have today??? Not a fan of Europe seating arrangement

New article with lots of renderings and info from @Steve Munro about the project:

New article with lots of renderings and info from @Steve Munro about the project:

Let me bring forward the renders from the TTC's page, which is here: https://www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/pr...cts/Bloor-Yonge-Station-Capacity-Improvements

I'm about to head for bed, LOL, so comments will have to wait til morning......

1678853845816.png

1678853879383.png

1678853907966.png

1678853929604.png

Now Additional Renders from Steve's site, linked in the above post:

1678854033123.png

1678854065207.png

1678854293650.png

There's a few more if you follow the assorted links.

“The drawings show no provision for Platform Edge Doors.”

Isn’t this a bit surprising? I didn’t expect them to build any, but not even putting in provisions? Maybe the issue is that the provisions to be put in place vary wildly by type of PSD, and so instead of locking themselves into a single design they’ll leave it as a problem to solve in the future? (If that’s the case - that’s a fine strategy tbh.)

Am a bit confused by

The west fan plant will be west of Yonge Station and above the Line 2 tunnel. Construction of this plant assumes the redevelopment of the existing building sitting on top of the Bloor Subway.

Isn’t the existing building 2 Bloor West? Surely that’s not being redeveloped.

Sterile AF.

Tell them that; maybe a bit less viscerally, LOL

I'd be careful about just saying 'add colour' you never know what we might get.

But you could suggest any number of changes at this point. The finishes have not actually been ordered at this stage.

As long as what you would like is in the ballpark of the current estimate for finishes, the details can change.

I think there a couple of potential options that retain the current ceiling design, but give those slats some cheerful contrasting colour to the white on the walls.

Another possible option is to mimic the current line one platform with a trim/framing effect of main tile/finish at both the top and the bottom; though to do that well would require different panels from what they are envisioning.

One other suggestion here, maybe involve the BIA; if they see any added advantage in the station reflecting 'mink mile' aesthetic they can both apply pressure, but maybe add a few dollars to the finishes budget as well.

“The drawings show no provision for Platform Edge Doors.”

Isn’t this a bit surprising? I didn’t expect them to build any, but not even putting in provisions? Maybe the issue is that the provisions to be put in place vary wildly by type of PSD, and so instead of locking themselves into a single design they’ll leave it as a problem to solve in the future? (If that’s the case - that’s a fine strategy tbh.)
With an anticipate date of 2029, they should use that time to decide on the platform screen door design and manufacture. Then the last thing to be done would be the installation of those platform screen doors in 2029 2030 2031 or whenever.

With an anticipate date of 2029, they should use that time to decide on the platform screen door design and manufacture. Then the last thing to be done would be the installation of those platform screen doors in 2029 2030 2031 or whenever.
No way it will finish in 2029. Maybe 2035 if we are lucky. Given their track record.

Back