Suggestion for a "construction techniques" forum

I wonder how thick floors (and walls) typically are. Imagine hearing an upstairs neighbour scrape their chairs every time they eat! What does the building code require? Obviously, a subfloor is key (e.g., plank, hardwood, engineered hardwood). A parquet floor on concrete is next to useless. In my experience, sales people rarely can speak about how well a unit is protected against noise transmission through walls and floors.

It may be helpful to have a general forum on construction techniques, where knowledgable people could share their ideas (the Mike Holmeses of high rises).

I wonder how thick floors (and walls) typically are. Imagine hearing an upstairs neighbour scrape their chairs every time they eat! What does the building code require? Obviously, a subfloor is key (e.g., plank, hardwood, engineered hardwood). A parquet floor on concrete is next to useless. In my experience, sales people rarely can speak about how well a unit is protected against noise transmission through walls and floors.

It may be helpful to have a general forum on construction techniques, where knowledgable people could share their ideas (the Mike Holmeses of high rises).

I don't know what it is, but I know there is code to minimize noise transmission from unit to unit. As for flooring, most often floating floors are employed to greatly reduce sound through the slab which is quite effective with laminate or hardwood.

I think the thickness might also have to do with the type of cement used. I'm sure there are different mixes of cement which are stronger and more weight-bearing than other cements.

I think the thickness might also have to do with the type of cement used. I'm sure there are different mixes of cement which are stronger and more weight-bearing than other cements.

Concrete is the stuff you mean bud, cement is not much more than a glorified glue.

A few more pics from Friday courtesy our neighbour at 45 Charles.

Working on the 8th level... and you can see the beginnings of the 9th level.

SDC10056.jpg

SDC10050.jpg

SDC10051.jpg

This base of this tower's gonna be very prominent, and really stand out at night.

CASA is quite the project to follow, thanks to all these great, regular updates. It's taking its time which also makes the anticipation greater. :)

Casa Condominium Progress, Aug. 31, 2008

Work on the floor of the 10th level is well underway.

The last pic is a panorama... love the green space here... I've never noticed before that the Comfort Inn has a huge outdoor patio. What a great spot.

I suspect though that it is rarely ever used.

^And for comparison's sake, here's where they were exactly one year ago.

Totally agree. I keep waiting for someone to say, "Hey, I'm a construction worker on that site and I can tell you that the standard is..."

But this has yet to happen for this or any site. I can't believe construction workers or someone from those companies aren't visible on this forum.

I know that many of them take a lot of pride in their work and to have a virtual fan site like UT you'd think they'd speak up.

I'm sure they all Google their own worksites and would easily be able to find Urban Toronto.

But this has yet to happen for this or any site. I can't believe construction workers or someone from those companies aren't visible on this forum.

For the sake of anonymity I haven't overtly said which sites I've worked on, or for which companies (and I don't think I've said which trade, but I could be mistaken), tho I do laugh whenever someone catches me in a picture (it's happened at least twice in the last month).

I've kind of given up on posting technical information because I find either no one cares, or whoever does care only cares insomuch as they want to argue with me over it, so I can't be bothered anymore.

And really, being a construction worker doesn't entail that one would know anything at all about building codes. I'm given a blueprint and I follow it, and that's about the limit of what most people would know. I would notice if some little detail were changed (like, if building X had something installed at 36" centres, while every other building in the city had them at 18"), but that isn't knowledge of engineering and code so much as it's knowledge of common practice.

Casa Condominium Progress, Sept. 8, 2008

^Thanks for that reply. It's good to know there are site workers on UT. And please inject any technical info you have whenever possible. I think most people on here would find it useful info.

Below is Casa this morning. At work on the floor of the 11th level. 36 more levels to go...

DSCN3689.jpg

^Thanks for that reply. It's good to know there are site workers on UT. And please inject any technical info you have whenever possible. I think most people on here would find it useful info.

Agreed. Technical info is certainly desired by me.

The construction elevator bits and pieces are being assembled at the south end of the site.

So are you saying the brainwaves at Cresford are being weasels and are trying to clad this 47 storey all-glass tower with the cheapest glass possible?

Back