1679109216694.png

1679109254003.png

Source https://www.youtube.com/@peakfpvmedia

curious if the residents will be in the community or shut in for the most part. also if the street level will cater to the neighbourhood.
This project has always been a tough one for me to figure out if I like it or not - unlike some of our parking lot replacements, this project didn’t start with a blank slate.
The building replaced a decent amount of affordable, low-scale apartments, replacing with a high end retirement tower. It probably adds many more people and a few jobs from a statistical perspective, but really unclear if it will actually generate more vibrancy or street life given the use than the buildings that predate it. Of course, the Building looks nice and modern, but the trade-off isn’t a clear win that the community is better off for it.

That said, retirement and supportive senior housing is critically needed and the location is great for it (just like how the location is good for many other uses too). So it’s a mixed outcome - the city and community are probably better off, but gentrification forces are in full display here as a material amount of rental was displaced with high-end seniors facilities.

Were they rentals? I thought it was an older condo complex that got hit hard by the 2013 flood, and faced significant repair costs (and thus, assessments), or had an option to sell the entire complex to make way for this new project. I might be remembering wrong though.

I don't recall what happened exactly with those older apartments. I recall them getting hit by the flood but don't remember the outcome. I recall people living there at some point not long before the building was demoed, I think someone here on SRC mentioned there was an eviction notice given about 6 months before the demo. Maybe I'm imagining thing, as I can't find the post.
Streetview shows people there as late as Oct 2018, and then the place is boarded up May 2019.

Were they rentals? I thought it was an older condo complex that got hit hard by the 2013 flood, and faced significant repair costs (and thus, assessments), or had an option to sell the entire complex to make way for this new project. I might be remembering wrong though.

found this, photo from sept 2018.

DCA40124-1395-45E5-9FB0-1A5DF3BCE37B.jpeg

dont have a picture but noticed today they are finally prepping the streetfront/sidewalk.

looks alright, def wider with trees, benches etc.

Back